Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

Disappointing! CoT is a loco that needs to be 'dressed to kill'. The full array of lining looks great and its a real pity to put it into that drab black frame livery that she had when she was tucked away in the old Swindon Museum. Now she'll just look like any other mid-1930s Great Western loco. As to it being 'correct' for the condition she's in - well, fully lined out with the bauxite/red frames and sandboxes is also 'correct' as that's the livery she carried in 1957. It's a celebration year and a celebrity loco ought to carry a livery which reflects that. Still, at least we won't see that awful BR black again!

CHRIS LEIGH

I'm not sure if this is right, but is not the livery she's being put into, her livery as withdrawn and subsequently preserved by the LNER in the 1930s? If so this is a livery she has not been seen in for eighty years and, while not necessarily being the prettiest of liveries, it is one wholly appropriate to her form, and the legacy of the Great Western Railway.

Not only that, but it'll allow her to line up alongside other GWR engines and give the impression of a particular period being depicted. She'll fit right in - that, I am looking forward to seeing more than anything :)

Disappointing! CoT is a loco that needs to be 'dressed to kill'. The full array of lining looks great and its a real pity to put it into that drab black frame livery that she had when she was tucked away in the old Swindon Museum. Now she'll just look like any other mid-1930s Great Western loco. As to it being 'correct' for the condition she's in - well, fully lined out with the bauxite/red frames and sandboxes is also 'correct' as that's the livery she carried in 1957. It's a celebration year and a celebrity loco ought to carry a livery which reflects that. Still, at least we won't see that awful BR black again!

CHRIS LEIGH

I'd quite like one in the BR black, it looked rather good. Has to be prototypical mind so only on the the side ;).

Right then, the combination of me being off work, the wife at work and young Gaylord being in nursery has finally occurred and I've got round to testing/decoder fitting a backlog of stock.

I've just tested my CoT, which runs well straight out of the box. But whilst on the rollers, something struck me about the balance weights on the driving wheels. I've not seen the prototype, and I've not seen a clear picture on the web, but their positioning looks wrong.

As I type, CoT has its cranks facing the 10 o clock postition. But the balance weights, instead of being at the expected 4 o'clock position, are at eight o' clock on the leading axle, and 6 o'clock on the trailing one.

Is this right ? I could, of course, be talking cock, and am more than willing to be correctetedpost-4636-1265881466823_thumb.jpg

I've not seen the real one either, but I thought the balance weights are more to do with the positioning of the cranks inside the chassis where the con rods connect on the real thing - the con rods outside the frames aren't necessarily what the weights are balancing. I'm sure I've seen real locos with balance weights in different positions on different wheels before now.

Sorry I can't help, but have you looked through the existing thread on the Bachmann model of City of Truro CoT thread? Someone may have discussed this already in the 19 pages of posts.

I did do a search for "city of truro balance weights" and that brought up lots of irrelevent stuff, and nothing from the thread. And that thread seems to have many pages of wibble about "its too expensive" and stuff about its livery. So I think (hope) that this is virgin territory !

Jenny Emily - point taken about the balance weights being for the con rods inside the frames etc, but I've never seen a steam loco with balance weights in different positions on different axles. It doesn't look right, and I can't see why the weight would be in a different posiiton.

Right then, fired up the computer again to do an image trawl (most of my stuff on here is posted via mobile phone) and its true, CoT does have balance weight in different postions on each axle.

Well I never ! And yes, i was talking cock !

Anyone know why the balance weights would need to be fitted like this (and don't say to balance the engine and its hammer blow/track forces....!)

I've just had a look at the locos in the display cabinet on the wall of my office, and can report that the Super D has one axle with the weights in a different position, a Pannier the same, the 14xx has them in different positions as does the J94/Hunslet Austerity.

So appears to be nothing unusual.

