Building a 'Princess Royal' pacific in 4mm

Not quite that simple, as you well know Ivan, the method you describe will not give flat/square ends to the length of the boiler. What you really need is someone who can either:

a. Do the maths and convert the angles and lengths into a CAD drawing.

b. Draw it in 3D and convert back to a 2D shape.

Yes, yes, I kneau zat..... I sent you the Roche / Williams method in the first place!

To add to what Mike has said above, having looked again at the CAD plot I have here, it has two very subtle arcs at a massive radius for each end (likewise the solitary boiler band) and subtly diverging lines for the sides. At least if I muck up on the first one, I have a second one to assist! The same applies for the firebox, which is in two halves.

Make sure your firebox profiles are symmetrical - kitmakers sometimes turn out cast fireboxes with one side ending up a different shape to the other side.

The late Guy Williams used to cut out only half of a firebox end, for example - he would then flip it over, resulting in symmetrical ends.

The same applies for the firebox, which is in two halves.

Make sure your firebox profiles are symmetrical - kitmakers sometimes turn out cast fireboxes with one side ending up a different shape to the other side.

The late Guy Williams used to cut out only half of a firebox end, for example - he would then flip it over, resulting in symmetrical ends.

I think that Tim was talking about the firebox sides. Not the front and rear profiles of the fire box.

But I still like the idea of doing the profiles in two half's. I must remember that one. With CAD that will be a dodle.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

Standard 5MT?

The Hornby one is rather undernourished (to the tune of a millimetre or so) and the firebox is worse still.

It's something I'd never noticed until you pointed it out on this thread, but the boiler on the Hornby one suddenly looks less than elegant when compared with Mr Edge's work on the first page of this thread.

Do you think the Princess should be a candidate for a future retool Tim?

Edited by S.A.C Martin

Standard 5MT?

Definitely not a 5MT. They have three rings on them, as against the four shown here. It can only really be a Britannia now, unless Morgan has got a fictitious Standard 8 2-8-2 on the go?

It's something I'd never noticed until you pointed it out on this thread, but the boiler on the Hornby one suddenly looks less than elegant when compared with Mr Edge's work on the first page of this thread.

Do you think the Princess should be a candidate for a future retool Tim?

Twenty seven years (and maybe more) shows up a lot! Given that Hornby have only recently done a sound version of it (costing a few ££) in the current catalogue (46207), I would think it extremely unlikely that we'll see a brand new one. It's a shame really, but I do feel Hornby have other priorities, though they're for discussion elsewhere! :)

Cheers,

• Like 1

Now see if you can do a Type 1 for a "Princess"...... :locomotive:

Is certainly easy enough to do. I've already done a sloping axis taper boiler as a test. The Brit was easier still as the boiler axis is horizontal. The basic shape takes no time at all in 3-D. Plotting the position of all the boiler furniture and projecting onto the 3-D shape is the time consuming bit.

Fireboxes are the next thing on the list to figure out in 3-D.

Is certainly easy enough to do. I've already done a sloping axis taper boiler as a test. The Brit was easier still as the boiler axis is horizontal. The basic shape takes no time at all in 3-D. Plotting the position of all the boiler furniture and projecting onto the 3-D shape is the time consuming bit.

Fireboxes are the next thing on the list to figure out in 3-D.

You could do what Warren Shephard does in 7mm scale, and offer a range of etched boilers and fireboxes, so that people can use them to build / modify their own models without having to break the bank by buying a full kit. The modular system this gives is a good one, and should have more exposure.

Yes, it's been a class bit of work, with a number of people involved to get this far. I've drawn the smokebox - needs alteration after a conversation with Morgan - the running plate is drawn and that will need altering as well - I had intended to reuse some of the DJH bits, but that's gone out the window now.

Chassis will be from Comet and that will worked into the design of the running plate.

The firebox will be etched from several pieces. It's a very complex shape, I'd like to be able to build it and then be able to lower the smokebox, boiler and firebox onto the running plate as one. Presently looking for drawings of the cylinders and firebox. I've got the cab covered. If there's anyone who'd like to share the drawings they have...

And the second etch has just gone to PPD for an improved sprung pony truck.

Tim

Sorry to have dragged this so far off target, looking forward to seeing more.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

If Mike Edge doesn't etch a boiler he must have an easier way to do it - he etches the bits he needs to - so why are we all rushing off etching brass which might be easier to do another way - looks like brass for the boiler and steel for the smokebox/firebox or may be involved?

Over to you Mr E

(and when do get to weather one??)

Edited by chessieliner