Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

Gordon that box section should clip in further with the cutouts around the upstands, presumably it would then stay in place properly? The fact they have done that as a separate detail does suggest reuse with other classes.

No worries Craig, I just quickly placed it into position. To fit it properly I guess you will need to unplug the tender properly and take it off the loco. I'd prefer to do that in daylight and with higher magnification glasses. Of course my sausage fingers won't be an asset and I'm sure there may be some cussing and swearing let alone crawling around the floor looking for that elusive part which just pinged out of the tweezers....

Still wish they'd supply a diagram though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So whos going to be the first to weather theirs?:lol:

Mine will get weathered at some point, all be it very lightly given the loco seemed to be kept in a very clean condition.

That said it will be getting TPWS etc, loosing the buffer beam numbers and getting OHLE flashes added as soon as it arrives!

Anyone know where I can get some suitable etched ballance weights for the new wheels?

Don't know if I'm first, but those connecting rods in bright nickel plate are a bit loud - just painted mine in a paint called oily steel ......

The early beginnings of weathering !!

Geoff T.

• RMweb Gold

Oh I can see me phoning the NRM. Snot fair! I gotta spend some money :(

looks like bad news for the EM/P4 brigade. Don't think you'll get a fag paper into that clearance! Never mind an extra couple of mil regauging!

Dont think its quite so bad. looking closely at the chassis in the previous photos the break gear is obscuring the view somewhat. certainly from what you can see of the frames in the photo showing the front bogie, theres a good mm or so on each side clearance between wheel and frame. much like there is on the bogie.

Will see for sure once mine arrives, but certainly looks possible.

Interesting to see them driving on both wheels, was always rather surprised steam models didnt do this, so maybe will help with the running? Guess its lack of experence coming through, but looking at that I cant see a whole lot of difference between it and a Bo Bo chassis thats only powered at one end.....

My CoT has now arrived in a very large brown box in perfect condition, it looks absolutely superb and runs like a sewing machine. Have lined it up with my Dukedog and I just hope Bachmann now have a opportunity to make the whole range of GW 4-4-0's - great!

I suppose the bets are on for when the first CoT's appear on eBay .... and for how much!

post-6389-12608287360972_thumb.jpg

Just given mine a quick run to make sure it all works before being wrapped up for the 25th :)

Of course, I had to shunt a few things out of the way to clear the DC controlled loop, and oh woops! There is a rake of GWR clerestory coaches in the way. Who put those there?

post-101-12608299308508_thumb.jpg

post-101-1260829944429_thumb.jpg

Superb model - well done to Bachmann and the NRM!

Regards,

Dan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, think I will give them a call in the morning and change the delivery address.....

That said, I suspect that the 10 days they give for delivery may be a slight underestimate given how many people must be in the queue ahead of me!

Forgot to mention its Parcelforce 48

Mine was posted Friday and arrived today.

I dunno if they would go straight to another GWR loco. Might do a Japanese bullet train next :)

Think I'm gonna phone em tomorrow n make it my xmas pressie to myself.

Is that loco/tender gap set or can it be closed up a bit (assuming you don't have scary tight curves on your layout)?

Still think someone should do the April special livery...

• Like 1

While I know I'm anti gimmics, I think the opening doors has some merits. At least then the loco could appear to be being service on shed.

Got back after being out today and admiring City with another engine thats technically in the National Collection. I cant believe people on the thread are already wishlisting away onto the next one....

A suggestion could be:

post-7347-1260833804308_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow detailed smokebox interior. Hornby needs to catch up now.

Problem is what's in there isn't accurate and if they do make it accurate by putting it behind the smokebox you either lose space for a decoder or weight. I'd prefer they left it out and people could stick to the Dapol/Kitmaster version for their shed scene rather than waste a nice running model!

The Bachmann Jubille could have had the tube plate in the right place I think but they left that one empty. The 3MT is bang up against the door looking very silly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Anyone know where I can get some suitable etched ballance weights for the new wheels?

You could try Branchlines and see whether (i) they do balance weights in their Airfix chassis/conversion kit and (ii) if he does, whether he'll let you have any seperately.

Alternatively, it's not that difficult to knock some up from 10 or 15 thou plasticard and an Olfa circular cutter....

• RMweb Gold

Actually matey, this technology has been around for a bit longer than you give them credit for - they're called coupling rods.... ;) :lol: :P

true, but one would think that connecting them with gears would give a more precise mechanism than relying on the rods. Given the amount of slop between the rod and the crank pin the wheels will surely be rotating at a slightly different timing?

Was just wondering if perhaps that might have been part of the reason for solid chassis 440s not running well in P4...

Well I've just given into temptation (or should that be finally got my wages so I could afford it) and ordered 1. Another Truro heading to the north east in the near future. Looks like we are going to be an outpost of Swindon

There might be the odd example of Swindon up here good freind but remember on my line NER has dominion!

Interesting to see them driving on both wheels, was always rather surprised steam models didnt do this
Actually matey, this technology has been around for a bit longer than you give them credit for - they're called coupling rods.... wink.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

There are two bumps on the keeper plate as if to clear a gear wheel on each axle. I wondered at first if this was to take the burdon off the rods. It's intrigueing because I would have thought there would need to be some slip in the drive to prevent 'wind-up'.

There are two bumps on the keeper plate as if to clear a gear wheel on each axle. I wondered at first if this was to take the burdon off the rods. It's intrigueing because I would have thought there would need to be some slip in the drive to prevent 'wind-up'.

The Bachmann GE 45 ton Switcher also has the same arrangement of rods and gears.