How do I make broken glass panes

I am building a new 3 track Engine Shed I am building in the 1960's so would expect to find broken windows and dilapidation

But

How do I model such broken glass in plastic/polycarbonate sheet convincingly

The Engine shed is of a Midland Railway design with a single Pitched rood with the Glazed area being the top third of the roof above what will be remaining of the smoke vents.

Just a thought if there's another thread with similar ideas please redirect me I have searched and found nothing to help me

• RMweb Premium

This is useful as I'm doing something similar, except it is in some of the windows in a (genericish) Wills Southern two road shed. I was not as imaginative as you guys and was just going to chop some fine, clear plastiglaze. I've used some corrugated plasticard in one window arches; it is fitted to appear as if it has been roughly fitted from the inside, leaving a gap at the top of the window. This actually looks quite good IMO.

P @ 36E.

simply scoring you glazing material will give you cracks, for fully broken panes you possibly need to use a broken piece of glazing material.

As with all modelling, there is more than one way to get an acceptable result

Thanks Guys

for the start of the idea flow

glass is a definite NO as the 8 Grandkids love to see the layout

CD Case too thick

OHP Film is just TOO expensive at present but got loads of packaging and a little roughing with some Wet & dry should do the trick and I've got loads of scalpel blades so going to have some fun over the next few days

UNLESS

someone comes up with a better idea

I shall start by saying I haven't tried this, but I was thinking

that you could put some plastic glazing material in the freezer

overnight. Then in the morning it might be brittle enough to

snap/shatter into more realistic 'broken glass'

Just a thought, Jeff

OHP Film is just TOO expensive at present

If you want to PM me your address, I'll gladly chuck a couple in the post to you - I have a boxful from "the old days" hanging round just in case it comes in handy (and since the OHP is long gone it's unlikely we'll ever need it again), and won't miss a couple. It should at least give you a chance to experiment, being A4 you should have enough for plenty of windows.

A completely safe technique that I have seen give a good impression, was the plastic glazing having been given the dusting of filth already described, then had a suitably shaped matt black patch painted on where there was to be a broken pane, representing the 'dark hole' typical of looking into an unlit building interior from outside on a bright day.

A completely safe technique that I have seen give a good impression, was the plastic glazing having been given the dusting of filth already described, then had a suitably shaped matt black patch painted on where there was to be a broken pane, representing the 'dark hole' typical of looking into an unlit building interior from outside on a bright day.

Nice idea - but one problem in that I am planning on lighting the interior with a few soft white LED's removed from an old bike light not all lighting positions will be used so it appears that some are broken but enough so that this wouldn't work

I have tried the scalpel trick and am finding that a heavy scoring dirtied up looks quite good as a cracked pane and at present still trying to get the Sharded broken look but it looks quite good as long as I don't make the holes too big

Now think I need to make some proper frames to give visual depth/height

• RMweb Premium

I have achieved good results by taking the clear plastic glazing film out of windows and striking it a sharp blow on the workbench with a nail punch. It cracks, splinters and crazes in much the same way as does glass when hit by a stray piece of ballast or other hard object.

In a past life when I wanted some filthy glazing for an Airfix Engine Shed I used 'greaseproof paper' or similar 'purloined' from the kitchen draw and liberally coated it with satin varnish. When the varnish was dry I poked out some entire panes. At the time I did't want any broken panes but I cannot see why you couldn't have some cut lines and remove a few triangular pieces when the varnish has dried.

Just a thought

Ray

• 1 month later...

Well thanks guys

The glazing is done the roof is almost finished /roof walkways are drying as I type just got the roof apex and chimneys to sort now and then to wire up the lighting system

Whilst I am also working on

making a good job out of a Triang Trestol (totally wrong at the bogie level but ) it almost looks authentic now and has a ballasted load

A Jinty that refuses to run (the wheelset is shorting out on the chassis)

an office building to match the Engine Shed

further scenic touches on the layout

Forgot to say Photo's to follow

Archived