Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold

(Just back from yet another bridge strike in Grantham!)

Blimey! There's something to be said for putting bells on chains at bridge height or something...

There's something to be said for putting bells on chains at bridge height or something...

wouldn't that just distract the lorry drivers.... Oh I see bells. I read that as belles :spruceup: the first time round. That would be interesting...

The 'best' one I heard of a few years ago was a bridge strike by a... wait for it... rail replacement bus :umbrage:

Time for an update on a neglected subject, namely ironstone wagons. Although I've done my daftest to ignore the advice in the instructions and have obliterated the word "steel" from one set of transfers in the process (a cavalier application by brush of well thinned Railmatch varnish did the damage), here are some pictures of some absolutely exquisite professionally produced transfers applied to a couple of wagons. The steel hopper wagon in Appleby livery is there purely to show the comparison with the sort of result I was able to achieve by means of home-printed decoration on white paper, stuck to the wagon sides with "Pritt" type glue-stick.  The matching style of white-print transfers applied to the Frodingham steel hopper are beautifully crisp and delicate on the model by comparison, with correctly weighted letter styles and the huge advantage that the painted wagon colour shows through, saving the agony of trying to print a colour-matched background to the white letters. The pro-printed transfers were never designed for the planked hopper wagon also pictured, but the Appleby example shows that the transfers can be applied "off piste" with a little cutting and adjustment of layout. A more convincing model of Grantham's late thirties High Dyke - Scunthorpe ironstone train moves a little closer to realisation

STA79793_zps4626a70b.jpg

STA79794_zps64be3a32.jpg

STA79795_zps89b676b9.jpg

STA79796_zps0722acb4.jpg

Those images certainly re-emphasize the fact that the Appleby-Frodingham steel hoppers were not large by comparison with a standard seven plank mineral.

I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say about the origin of the lovely professionally made transfers. I'll ensure that the maker is aware of this post so that he can either take credit or lay low, according to his preference.....

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Time for an update on a neglected subject, namely ironstone wagons. Although I've done my daftest to ignore the advice in the instructions and have obliterated the word "steel" from one set of transfers in the process (a cavalier application by brush of well thinned Railmatch varnish did the damage), here are some pictures of some absolutely exquisite professionally produced transfers applied to a couple of wagons. The steel hopper wagon in Appleby livery is there purely to show the comparison with the sort of result I was able to achieve by means of home-printed decoration on white paper, stuck to the wagon sides with "Pritt" type glue-stick.  The matching style of white-print transfers applied to the Frodingham steel hopper are beautifully crisp and delicate on the model by comparison, with correctly weighted letter styles and the huge advantage that the painted wagon colour shows through, saving the agony of trying to print a colour-matched background to the white letters. The pro-printed transfers were never designed for the planked hopper wagon also pictured, but the Appleby example shows that the transfers can be applied "off piste" with a little cutting and adjustment of layout. A more convincing model of Grantham's late thirties High Dyke - Scunthorpe ironstone train moves a little closer to realisation

STA79793_zps4626a70b.jpg

STA79794_zps64be3a32.jpg

STA79795_zps89b676b9.jpg

STA79796_zps0722acb4.jpg

Those images certainly re-emphasize the fact that the Appleby-Frodingham steel hopper were not large by comparison with a standard seven plank mineral.

I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say about the origin of the lovely professionally made transfers. I'll ensure that the maker is aware of this post so that he can either take credit or lay low, according to his preference.....

I cannot ignore accolades like these - but I immediately but regretfully add the caveat that I cannot offer such a service to others.

Graham and I came to a Tony Wright-ish tit-for-tat agreement; a couple of hopper wagons in exchange for some transfers.

I have to agree with Graham that the hoppers look superb after painting and the application of transfers; as do the ones that I painted in BR ex-PO livery. I'll post an image of the latter when I get the chance.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Like 3

With regard to the 4-8-2, she never existed apart from a basic Weight Diagram dated 1939!

History records that they would have been built, but Mr Hitler's messing about put a stop to it!

There are several models of this type out there and quite a view photographs that people have cut and shut!

As for my efforts, take one Hornby A3, and extra body, extra wheels and coupling roads. Mix them together using a knife, pliers, hammer (really big one if you are getting annoyed!) add a dash of nickel silver sheet and voila!

Seriously, though if you want to know more check out the Climb every Mountain thread on LNER Forum.

I'm about to tackle the lining out and re-install the motor with extended drive shaft.

The clock is ticking for next Sunday.

By the way, the Iron Ore hoppers are looking a treat. I have located another seam of rock for you to load them with. Just need a Steam Shovel to get it out. Now where's the Meccano set I had when I was a kid!

Paul 4475

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, that electromagnet looks a bit of a monster, when you turn it on do all the lights dim and knives and forks come flying in from the kitchen? :O

Nice neat job though, as always, and the scenery is coming alive now.

Al.

• Like 3

Didn't you know the posh way to hold a jar? I like the way that the chance alignment with the layout legs in the background makes it look at a glace as if Paul has five fingers (including one at least that is very mobile) plus a thumb on his left hand.

Presumably that picture was taken at least six days ago, going by the poppy, so no doubt the entire layout has completed scenery by now.

