Wainwright 'C'

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

For those concerned that the SECR was located in SE London and Kent,far from other railways, I would gently point out that one of its constituents, the SER, also had a railway running right across LBSCR territory and even the LSWR, from Redhill to Guildford (Rob McC to note!) and thence to Reading, where it rubbed shoulders with the GWR main line. That must enable a few quite modest what-ifs, I should think.

For those concerned that the SECR was located in SE London and Kent,far from other railways, I would gently point out that one of its constituents, the SER, also had a railway running right across LBSCR territory and even the LSWR, from Redhill to Guildford (Rob McC to note!) and thence to Reading, where it rubbed shoulders with the GWR main line. That must enable a few quite modest what-ifs, I should think.

As if that gorgeous tempting sample from Muz weren't distraction enough Ian, you go and put it slap bang in GWR Thames Valley territory! With this and the Blue Pullman, Bachmann really are pushing the proverbial boat out.... it certainly makes me wonder where we'll be regarding pre-grouping releases in a year or two from now... ;)

The myriad very good reasons for not producing a Birdcage Trio set get steadily less. A lot of the tooling would be common to some of the IoW post-war carriage stock, and I would hazard a guess for increased interest here, within the year.

Although a dyed-in-the-wool SW type. one of my childhood stations was Albany Park, and Wainwright 'Cs' could often be seen here in early BR days, using the Dartford Loop to get from Hither Green to points east.

So, when our ex-LSWR needs are fully met, we could well turn to ex-SECR for a bit more nostalgia.

PB

.....Bachmann really are pushing the proverbial boat out.... it certainly makes me wonder where we'll be regarding pre-grouping releases in a year or two from now... ;)

It makes me wonder how many people are tempted by such things when they fall outside their usual sphere of interest. And do they live in a display case and get a run out when no one's watching?

Guilty m'lud.

RP

Ah, what a lovely prospect this opens up! Being of modern tastes myself, and eschewing these old-fangled SECR engines, I have just bought a Bachmann Standard 4MT 2-6-0 No.76069 second-hand from Modelfair, having ummed and arrred for a few minutes. The deciding factor in my cave-in being that my trusty shed allocation books shows this engine as being 70C Guildford in the mid-late 60s after time at Basingstoke.

Now I shall try to find out as much as I can about likely workings in the 1957-67 era from Guildford. I have several relevant maps and some books,(like 'Southern Counties Steam') but the true nature of the workings somewhat escapes me. Any anecdotes or references gratefully received, and an impressive photo will hopefully be born of the inspiration.

I am also curious about the fate of the Petersfield-Pulborough line through Midhurst, and the line from Midhurst to Chichester.

Apologies if this is too far from SECR Wainright territory! Oh, and I have

http://www.semgonline.com/home.html

and am just discovering new things... and answered some of my own questions

http://www.semgonline.com/location/stations/p02.html#petworth

Rob

Just noticed the 'gearbox' protrusion at the front of the firebox. Pitty this component couldn't have been 'half width' at this point. In black it will be difficult to notice, but in green the premature stopping of the lining is noticable. I can'it believe every mm of material is necessary in this area... Shame, this is the only major compromise I can see in this model. Come on Bachmann. If Dapol could get daylight under the boiler of thier 4mm scale terrier in the 1990s (they did!) anything is possible!

...But I do hope the coal load is removable makes it looks like tender drive.

Since Bach commenced putting 21 pin sockets in tenders (from the G2A?) the coal load has also been the cast metal ballast weight. A very snug fit, but easily enough removed from said G2A, and also the ROD and 3F. (Let joy be unconfined, well executed models of common freight classes.)

Wasn't the SER involved in the original Channel Tunnel project too? Now that really might have opened up interesting possibilities............ ;)

Just noticed the 'gearbox' protrusion at the front of the firebox. Pitty this component couldn't have been 'half width' at this point. In black it will be difficult to notice, but in green the premature stopping of the lining is noticable.

There's something slightly odd about the firebox - possibly it's slightly too wide at the bottom as well as the protrusion at the front.

And whilst I'm in a criticising mood, the coupling rods look like they'e come from a 1950s Hornby-Dublo loco and aren't in keeping with the finescale appearance of the rest of the model.

I think the sunshine Southern black version shall have to be the unusual/unlikely substitute for a Black Motor 700 that somehow accidentally found its way to North Cornwall. I have to justify it somehow. Just like the Dukedog that also made (will make) its way to Padstow on a Bodmin Road service with a B set and the 42xx/52xx that showed up with a string of clay wagons not from Wenford Bridge but needing to be shipped from Padstow long wharf.

These new models are just to good to pass up and with only occasional batch production now the norm. I will have to "invest" even where it does not fit the prototype I am modelling.

I saw Wainwright C classes regularly from my school playground alongside the line close to Welling station on the Bexleyheath Line, Eastern Section, in the 1950s .They were often visible too in Bexleyheath coal yard, now charmingly called 'Foxes Hollow'!

