Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Time I posted some progress myself, methinks.

Although not strictly essential for Barrow Hill, this little hole right at the front of the layout was irking me a bit

post-16151-0-06357800-1390176124_thumb.jpg

Pretty conventional stuff. A polystyrene block carved to shape in the foreground (where there was a base to glue it to) and the good ol' chicken wire beyond it.

post-16151-0-11986900-1390176290_thumb.jpg

Mod-roc'd

post-16151-0-01430400-1390176363_thumb.jpg

And now with a plaster covering on. A cocktail of interior filler, PVA glue and poster paint to give it some colour. If I have time, I've give it a basic covering of scatter and plant a couple of trainspotters!

post-16151-0-20686400-1390176500_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the Silver Jubilee has landed!

post-16151-0-32622800-1390176590_thumb.jpg

After a few tweaks it now laps at speed, in both directions

post-16151-0-11466500-1390176731_thumb.jpg

Another essential vehicle for the event. This has also been tested at extreme speed! But any pictures of that are embargoed until after the Barrow Hill weekend... :mosking:

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Another essential vehicle for the event. This has also been tested at extreme speed!

As they say over here - now that's what *I'm* talkin about. Great photos 'Robert'.

• Like 1

Glad you like the O4, I'm must admit I'm very pleased with the results on this one.

You have certainly been busy this weekend, and that Silver Jubilee.......  :O I've certainly decided to model the right period :yes:

• Like 1

Jubilee Set are they Mailcoach ?

Yes, Mick - Mailcoach. Not QUITE finished (eg end boards); their builder (Roy Mears) will be bringing a few bits n pieces for final titivating during the Friday set-up (usual last minute stuff!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And out of BR(LM) land comes....

A track cleaning Toad..

post-7650-0-54927800-1390251990_thumb.jpg

A piece of Hardboard is used to run on the heads of the rails to keep them as clean as possible..

post-7650-0-83466400-1390252083_thumb.jpg

must take care may start to backdated some of my NE locos..

Barry O

sorry for the blurry photos but my phone camera seems to be playing by itself..

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea of using a brake van Barry.  The step boards do a good job of disguising the hardboard.  You can see it but the eye isn't drawn to it.

How much extra weight have you added to get sufficient pressure on the hardboard?

• RMweb Premium

Yes Tom.  

Plan is to test at the weekend - then some more may be made available... might be easier to start with an Airfix kit in bits than hacking a prebuilt one around.

Barry

• RMweb Premium

I like the idea of using a brake van Barry.  The step boards do a good job of disguising the hardboard.  You can see it but the eye isn't drawn to it.

How much extra weight have you added to get sufficient pressure on the hardboard?

None at the moment but I am taking some for its trial runs...will give feedback when that has happened

Barry O

Excellent Barry, I think we are going to need it in the sooty environment.

If you're in the main shed and there are locos in steam it's a very hostile environment for models, specially if it's cold and damp outside. Superb atmosphere though! We took Deepcar to Barrow Hill in it's early days, the scenery acted like a sponge and it was two more shows before we got it running properly again, lots and lots of cleaning required. Another tip, take some crawling boards or old (ie scrap) carpet.  It's still got much of the steam age crud on the floor and crawling under the layout really brings it out! 

Deepcar will be in the relatively clean Deltic depot :locomotive:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your concern. Grantham will be in the main roundhouse, located over the pit road where Blue Peter has been until very recently. I was with Merv (Alcock) over the weekend and he confirms that the A2 has now been moved out into the yard (she will be part of the 12" to 1 foot 'giants' display); this has allowed him to completely renew the pit boards (the sixth road to be so treated in a gradual programme working round the depot). So the condition of the floor will be as good as it can be. I have some carpet already down on the floor in the chapel model railway room(!) where the layout is currently located (solid concrete floor) and intend bringing this along to Barrow Hill.

There will be no locos in steam in the roundhouse (Merv has confirmed). Tornado will be on the turntable but not in steam. All the steam action will be in the yard, Bittern and the Peckett(?) top and tailing on the demo line.

We're well aware of the problems that were experienced at BH Live and have done what we can to mitigate. All we can do is to be ready for anything. I guess the positive way of looking at it is if the layout can cope with the conditions at Barrow Hill then it should be OK anywhere!

• Like 2

Sorry to add more gloom to your Barrow hill visit but when I visited two years ago with 'Haymarket Cross' we suffered quite a few problems with the electrics. It was very cold in the shed we were in and this was September plus it was very damp, I have a cloth cover that covers the whole layout and on both Sat & Sun morning when we arrived to take it off I found it quite damp. The sheds are by their nature very dusty and dirty so be prepared for much loco and track cleaning. Finally remember you're on a concrete floor so wear comfy shoes and get well wrapped up. I really really missed a warm pair of gloves when I was there, couldn't feel my fingers so made things even worse when trying to work on small items.

I wish you all the best and hope it all goes well for you.

Ian H

Thanks Ian,

post-16151-0-75078600-1390382416_thumb.jpg

Gloves have been purchased (Poundshop) and Merv is OK with us having portable heaters with us. His advice was 'wrap up warm'(!) so team Tee-shirts are unlikely (unless worn over duffle coats, Superman style!).

All tips/suggestions welcome - there's bound to be things we haven't thought of.

Edited by LNER4479

Thanks Ian,

attachicon.gifIMG_8435.JPG

Gloves have been purchased (Poundshop) and Merv is OK with us having portable heaters with us. His advice was 'wrap up warm'(!) so team Tee-shirts are unlikely (unless worn over duffle coats, Superman style!).

All tips/suggestions welcome - there's bound to be things we haven't thought of.

May i make a suggestion with regard to the damp conditions issue. If you intend covering the layout overnight, try and aquire some bags of dessicant. You normally find little bags of these inside the packaging of new electrical goods to stop them getting damp. You could suspend some bags under the layout near important electrical components. Twenty five years ago i remember we used tons of the stuff when the company I worked for packaged helicopters built by Westlands that were being shipped from Tilbury to Pakistan!

Paul 4475