RMweb

Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

good info from Tom.

ive still not found any black "Inter-City" or black "1" transfers.........to do some modelling amendments.

anyone else had any joy? water slide or rub on-i'm not fussed.

Hi,

I got my sheet of transfers from Sheffield Transport Models - it's an old FMR sheet, if I remember correctly and contains just about every possible wording combination for Exec HSTs in N.

We cancelled the boxed set of blue/grey 'SC' prefixed coaches due to low pre-orders and the knowledge that Dapol were to bring out the same coaches with the 'M' prefixes on general release.

As a result, we then took several orders for the blue/grey coaches which have now been released.

Our ScotRail liveried box sets should be available in 3-4 weeks [blatant plug: Pre-orders still be taken on these, but not at the shop tomorrow as I will be at the Glasgow SEC show]

Edit: Note that the livery samples of our ScotRail coaches will be on display on the BRM stand at the SEC show.

Mike, C&M

Edited by 87029

I got my Blue/Grey & Intercity Exec HST buffets yesterday. The Blue/Grey one needs the roof painting black and the gangway ends painting white, to match the rest of the set. The Intercity one needs the '1's removing and a cantrail stripe adding.

So all in all not too onerous.

I got my Blue/Grey & Intercity Exec HST buffets yesterday. The Blue/Grey one needs the roof painting black and the gangway ends painting white, to match the rest of the set. The Intercity one needs the '1's removing and a cantrail stripe adding.

So all in all not too onerous.

Maybe it's not too onerous - but it's still unnecessary. If Dapol don't have anyone who knows about the liveries, why don't they join a group such as this or the BR Coaching Stock Yahoo group and post the livery designs before signing them off? I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be happy to advise them of anything needing correcting - and it would be in the interests of both the buyers, who would have correct models, and Dapol who wouldn't lose sales due to mistakes, or end up having to withdraw most of a batch as appears to have happened with the loco-hauled coaches with 'InterCity 125' branding.

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang,

Of interest do we want correct or matching liveries ?  Should the TGS and future coaches have lining and logos correct or match initial Dapols under Dapol Dave control liveries as in the market place with misplaced/missing  legends and wrongly matched stripes or roof colours.

It would be possible to issue corrected livery plans from photos or from a composite of pictures - have you tried to find good square on HST coach shots - yes there are some but not a busting amount - unless you know or have some ?

Just waiting for postie with coaches ....

Robert

Maybe it's not too onerous - but it's still unnecessary. If Dapol don't have anyone who knows about the liveries, why don't they join a group such as this or the BR Coaching Stock Yahoo group and post the livery designs before signing them off? I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be happy to advise them of anything needing correcting - and it would be in the interests of both the buyers, who would have correct models, and Dapol who wouldn't lose sales due to mistakes, or end up having to withdraw most of a batch as appears to have happened with the loco-hauled coaches with 'InterCity 125' branding.

ha. this mans right.  not only that i tried to remove those pesky CDL lights on my test coach and slipped causing my knife to slice down across the coach and all the colours ruining it !  most teed off.

we shouldnt have to be faffing about like this.......

incidentally this sub forum had an announcements thread from Dapol Dave.  Now that he has moved on do we have a new representative to take over the thread and keep customer relations up?

ive emailed Dapol 3 times now with suggestions about the Mk3s - never had a single reply and I really dont think they would be snowed under every day with similar emails. 

• RMweb Premium

The CDL lights and a single roof type for both HST and loco haulled are a compromise we have to live with or have coaches costing more.

Livery errors are something we shouldn't be getting. There is no reason for putting I/C Swallow elements on an I/C Executive model unless someone's just done a copy and paste without then re-checking the artwork before sending it to China.

Dapol's Mk3s have been a farce. Plenty of livery errors across the range, inconsistent paint finishes (matt and satin roofs on various releases of Virgin Pretendolino coaches) and a looooooong wait for the TGS. At least I now have my I/C executive TF and buffet so my HST doesn't look quite so silly as it has done for the last couple of years.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

We cancelled the boxed set of blue/grey 'SC' prefixed coaches due to low pre-orders and the knowledge that Dapol were to bring out the same coaches with the 'M' prefixes on general release.

As a result, we then took several orders for the blue/grey coaches which have now been released.

Our ScotRail liveried box sets should be available in 3-4 weeks [blatant plug: Pre-orders still be taken on these, but not at the shop tomorrow as I will be at the Glasgow SEC show]

Edit: Note that the livery samples of our ScotRail coaches will be on display on the BRM stand at the SEC show.

Mike, C&M

I was thinking about buying a set, but wasn't aware that they had been cancelled! I guess I'll have to buy the standard loco hauled versions then.

