Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

Cheers JB

Your "Bookcase" is what I had in mind after I received my first few Dapol book-sets.

I might go for the Kato route as I want to go for the whole formation, Loco and BG along with the Mk3's then do the same with the Mk2's when they come out.

Also thought of doing freight formations the same way, much easier to take a set amount of rolling stock to run on a club or someone else's layout, not to mention the saving of space.

I'm on the other forum too so Ill go and have a look over there

Ta V.Much

Mark

Dapol describing those as 'book sets' is rather a bad description actually - they've obviously copied the term from the Kato-type boxes, but the Dapol boxes are just rather crappy card boxes with removable lids.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a couple of Kato 8 slot boxes and a couple of JB's Model World boxes, both off ebay, and see which I prefer

Got the Kato boxes of ebay, £16 incl delivery 7 days from Japan.

JB Boxes £10 incl delivery. UK

Each great in their own right pound for pound.

My choice is going to be the Kato ones as long as I can afford them.

Current modifying one for Mk3 formation, BG, 2 x 1st, RFM, 4 x 2nd.

Rgds

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ben

it runs weekdays from Holyhead to Chester then Wrexham Shrewsbury down to Newport and Cardiff. in the morning with a retrun working in the evening.

However it has also been used on football and rugby specials to Cardiff and at least one occassion where it ran from Wrexham to Wembley via Banbury.

One of the DVT's has also been used on the Chiltern push pull services for short periods when one of the regular ones has been away for maintenance / modifivations.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dapol have announced today that the new Network Rail and Intercity Swallow DVTs will be in stock soon. I'm really hoping the picture on the website shows the old DVT and that the livery has in fact been corrected...

JB

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information%2Fnews&news_id=115#.VNpecGiG-Sp

Edit: Just realised if I open the image in a new tab it shows up full size, complete with the new running number. I REALLY hope this is a photoshop job or a photo of a rejected model.

intercity.jpg

Edit #2 to add photo of the real thing, complete with sides that aren't brown...

6286674979_761fb72850_z.jpg

82101 by 40011 MAURETANIA, on Flickr

Edited by jivebunny

To be honest that looks like a bit of a white balance and saturation issue as all the colours look bad, even the black.  Someone has probably just had one out of the box and taken a quick digital snap under the desk lamp.  As you can probably tell my optimism drive is top gear at the moment!!!

I want to be optimistic, but the problem is that's exactly what the original batch looked like in the flesh....

Edit: Found a photo of my original batch DVT for comparison.

intercity.jpg

F46829F1-6833-4379-987F-5C33774E53EE_zps

Edited by jivebunny

I noticed Dapol have added a disclaimer under the photo now:

"Photo is not of production sample and is for illustrative purposes only"

Hopefully it will match the latest mk3 coaches... fingers crossed...

Cheers

Mark

Well spotted, wasn't there earlier. That's a relief then. I did find it a bit hard to believe they'd got it wrong again, especially as I called them about a year ago before placing my pre-order and they confirmed the livery was being corrected to match the newer Mk3s!

Let's just hope it's actually correct.

JB

• RMweb Gold

Hi It looks better in the flesh I am told, The orange stripe on 82101 was unique in positioning and this picked up on model, the upper grey is slightly browner than the early shot put on the face book page and as noted the colour saturation is making it much browner as it has with the Exec/ intercity beige. From a few feet away it looked very good and matched other Mk3s available well.  The stripes are everso slightly lower than first versions and sorts the corner alinement issue.   

No pic but the NR one looks a real treat so hopefully here before new year holidays in China kick in would be really great .

As an aside found alovely pic of an INTERCITY pc plus bluegrey stock - full xc 7 car rake and an Executive liveried power car on rear i the Platform 5 combined vol for 1989.

Robert    

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Viz red/white stripe a lot of angst caused but view folk just starting with Mk3s and the DVT had a better division it defo not match. I have suggested to Dapol that perhaps once this rerun filler done leave alone for a number of years and revisit the whole livery question and create a better spec and hope the chinese actually do it!

I have also asked about an EMT first class as a short run as it is a missing item. for many on the N gauge Forum and here ?    any thoughts on others wanted please post and PM me as well, if you would be so kind !  As ever no promises but always worth a punt.

cheers

Robert

JB,

I was going off the model photos you included in your recent posts

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi Steven,

Not long after I posted the photos Mark (scruff) noticed that Dapol had added a disclaimer to the announcement, basically pointing out that in all their wisdom they'd illustrated their "coming soon" article with photos of the much-criticised old model, which had the incorrect livery. A case of extremely lazy PR if you ask me... It's not as if they have masses of frequent updates to process for their website.

I'm not particularly bothered about the red/white stripe issue myself as I don't really think it's noticeable at this scale unless you look very closely. The critical problem for me with the old DVT was simply that the livery didn't match either the new batch of Mk3s, or even the original batch with the dodgy liveries... As long as on the new one the black is the same black as the current Mk3 stock, the white is the same white and the roof colour looks acceptable at the end of a rake of Mk3s I'll be happy. Any less and it'll be going back to Rails for a refund, probably closely followed by cancellation of the three other Dapol pre-orders I've placed with various suppliers (IC Swallow HST + two 142s) because it's getting a bit boring waiting years for stock that either doesn't turn up or turns up looking wrong.

JB

Totally agree JB.. The first Dapol IC DVT's were not far off the same colour as the early mk3 coaches in IC livery though.

Then Dapol changed to the Dark grey/black for the MK3's which only became available with the latest batch as loco hauled IC liveried coaches. So I've got my fingers crossed the colours on the new DVT are close so I can run them together without something standing out as being the wrong colour again.

It seems to me that the brown shade of upper band colour Dapol used originally was supposed to be Executive Dark Grey, Whereas the darker, almost black shade is supposed to be Falcon Grey which is correct for Intercity Livery but the wrong shade for Executive livery.

Maybe I should get some more of the early release coaches and redo them as an executive livery rake... :scratchhead:

Hopefully the TGS coaches will match what is currently available....

Cheers

Mark

Edited by scruff

Then Dapol changed to the Dark grey/black for the MK3's which only became available with the latest batch as loco hauled IC liveried coaches.

The IC Swallow and Executive coaches with the revised liveriese were released in both L-H and HST form (which is good, since they matched the trailers that came in the HST packs!). I bought two of them plus a buffet to complement my Swallow-liveried HST set... I'm eagerly awaiting the TGS and have pre-ordered the new Executive-liveried bookset which, assuming it's released with Swallow-liveried trailers as was the case with the original batch, should then give me a full rake and a choice of Executive / Swallow power cars to mix and match as could often be seen.

Maybe I should get some more of the early release coaches and redo them as an executive livery rake...  :scratchhead:

Hopefully the TGS coaches will match what is currently available....

The early batch coaches are fairly common on eBay or in shops so can be had at decent prices, presumably people are probably getting rid of them now that corrected versions are available. The Executive-liveried ones with the branding error that have "Intercity 125" printed on the sides despite being fitted with buffers are particularly cheap, a well-known retailer in Sheffield is selling them for about £12 a pop. Remove the "125" and you have yourself a correct loco-hauled coach in Executive livery!

JB

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jivebunny - viz relivering the errored coaches been suggesting that for a long time but never got any responses. The same with the blue grey intercity 125 with the legend too low -easy to remove and use a transfer to replace- done two rakes and best of all the CM02 four mk3s sets also on offer prices of around £72 makes a decent rake - you can clip off buffers and add a Intercity 125 transfers - FOX, Railtec, replica all do them.

I must think that the TGS blue grey livery legend looked to be further up the side but not got another with which to compare.   

Robert