Maunsell Open second/third

Tim Hale

I haven't noticed the dips in either of my TO's.

post-6958-0-41535400-1382288462.jpg

post-6958-0-87079200-1382288504.jpg

My repainted low window BCK.  Still need to figure out the number for a 1940's set that would have shown up at Padstow..

post-6958-0-06205300-1382288638.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I have two of the BR models and on reading this thread I immediately went to inspect them.  Viewing first with the naked eye, it appeared both had a dip in the centre of the coach roof.  But on laying a straight edge along the roof there was indeed no dip at all.  The problem was that the rainstrips on each side curve up to the centre of the coach, and hence can fool the eye (well mine anyway!) into thinking the roof dips when in fact it doesn't.

MVRNUT

thanks for your input. In conjunction with BMR above it seems like this is a widespread, if variable problem.

As indicated by my picture of 6575, the real thing isn't necessarily straight. My only other Maunsell, Imperial Airways BCK 5783 also has a slight dip in the middle of its roof, however it is generally hard to notice, is a single fault, and much smaller than the two dips on the TO. I'm prepared to ignore it (just to prove I'm not a complete perfectionist) The point with the TO is that, as my pictures above indicate, it IS very visible to the naked eye. No prototype servicable coach would have such severe irriguarities.

Prototype or not, the variability would indicate that the dips should not be part of the design. If they were designed to be there, I would expect consistancy!

Anyone care to comment on the original BR model? That will provide a further take on the analysis.

Taking a first close-up perusal of the BR version, it did appear that a slight 'wave' was present. However, when I laid a straight edge (6" rule) along the roof, taking care to ensure it was parallel to and as near to the centre line, as possible,  it didn't show up anything significant. 

The additional two P/P trailers, pictured, also passed my QA method. How G-BAOF's coach passed Hornby's, is anybody's guess.

post-7009-0-20076200-1382366993_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-70557000-1382367003_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-55080000-1382367015_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-85595400-1382367025_thumb.jpg

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

If it is of any help to those still seeking these out, a trader at the Chichester Lions Club show on Saturday had stocks of both the SR and BR(S) flavours available, I was surprised and delighted to pick up a BR green version.  According to the blurb supplied he was a trader by the name of Paul Wells of Frimley but no other details available.

• RMweb Gold

If it is of any help to those still seeking these out, a trader at the Chichester Lions Club show on Saturday had stocks of both the SR and BR(S) flavours available, I was surprised and delighted to pick up a BR green version.  According to the blurb supplied he was a trader by the name of Paul Wells of Frimley but no other details available.

He was also well supplied with such stuff at the Farnham show the previous week - at 'attractive' prices.  It would seem that he has no retail premises and therefore presumably obtains his supllies from the wholesaler although two of us did form the impression that some of his stock might well have come from Modelzone (presumably via said wholesaler?).

The Farnham show guide included his postal address but did not make clear if he does mail order so it might be best not to repeat it?

I had a look again today, seeing as there was some day light until it got rather wet and dark...
Anyway it is actually quite difficult to see, I can just about see them on Autocoaches first image he's posted, it depends on what position or angle you look at it from... some times looks worst than others... anyway here are a couple of images... with straight edge and a different angle.DSC03093_zps7ec43cf0.jpg

DSC03094_zps5d36f11b.jpg

Looks very simiar to mine, though possibly not quite as bad, but its very hard to tell from photos.

Still waiting for a replacement.

Very disappointed with Hornby. They've proved with the BR versions they can get it right, but when it comes to the SR versions, there's an inexplicable lapse in quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Saga continues.

Replacement obtained, same problem (body not twisted, but roof distorted). Was warned by retailer that the roof problem affected all his stock. I also checked stock at another retailer, same problem.

Accepted replacement with previso I would take it up with Hornby. Phoned Hornby, basically told nothing they could do (they could try to repair it, but lets face it, you can't replair a moulding fault), and that I needed to send it back to retailer and ask him to send all his stock back to Hornby. They also said they had no more stock (which I knew) and couldn't confirm any further batch in Jan. Also said no one else had reported the problem. I'm amazed that various finescale modellers have not highlighted this? If you're modelling track gage to the nearest 0.01mm, then a dip 10x that in the roof must be an issue...?

In the past Hornby have been fine with dealing with faulty items, now its 'retailer return only' WHAT IS GOING ON? They even paid my postage once.

So, due to my desire for an 'as speced' coach, I have to ask my retailer to sacrifice possible purchases (by less fussed individuals) by sending his entire stock back?

Hornby are making it very difficult/impossible for the customer to highlight failures in QC.

Seems that way I saw a couple of others with similar issues to ones listed, I know Hornby and probably Simon Kholer are attending a club exhibition on Saturday, I will try and grab a word, if there isn't a long queue to see if he's aware. To be fair I never noticed the dips first time round on opening up, but after it was highlighted here I had a closer look.

But I will see if I can ask about it on Saturday, maybe take mine down with me.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had an email from Hattons to say the next batch of the BR(S) Green version id due into stock on or after 4th April!!

Hope they sorted the roof out on these.

G.

Nobody seems to have reported any of the first BR version having the problem.

All the affected ones appear to come from the batch produced in SR livery; the fault is not present on all of them and varies in severity.

That tends to indicate a production error with that particular batch rather than a design or tooling issue.

I acquired three of the BR green ones plus a couple of p/p sets, for myself and friends, and all were perfectly straight within my measuring ability.

John

• RMweb Premium

Anybody know how many of the SR version No 1400 were produced?

Presumably they all sold within a few days.

I was aiming to get one but didn't pre-order and several/most of the retailers seemed to go from "Pre-order" straight to "pre-order" again, which is the current situation.

Are Hornby actually going to produce any more, does anybody know?

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Anybody know how many of the SR version No 1400 were produced?

Presumably they all sold within a few days.

I was aiming to get one but didn't pre-order and several/most of the retailers seemed to go from "Pre-order" straight to "pre-order" again, which is the current situation.

Are Hornby actually going to produce any more, does anybody know?

Cheers

Keith

The only one listed for this year is in BR green.

John

• RMweb Premium

The only one listed for this year is in BR green.

John

True, but I believe that only half (or maybe even less) of the original quantity Hornby ordered (of the SR version) made it to the UK in 2013 with the shortfall due to follow sometime in 2014. On the other hand I believe the order for the BR version was completed in full - and quickly sold out prompting the re-release in the 2014 catalogue.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking at the image in the 2014 Hornby catalogue, R4538A will be S1327S.

This has now arrived. Kernow MRC's photos show a set number (05?) on the offside of one of the coach ends. Wasn't aware the loose vehicles ever carried set numbers. Can anyone provide more info please?

• RMweb Gold

This has now arrived. Kernow MRC's photos show a set number (05?) on the offside of one of the coach ends. Wasn't aware the loose vehicles ever carried set numbers. Can anyone provide more info please?

Sets 100-109 were formed from 1959-1962 consisting of one of these open coaches plus a BCK.  Coach 1327 was part of set 105 along with BCK 6649, and the earlier 1314 was part of set 104 with BCK 6589.

See here - http://www.semgonline.com/coach/sets.html

Archived