Have now got a set of the red Mk3a Virgin L/H coaches includiing an extra (spare) RFM buffet.

Thankfully I managed to get a matching DVT a year or two back on the assumption (hope) that a re-run of the above coaches would eventually take place, it always pays to plan ahead.

However (as per the question I've already placed on Dapol's Facebook page) are we likely to a re-run of the red Virgin DVT?

So that if the forthcomong Farish Mk2f's eventually appear in Virgin Red I can form an EBW set using the above mentioned spare RFM.

In the absense of a reply from Dapol does anybody know if these are likely to be in the pipeline?

Edited by jonathan452

Have now got a set of the red Mk3a Virgin L/H coaches includiing an extra (spare) RFM buffet.

Thankfully I managed to get a matching DVT a year or two back on the assumption (hope) that a re-run of the above coaches would eventually take place, it always pays to plan ahead.

However (as per the question I've already placed on Dapol's Facebook page) are we likely to a re-run of the red Virgin DVT?

So that if the forthcomong Farish Mk2f's eventually appear in Virgin Red I can form an EBW set using the above mentioned spare RFM.

In the absense of a reply from Dapol does anybody know if these are likely to be in the pipeline?

Jonathan, I picked up a Virgin liveried mk3 DVT on ebay a few weeks back, and they seem to pop up fairly often.so it's worth checking on there.  If that's no good, there is a forthcoming release in Intercity livery which may go with your Virgin mk3's depending on whether a mixed set is acceptable to you. It was prototypical up until around 2001. However I don't know what's happened to this release, it was due in August along with the Network Rail DVT but it never came and still waiting 6 months on!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gang,

Today I have asked Railtec if possible to do a white print of the Scotrail transfers sheet to allow easy renumbering of the Mxxxxx stock - now in hand. Now we hold our collective breaths for all of 2014 for the 47/7 and DBSO  from Farish . CJM do a v nice one if not willing to wait by the way!

Robert  

Hi Gang,

Today I have asked Railtec if possible to do a white print of the Scotrail transfers sheet to allow easy renumbering of the Mxxxxx stock - now in hand. Now we hold our collective breaths for all of 2014 for the 47/7 and DBSO  from Farish . CJM do a v nice one if not willing to wait by the way!

Robert  

CJM does various very nice locos - but they come with a very large price tag attached! Not saying that they aren't worth it, but you've really got to want one to pay the amount they cost!

• RMweb Gold

Hi All, and Ash39, 

Your comment on Yellow DVT prompted me to contact Dapol yesterday and info delivered a little while ago suggests early summer, but possibly late May - log jam in China joy of the extended New year in China slowing the job. Not forgotten about was the other version his means hopefully the IC livery will come with it. As N gaugers we now have to accept that with OO and O in the portfolio we do not get all management time ! I am sure Yoda would say something really useful at this point ..

Robert   

• RMweb Gold

Hi , great "films" just show how varied buffet designations were... Just back from Rails of Sheffield and have pulled glazing out of three buffets for a coating in white on kitchen/ staff window.

Take roof off, unclip underframe- allow to hang on cables , pull out seating unit from kitchen end and this frees glazing on the sides, unlike early Mk3s windows remove with out pain.  

I masked all outside windows and inside of kitchen end door and all public windows on rest and sprayed Halfords primer white on inside.

Masking off as soon as dry and coaches reassembled in less than an hour - allowing time for cup of tea to let paint dry !

Simples

Robert.

My executive 125 buffet arrived from a well known Merseyside store. I don't know much about coaches but livery and roof wise it's a perfect match for the other mk3 coaches. It really looks the part and at least my passengers have somewhere to buy a 2mm/ft curled sandwich!

As an aside I'm currently running a 6 coach rake (awaiting a possible guards coach!?!) but actually on a compressed model 6 coaches looks about right - impressively long but not filling every loop unrealistically.

• RMweb Gold

The silver swallows on the droplight windows came later on, well into the Chris Green era and were not universal, so that's not a biggie. Still a pity that Dapol are struggling to get these coaches on the ball.

Hi,

just spent some time in YT looking at InterCity liveried MK3 Catering cars...........

Hope this provides more help for those wishing to model prototype formations, although for those in the know, this info may be "snow from yesterday" (as we say here in BRD):

The loco-hauled RFM seems to be uniform with a yellow stripe above the seating bay, and with no stripe (red or yellow) above the catering section. But check out the HST at 14m40s in the clip below. The catering car has no stripe along the whole coach side and the window pattern seems the same as the Dapol Version. Contrasts with the HST (at Tiverton Parkway) at 1m14s in post 321 above, which also appears to have the window pattern on the Dapol coach

Narri Narro & es grüßt

PC