Wainwright 'C'

Ian Hargrave

I'm amazed that the price remains the same regardless of whether it is in that fully lined SECR livery or the plain black SR and BR liveries.

According to the latest on the Bachmann website the SECR version has an rrp £10.10 higher than the black one.

I hadn't noted that about the official prices but I pre-ordered one BR black and one SECR version from Hattons and the prices are the same - £69 for either. Even more of a bargain!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I thought I had posted this query but it does not seem to have up loaded.

With acknowledgements to 3 link for using his photo for reference, it appears that the 'C' pictured has leaf springs above the frame on the tender, whereas the Bachmann model does not, Am I correct in assuming that the tenders are supposed to be different or is this an omission on Bachmanns part, either way it is still a beautiful loco but I would like to know out of curiosity. post-7211-0-82444500-1344265562.jpg

Indeed Chris is correct this is an O1 which is currently out of service... all be from reports not for long... similar all be not the same. All be don't be suprised if the C-Class is not the only SECR loco they will be doing.... especially after all the effort they have put in getting the livery on one of these models.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you gentlemen, I confess to having little knowledge of 'C's and 'O's save to say they are both beautiful locos and both deserved of a place in anyone's collection

A prototype question, the "copper" small bore tubing (presumably oiling) runs on both sides of the full scale locos always seem to be rather "wiggly" (presumably poorly supported) - the same applies to some other Southern locos.

Was this always the case, or was it just poor maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post on this forum so please bear with me. I'm tempted by the black C Class with the sunshine lettering but despite hours of looking in all the wrong places I can't establish when exactly that livery was introduced. (Some time in 1938?) My locos (T9 and N) are olive green with yellow lettering. I also have the Hornby Maunsell carriages in olive. My layout operates in a timeframe between 1935 and Summer 1939 so my question is could I realistically run the black C Class with them or would that livery have come later ie during or after the war? Thanks. Paul.

Indeed Chris is correct this is an O1 which is currently out of service... all be from reports not for long... similar all be not the same. All be don't be suprised if the C-Class is not the only SECR loco they will be doing.... especially after all the effort they have put in getting the livery on one of these models.

Yes, the O1 was reboilered by Wainwright using the boiler from his "H" class.

If anyone is thinking of fitting a sound decoder go and listen to the prototype. I was there today and every fourth beat is different from the other three which I was informed was due to problems in the valve gear which is affecting power output. Interesting to listen too though.

Godders

Indeed Godders, I heard them moaning about the same thing end of of July, lack of power thats all i could hear the footplate crew speaking about.. Shame really on had an exam on those particular parts a few years ago. Just hope it doesnt end up like the P-class 178.

This is my first post on this forum so please bear with me. I'm tempted by the black C Class with the sunshine lettering but despite hours of looking in all the wrong places I can't establish when exactly that livery was introduced. (Some time in 1938?) My locos (T9 and N) are olive green with yellow lettering. I also have the Hornby Maunsell carriages in olive. My layout operates in a timeframe between 1935 and Summer 1939 so my question is could I realistically run the black C Class with them or would that livery have come later ie during or after the war? Thanks. Paul.

Wartime matt black (1940–1950; a wartime labour-saving livery, Hope this is correct, borrowed from that great thing called google and wikipedia.

... every fourth beat is different from the other three which I was informed was due to problems in the valve gear which is affecting power output...

... chuff, chuff, chuff, ROAR! ? Exhaust valve blowing through, very common failure mode on slide valvers. Not only do you lose the power on that piston stroke, but you are also providing a near direct path to atmosphere for the boiler so the steam supply can be run down while the fire gets pulled about. Straight into shop.

• RMweb Gold

As far as wartime black is concerned, the HMRS Livery Register #3 LSWR & Southern (1970) quotes locomotives emerging in black from Eastleigh after March 1941, and Ashford after July 1941. The "Sunshine" lettering that adorned them was a variation on that introduced in 1938, possibly, says the HMRS book as a result of the original supply of transfers running out.

• 1 month later...

Finally succumbed when I found they could still be ordered from Hattons at £69.00. Then found some (free) ply boxes being given away at a local engineering company, so no excuse for not starting on a Southern layout this weekend!

If anyone is thinking of fitting a sound decoder go and listen to the prototype. I was there today and every fourth beat is different from the other three which I was informed was due to problems in the valve gear which is affecting power output. Interesting to listen too though.

Godders

Having only just seen this i thought i would respond,

The reason the loco was so out of beat and underperforming was due to the fact that the cylinder bores have worn over time causing the cross heads to completley mis some sections of the slide bars and beacause of this wear it is now having the whole cylinder block dropped out of the frames to enable us to bore out the cylinders and put new liners in ala 178 and rebuild up the valve face surfaces she is an old girl now so next year would be a good time to record her

• RMweb Premium

Being a freight engine, in the Maunsell era its livery would have been the same as this http://www.maunsell.org.uk/virtual%20shed/541/541_profile.htm (i.e. unlined black with primrose lettering and numbering in the Maunsell house style). When Bulleid arived on the Southern in 1937, one of the first things he did was to instigate a livery change as he considered Maunsell livery 'old fashioned' and imediatley started experments to find something better. The resultant Malachite green for Passenger / mixed traffic engines and black for freight, both with his new sunshine lettering style was therefore actually developed just before the outbreak of WW2, a fact which meant that pre war Bulleid livered engines were relativley rare and usually confined to the more important classes.

So to answer your question, in 1938 / 39 you might have been able to see a sunshine liveried C class, but 99% of them would still be in Maunsell livery. Hopefully Bachmann will produce one in such a livery in future but if you are feeling brave you could allways get hold of some transfers and have a go yourself (although the cast numberplates fitted to the cabsides might be a problem)

• RMweb Gold

So to answer your question, in 1938 / 39 you might have been able to see a sunshine liveried C class, but 99% of them would still be in Maunsell livery. Hopefully Bachmann will produce one in such a livery in future but if you are feeling brave you could allways get hold of some transfers and have a go yourself (although the cast numberplates fitted to the cabsides might be a problem)

Not quite so, according to the HMRS Livery Register. While Bulleid did indeed introduce new lettering to accompany the various shades of green from 1938, the "Sunshine" version, which is that available from HMRS and other sources, was not introduced until 1941, was a re-design using a black interior line and green blocking, and with rather less gold leaf than Bulleid's original design.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived