Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

• RMweb Gold

A bit more new on the wheels,

Have heard back from Gibson, unfortunately they cant do the drivers on a 3mm axle yet (but say they are currently working on it.) Will report back once they are available.

Another question with the model, I take it that the included 2nd bogie is suposed to be fitted with an NEM pocket as well? Just get the impression from reading the instructions that its supposed to come with one bogie which dosnt have a NEM pocket (Which would make a lot more sense...)

Both bogies have the coupler pocket. Seems odd but that's the way it is. You're supposed to cut the pocket off one and keep the other for a 'mint' restoration job when you want to sell, I guess. However, it's dead easy to break the thin plastic guard irons off while cutting the pocket off, so its useful to have a spare bogie. You'll also find that the middle frame piece between the two axleboxes is only supplied on the original fitted bogie, so you'll have to break them off and refit them if you use the spare bogie. Not well thought out, in my view.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit more new on the wheels,

Have heard back from Gibson, unfortunately they cant do the drivers on a 3mm axle yet (but say they are currently working on it.) Will report back once they are available.

Another question with the model, I take it that the included 2nd bogie is suposed to be fitted with an NEM pocket as well? Just get the impression from reading the instructions that its supposed to come with one bogie which dosnt have a NEM pocket (Which would make a lot more sense...)

You would have thought so but Chris Leigh has fitted the one to his in this months MR and in the photo you can make out the piece he's cut.Bachmann should have supplied one without the nem pocket,it would have been much neater.Perhaps its an assembly error on China's part.How many modellers will run Truro tender first ! :angry:

You would have thought so but Chris Leigh has fitted the one to his in this months MR and in the photo you can make out the piece he's cut.Bachmann should have supplied one without the nem pocket,it would have been much neater.Perhaps its an assembly error on China's part.How many modellers will run Truro tender first ! :angry:

But as the NEM pocket is an integral part of the moulding, it would have meant having a more complex tool for moulding it without it, or another tool altogether. It would have made more sense for the pocket to have been a separate part glued on. That way the spare bogie could probably have been supplied without it fitted.

• RMweb Gold

But as the NEM pocket is an integral part of the moulding, it would have meant having a more complex tool for moulding it without it, or another tool altogether. It would have made more sense for the pocket to have been a separate part glued on. That way the spare bogie could probably have been supplied without it fitted.

I didn't realise that but in my defence I haven't got mine yet. :blush:

• RMweb Gold

Both bogies have the coupler pocket. Seems odd but that's the way it is. You're supposed to cut the pocket off one and keep the other for a 'mint' restoration job when you want to sell, I guess. However, it's dead easy to break the thin plastic guard irons off while cutting the pocket off, so its useful to have a spare bogie. You'll also find that the middle frame piece between the two axleboxes is only supplied on the original fitted bogie, so you'll have to break them off and refit them if you use the spare bogie. Not well thought out, in my view.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks for the confirmation, will make sure to be extra careful when removing it.

At least the pocket on the tender is a lot easier to remove (in that by removing one screw you can remove both the pocket and its mount.

Personally I'd have said a much better approach would have been fitting the coupling pocket to the underside of the buffer beam rather than too the bogie, thus removing the need for the spare, but maybe thats a bit too much common sense.....

Another question, Is it possible to remove the coal load from the tender? looks a bit too shiny, and the shape of the coal pile rather reminds me of the look of those old tender drive locos that had the huge coal pile to clear the top of the motor.

Personally I'd have said a much better approach would have been fitting the coupling pocket to the underside of the buffer beam rather than too the bogie, thus removing the need for the spare, but maybe thats a bit too much common sense.....

Probably wasn't feasible if the loco was to go round any sort of curve (or even over points) without derailing either something it was coupled to at the front, or itself.

Another question, Is it possible to remove the coal load from the tender? looks a bit too shiny, and the shape of the coal pile rather reminds me of the look of those old tender drive locos that had the huge coal pile to clear the top of the motor.

From the outside, it looks like it's part of the moulding, and not removeable.

(Tender body off, then out with the cutting tools......if that's what you want. Not taken the tender of mine apart to check, as I'm reasonably happy with that, so far.)

The coal load - a bizarre shape - is not removeable (without cutting). I guess its that shape to allow space for sound equipment.

The bogie which I damaged on our review model when cutting off the NEM pocket has been digitally retouched so you won't tell much from looking at the pictures, other than the guard irons are still missing. Nothing else was retouched.

CHRIS LEIGH

Could the spare bogie be used to replace the much criticised Lord of the Isles bogie?

CoT has the later de Glehn bogie. I don't think any of the Singles got fitted with those, or if they did, it was only in their last days, when they looked a lot different to the Triang body moulding.

Could the spare bogie be used to replace the much criticised Lord of the Isles bogie?

I've modified one with a bogie from the Airfix City kit, although it's the wrong type it improves the general appearance of a Single.

In the midst of ordering my CoT from the NRM shop, I remembered that I've had an RTR City of Truro for many years... ;)

post-1656-12624535485282_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12624535738233_thumb.jpg

Not quite as detailed as the one above, but it too is double lined! :lol:

I am looking forward to getting my hands on the Bachmann CoT. The review in MR and the comments/photos on here persauded me no end! :)

In the midst of ordering my CoT from the NRM shop, I remembered that I've had an RTR City of Truro for many years... ;)

post-1656-12624535485282_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12624535738233_thumb.jpg

Not quite as detailed as the one above, but it too is double lined! :lol:

I am looking forward to getting my hands on the Bachmann CoT. The review in MR and the comments/photos on here persauded me no end! :)

I've still got my one as well.

Just thought I'd let you all know about a small issue I had with my CoT.

It arrived with the smokebox door detached, but that wasn't too difficult to solve.

As I run my layout on DCC, I ran my CoT in on my rolling road for an hour in each direction on DC. All OK so far.

After all the festivities had subsided I managed to convince my family that Bourton on the Water would make an excellent post Xmas trip - model railway shop is within staggering distance of the pub, and at this time of the year you can actually park on the main street!

I acquired a Hornby Sapphire decoder and installed it without any problems. Then tried running CoT my layout - oh dear!

My fiddle yard uses Peco setrack points, and Cot stalled on every one. Not quite the level of perfomance I was expecting. I mistakenly assumed that the tender pickups must be at fault, so spend some fruitless time trying to improve the already functional contacts. It transpired that it was the loco wheels that weren't picking up correctly. The problem was that one of the wires to the tender, was not soldered at all to the contact point. Easily fixed once I had found the culprit!

Just thought I'd let you all know about a small issue I had with my CoT.

It arrived with the smokebox door detached, but that wasn't too difficult to solve.

Mine's closed, doesn't want to easily open, and I'm too afraid to force it for fear of it detaching!

My fiddle yard uses Peco setrack points, and Cot stalled on every one. Not quite the level of perfomance I was expecting. I mistakenly assumed that the tender pickups must be at fault, so spend some fruitless time trying to improve the already functional contacts. It transpired that it was the loco wheels that weren't picking up correctly. The problem was that one of the wires to the tender, was not soldered at all to the contact point. Easily fixed once I had found the culprit!

My 'test' layout, not fixed down and simply laid on the dining table, also uses Peco setrack points, and my Truro runs perfectly well over them!

Curiously, when I was testing Truro for the first time (as well as some other new locos) I had a similar problem to you, but with a Hornby Dean single (Duke of Edinburgh). This should pick up on all wheels on the loco (including the drivers with traction tyres!), and that kept stalling on the points. I found that one wire to the front bogie had become detatched, similar to that on your Truro's tender. (OK, the bogie does move, obviously, so the wire is susceptible to breaking, but this was new.) It now runs a treat, and will out-haul many a 4-6-0, even with those single drivers! I've also found that on these locos with lots of pickups, many are either not making proper contact, or lose contact when the wheelset is at full travel to one side (such as may happen when going over points), as you seem to have also found.

I was told the model is in much better condition than the real thing

Only paint wise, and a spruce up is in hand.

I bought one from York yesterday for a friend, and there are only a dozen of the standard issue left in the shop at NRM itself, so if you are in the area and want to avoid postage...but don't go in the current weather, it's 'orrible!