Now, more importantly where are the iconic 4 Subs? ;O)))

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

Now I shall try to find out as much as I can about likely workings in the 1957-67 era from Guildford. I have several relevant maps and some books,(like 'Southern Counties Steam') but the true nature of the workings somewhat escapes me. Any anecdotes or references gratefully received, and an impressive photo will hopefully be born of the inspiration.

I am also curious about the fate of the Petersfield-Pulborough line through Midhurst, and the line from Midhurst to Chichester.

In reverse order, Midhurst - Chichester closed to passengers in 1935. It was a line through gorgeous West Sussex countryside, and despite being single line, had a 4-platform station at Singleton. Why? Because when the line opened in the 1880s, it became the station for Goodwood, added to which the then-Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, was wont to visit friends near there, so a sumptuous station was seen as necessary. The station buildings on this stretch from Lavant to Midhurst are all of the same design, by T.H.Myres, as the Bachmann model of Sheffield Park.

I think you may now know a little more about Pulborough - Petersfield, which was originally two lines end-to-end, LBSCR and LSWR, with two separate stations at Midhurst. Southern Railway influence came to bear and the LSWR station closed in 1925 (I think), with Petersfield trains for the first time using the LBSCR station. The passenger service ceased in Feb 1955.

Both these lines are covered by Branch Lines to Midhurst, one of the well-known Middleton Press books.

Steam working from Redhill to Reading ceased on 2.1.1965, although Guildford shed had steam until 1967. Again Middleton Press have some books with a few pics of Guildford down the years.

• RMweb Premium

I don't care where they roamed, my SECR version is on order and it will certainly roam around my layout with some period goods wagons and almost certainly a couple of nice looking coaches. I have to say that is probably, no make that definitely the most beautiful loco in RTR I have ever seen, and if that is a preprod livery I cannot wait to see the finished article. I am assuming the coal load can be replaced with something a little more accurate

SECR painted version now on the Bachmann website. It should come with a health warning for your wallet. Please don't drool on your keyboards.

That lining is just beautiful.... I dare anyone to buy one and er, weather it... or at least the smokbox, chassis, running plate and cab roof!

Cough, splutter..... sorry!

There's something slightly odd about the firebox - possibly it's slightly too wide at the bottom as well as the protrusion at the front.

And whilst I'm in a criticising mood, the coupling rods look like they'e come from a 1950s Hornby-Dublo loco and aren't in keeping with the finescale appearance of the rest of the model.

Don't forget, this isn't THE final model. Just a painted example to show off the SECR livery. Not knowing the prototypes history, it could just be a EP used instead.

Don't forget, this isn't THE final model. Just a painted example to show off the SECR livery. Not knowing the prototypes history, it could just be a EP used instead.

I do hope so,although the other samples seem to have the same firebox design as well. Hopefully it's less noticeable on the black examples.

That lining is just beautiful.... I dare anyone to buy one and er, weather it... or at least the smokbox, chassis, running plate and cab roof! Cough, splutter..... sorry!
Or repaint it in to WW1grey?

I don't care where they roamed, my SECR version is on order and it will certainly roam around my layout with some period goods wagons and almost certainly a couple of nice looking coaches. I have to say that is probably, no make that definitely the most beautiful loco in RTR I have ever seen, and if that is a preprod livery I cannot wait to see the finished article. I am assuming the coal load can be replaced with something a little more accurate

Which reminds me: I'll have to buy some nice period PO wagons to go with mine when it comes - crafty exercise on Bachmann's part to make us buy more of their products?? ;) :devil:

Or repaint it in to WW1grey?

Who brung him? Sentenced to a day in the stocks! :P

Have to say "What an amazing loco and the lineing is just stunning" i will have to get the early BR one ,mind you having a layout set down in Devon ...but who care's i want one!.

Well done Bachmann for another smashing model....now a black motor 700?.

Darren

There's something slightly odd about the firebox - possibly it's slightly too wide at the bottom as well as the protrusion at the front.....

That's the thing about turn-of-the-century 0-6-0s - there's not a great deal of space to hide a motor and gearbox. I found this when working on both the O1 and the "C", and I wondered if it would be possible to have a fully-articulated geartrain.

I think the actual pysical differences are slight, as Bachmann have already allowed for three different chmney types etc. and I think without having had the chance to double check photographs is very slight and down to minor lining details like the the steam reverser which the Bluebell have not lined on 592 as per the Bachmann model that might have been lined in pre grouping days as they tended to line anything that they could!

To be fair to Bachmann I have always understood this to be a model of 592 as on the Bluebell and it seems spot on in that respect.

Steam Reverser certainly IS lined on the Bluebell. Bachmann seem to have missed this off, rather than being 'authentic'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48495011@N05/6635939117/

A Correction to watch out for on the finished item. If they can do those lovely axle boxes, they can do the steam reverser

(sorry, between this thread and the O2 Thread, I seem to be obsessed with steam pumps!)

Archived