• RMweb Premium

The balance weight on the trailing axle should be opposite the coupling rod, that's what it balances. The one on the driving axle balances the coupling rod and the con rod/cranks so this one is in a compromise position. Most (not all) inside cylinder locos had the inside cranks at 180 degrees to the outside crankpins. I was this compromise position which led to "hammer blow".

Michael Edge

The other postings cover this , but may I add that many models are wrong on this point, it is rarely portrayed correctly on models, it is a complex area as not only "mass" is balanced, but also potential power thrust is taken into account, which was a matter dealt with by the CME's experience, often not scientific design.

I'd be far more concerned the designer of the loco left moulding lines on the cranks, quite unnecessary, especially on a high priced model loco.

Stephen.

I'd be far more concerned the designer of the loco left moulding lines on the cranks, quite unnecessary, especially on a high priced model loco.

Stephen.

Indeed, although it doesn't look as notcieable to the naked eye, the camera has been very cruel. Don't get me wrong, I voted with my cash and decided it was worth it. It's lovely.

I thought that CoT was actually lined out while in the museum. :huh:

In the old York museum it was lined, while in Swindon chapel museum it was unlined although you could see the 1957 lining under the plain green.

really for unlined livery it should have a 3500 gallon tender, hence the most correct livery for its current condition would be 1920 lined with black frames.

David

It would appear the NRM have become a victim of their own success. I popped in yesterday for a wee mooch around and asked about CoT. They were sold out and officially were waiting til April to get more in. Because they have been selling so many big ticket items, their turnover has been attracting the attention of the dreaded taxman (even though they are a government run Institition and probably have charitable status).

She did let slip that there was a small delivery due in a week or so.

The full array of lining looks great and its a real pity to put it into that drab black frame livery that she had when she was tucked away in the old Swindon Museum. Now she'll just look like any other mid-1930s Great Western loco.

Aw, I dunno, that might be what quite a lot of people would like! Roll on that Toplight suburban set in crimson lake...

It would appear the NRM have become a victim of their own success. I popped in yesterday for a wee mooch around and asked about CoT. They were sold out and officially were waiting til April to get more in. Because they have been selling so many big ticket items, their turnover has been attracting the attention of the dreaded taxman (even though they are a government run Institition and probably have charitable status).

She did let slip that there was a small delivery due in a week or so.

Said delivery is now in, I bought one for a friend yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to disagree with the esteemed Mr Leigh, I think a ltd edition of 500 Br Black lined Truro's would sell really well. Modellers have always liked to have something a little different and associated with humour, and that stunt is still the best April fool I have seen :D I'm sure David Willcock, ex-Steam railway editor and a fan of any livery as long as its BR Black would buy one!

I would just like to add my thoughts about CoT!

My model arrived in double quick time, so top marks to the NRM. It performed faultlessly straight from the box and looks absolutely fantastic. Talking of the box, it was my first Bachmann purchase since they changed the style of their box I think the new design is excellent. Theres very little chance of damage and although a little time consuming, its very easy to box and unbox the loco.

I would run it on my own layout with maximum 5 coaches, something it can seemingly cope with well, unless they are the heavier Hornby Pullmans. It took two attempts to run up the gradient at my club, but put in a fine performance on a 7 coach express on the way back down later in the day. Top marks to Bachmann for such a fantastic loco.

On the repaint front, I'd rather it stayed as it is, especially as I'm not a GWR fan, I'd rather see it in the more aesthetically pleasing livery which makes it so recognisable to the public. In its new livery, I can't imagine people being anymore excited by it than a 28xx or something similar.

• 4 weeks later...

In the old York museum it was lined, while in Swindon chapel museum it was unlined although you could see the 1957 lining under the plain green.

really for unlined livery it should have a 3500 gallon tender, hence the most correct livery for its current condition would be 1920 lined with black frames.

David

And after full research by Bob Timmins the painter, that is how it now is, lined, with Great (garter) Western on the tender - but no pictures as yet as she's not finished, but I am told she looks stunning. Can't wait!

• 4 weeks later...