chaz

• RMweb Gold

The next few pictures are of the Trackside Signs posters.

P1050968-2%20600%20x%20466_zpst0ezo0zr.j

P1050965-2%20600%20x%20509_zpsel14f4na.j

P1050970-2%20600%20x%20456_zpsreyrgo2p.j

P1050966-2%20600%20x%20351_zpsy4bmqwlk.j

That must be the best road surface in North London. Maybe a few dodgy repairs, patches etc might make that expanse a bit more interesting.

P1050975-2%20600%20x%20461_zpsap3lczbg.j

P1050969-2%20600%20x%20450_zps3jyxviyu.j

Chaz

Horses were still in use around this part of London back then even if only the rag & bone merchants so you could leave a deposit or two, don't forget the dogs too and it was often white back then as I recall from the butcher's bones...

Talk about getting down and dirty!

Kevin

• Like 2

Horses were still in use around this part of London back then even if only the rag & bone merchants so you could leave a deposit or two, don't forget the dogs too and it was often white back then as I recall from the butcher's bones...

Talk about getting down and dirty!

Kevin

Dog pooh? YUK! Horse turds? Maybe, how big would they be to 1:43.5 scale?

Talking of horses, I remember our coal being delivered from a horse drawn flat-bed. As we had no cellar the coalman used to clatter through the house to get to the back yard with my mum chivvying him to avoid marking the wallpaper.

Chaz

• Like 1

I finished the Slater's BR standard van yesterday. A few points that might be of interest...

To fix the the brake pipes I eased them away from the buffer beam and applied superglue to the peg and the wire loop before pushing them home.

P1060022-2%20600%20x%20422_zps87xgmosm.j

Next I superglued the spring, which represents the hose to the end of the pipe.

P1060024-2%20600%20x%20438_zpswhq4opyl.j

I bent up some 0.8mm brass wire.

P1060021-2%20600%20x%20418_zpsgivylsix.j

After cutting the wire to length I pushed it into the spring and then superglued the end coupling in place. 

P1060023-2%20600%20x%20466_zpsbvle2tbr.j

Why not stow the hose on the bracket provided? (To the left of the coupling slot)  Well I think it might well interfere with the operation of the Dingham coupling that I will fit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of points about the roof.

The next picture shows how I fit the rainstrips. I hold them in position with gentle pressure from a scriber - using a finger is quite likely to result in a fingerprint etched into the plastic by the solvent.

P1060028-2%20600%20x%20480_zpsz7xckfam.j

I find that you need to bevel the plank above the door to get the roof to fit nicely.

P1060029-2%20600%20x%20581_zpsfmlfr2ne.j

I filed this angle to the edge, trying the roof and filing a bit more until it would fit properly. The van now joins the MOGO in the queue for the paint shop.

P1060030-2%20600%20x%20249_zpsyfvmtms5.j

Chaz

• Like 3

I am not at all sure about that brake hose location, Chaz. Vac brake pipework was standardised to be on the left of the coupling, which would make much more sense with the storage bracket. If Slater's suggest it should be fitted to the right side, then I think that's an error.

• RMweb Gold

Dog pooh? YUK! Horse turds? Maybe, how big would they be to 1:43.5 scale?

Talking of horses, I remember our coal being delivered from a horse drawn flat-bed. As we had no cellar the coalman used to clatter through the house to get to the back yard with my mum chivvying him to avoid marking the wallpaper.

Chaz

Let the rivet counters do the measuring I think on this one for actual scale. I know what you mean about the coal man. My grandmother used to send him and his mate scurrying around the back alley at the end of the yard and refused them entry to the house, always making sure they delivered the right grade of coal by standing on the back step and watching them in her very best Peggy Mount (George and the Dragon) style.

Kevin

• Like 1

Let the rivet counters do the measuring I think on this one for actual scale. I know what you mean about the coal man. My grandmother used to send him and his mate scurrying around the back alley at the end of the yard and refused them entry to the house, always making sure they delivered the right grade of coal by standing on the back step and watching them in her very best Peggy Mount (George and the Dragon) style.

Kevin

I remember the coal man delivering sacks of coal to be put in the concrete bunker at the back of the house. We then had oil-fired central heating installed in 1966, but it was back to coal-fired central heating when we moved house in 1971. The boiler was heated with hard anthracite. Some of it and its ash survives from 1978 in a couple of containers that I liberated for modelling purposes and can be seen on Cwm Bach.

• Like 3

Just to completely and unashamedly further hijack this thread - we must be back in the Stone Age here, as my humble Residence at Smith Towers is still heated by a solid fuel stove (which is my only source of heat) and my coal has just been delivered by a hulking young fellow in open sacks. So now I have a satisfying heap of the black stuff in the shed to last me another two weeks.

It was not delivered by horse and cart, sadly . . .

John

• Like 1

I am not at all sure about that brake hose location, Chaz. Vac brake pipework was standardised to be on the left of the coupling, which would make much more sense with the storage bracket. If Slater's suggest it should be fitted to the right side, then I think that's an error.

Dammit! I have just checked with some wagon books and you are quite right. It's my mistake, not Slater's, pathetic isn't it? Now I wonder how secure the superglue is.....

Chaz super-glue should "socket break" free from plastic, if it's a porous surface it will disfigure the surface.  Looking at your build it should come free quite easily as there doesn't look like many glue points.

Edited by Barnaby

Chaz super-glue should "socket break" free from plastic, if it's a porous surface it will disfigure the surface.  Looking at your build it should come free quite easily as there doesn't look like many glue points.

Thanks, Barnaby, I will give it a go. The one thing I don't want to do is to break the buffer beam.

Chaz

Don't be too hard on yourself. You'd be surprised how many times I have to double-check things like this because I'm working with a model upside down in the bench!

"a model upside down in the bench!" I wondered why it happened - that explains it! Still pretty pathetic, and bl**dy obvious to anybody with more than a dozen brain cells. Ho Hum.

Chaz

Chaz

A brief warming with the soldering iron will weaken the superglue - though the gases given off by cooked superglue are probably lethal, so don't overdo it! In any case it would temporarily and locally weaken the plastic to which the superglue is attached, which hopefully will enable you get it off without breaking the buffer beam. You might want to cut the additional wires and leave their tails in the floor anyway, so you'd only have to deal with the spigot cast onto the fitting.

HTH

Simon

(And horse doings, about the size of a small apple, though I suppose it depends on the size of the horse...)

Chaz

A brief warming with the soldering iron will weaken the superglue - though the gases given off by cooked superglue are probably lethal, so don't overdo it! In any case it would temporarily and locally weaken the plastic to which the superglue is attached, which hopefully will enable you get it off without breaking the buffer beam. You might want to cut the additional wires and leave their tails in the floor anyway, so you'd only have to deal with the spigot cast onto the fitting.

HTH

Simon

(And horse doings, about the size of a small apple, though I suppose it depends on the size of the horse...)

Thanks Simon, but no need for heat, just a bit of "worrying" with a pair of snipe-nose pliers and it all came free.

P1060031-2%20600%20x%20368_zpsnooqs18i.j

No damage, just a crust of dried superglue to file off the underside of the buffer beam. Am I right in thinking that superglue doesn't stick well to dried superglue? Obviously the holes will be new, I can make new wire supports and will clean any residue from the pipe castings before refitting them in the right place (thanks Heather).

Chaz

You get some very atmospheric photos.

Thanks Peter. The problem I have is finding any new ones to take! I tend to avoid shots from the back forwards as there is no backscene at the front (well obviously).