That's not the half of it - wait until I tell you about the tights and the hairspray :jester:

Aren't they more appropriate for the 1890's than the 1930's?

Phil

Continuing with the good(?) work on the scenery...

We had a further muse over how much of Grantham town we can reasonably portray on the model.

post-16151-0-88641400-1416396141_thumb.jpg 

Here, a piece of corrugated card from some wardrobe door packing (never throw anything away!) has been used to indicate the line of the backscene. What might not readily be apparent is that the last couple of inches of baseboard immediately in front of the backscene is actually part of the ‘fiddle yard’ for the road system and intended to fold up through 90deg for transportation. With this arrangement, it should be possible to include some half-relief buildings against the backscene (including the delightful-sounding ‘Belvoir Baby Carriages’ factory evident in one of the 1926 aerial photographs).

post-16151-0-35161700-1416396179_thumb.jpg

Now then, you Grantham-onians, recognise this? Thought so! Well…

post-16151-0-83408300-1416396195_thumb.jpg

By nonchalantly excluding a whole block of buildings we can incorporate it on the model (all good model railways should have a pub in them somewhere…) and in its correct orientation. Even though just a simple mock up at this stage, the glimpse through to the railway beyond is quite pleasing.

post-16151-0-43748100-1416396206_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the other side will represent the buildings that backed onto the cattle market which has here been set out in a rough layout of how we intend it to be. The distinctive buildings on the left have been mocked up based on further aerial photos. The straight lines of fence indicate where the pens will be (holding each lot awaiting auction) and we’ll put the parade / auction compound in the bottom left hand corner as shown. The aerial photos from 1950 show what looks like a brand new building nearer the right hand corner; we are assuming that was a new, covered auction area, hence it would not have been like that pre-war. Our ‘open aspect’ auction area probably isn’t in the correct place but I think it should still give a reasonable impression of what should be a most interesting feature on the model.

Ooh - nearly forgot: the local breed was (is!) the Lincoln Red Shorthorn - so black n white Friesians are definitely 'out'! 

post-16151-0-73842600-1416396226_thumb.jpg

After all that musing, Paul gives the greenery a second, more uneven layer…

post-16151-0-02807900-1416396236_thumb.jpg

…whilst I tackled a small, but important little job, right near the front of the layout (conscious that this will be horribly on view at Warley over the weekend). This is of course the west entrance to the pedestrian underpass beneath the railway.

post-16151-0-53570700-1416396243_thumb.jpg

Two brick pillars are involved. As a quick ‘how I did it’ sequence, I made these out of one continuous piece of Metcalfe red brick card and here I’m carefully scoring the back of the card, followed by two cuts at 45deg either side, to create a vee in the card prior to folding. If you don’t do this, the outside of the card will deform as you fold it over.

post-16151-0-27720700-1416396251_thumb.jpg

After careful measuring and cutting, the pillars are ‘ready to go’

post-16151-0-67691800-1416396260_thumb.jpg

And here they are in position. Offcuts from the Wills occupation bridge will do the rest…

post-16151-0-53726300-1416396272_thumb.jpg

Like so! Paul has applied a much-better-than-me application of ground cover to the right hand side (including a representation of what we believe to be the unofficial / trainspotters way up to the depot (a fence is required) – did this also double up as a traincrew route through to the Blue Bull I wonder?!!); the left hand side now cries out for similar treatment.

Finally, a couple of ‘fruits of our (well, Paul’s mainly!) labours’ pix to show where we’re up to:

post-16151-0-21654500-1416396281_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-67282900-1416396291_thumb.jpg

This is how it should look at Warley so hope you’ll enjoy. We’re stand A57 in the demo area (it’s not actually referred to as ‘Grantham’ but goes under the somewhat grandiose title of ‘Prototypical track formations using Peco track’, just in case you have trouble finding us)

See you there!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 13

It's nice to see bits of Grantham coming together! With regard to the unofficial footpath comment, there was a bricked up entrance in the retaining wall on the depot side of the pedestrian underpass. This may have been the official route! All lost now under the housing development.

See you Sunday

Paul 4475

It's nice to see bits of Grantham coming together! With regard to the unofficial footpath comment, there was a bricked up entrance in the retaining wall on the depot side of the pedestrian underpass. This may have been the official route! All lost now under the housing development.

See you Sunday

Paul 4475

This bricked up entrance Paul refers to certainly was a way in for folk such as me coming on my bike from Gonerby . And in my day was the way to get from work to the Railway Club for a  "quenching refreshment" , not necessarily the Blue Bull , though of course the "club" would'nt be there in the 30's .

Looking good Graham , considering the limited space you have .

Roy.

• Like 1

Eleven Scunthorpe-owned ironstone wagons with detachable genuine High-Dyke stone loads now sit on my dining table ready to assist with the "track bending" demo. Will three P2s, a P1, a neverwas 4-8-2 and a six-wheel-drive Atlantic spoil things by straightening up all that carefully bent track?

• Like 3

I'll admit that I'm concerned about the movement of the Mountain in front of such a large audience! It has the longest coupled wheelbase of the lot!!

However it does run with its homemade extended drive shaft. I will test run as soon as arrive on Sunday to see if the Doncaster lifting gang will be called out?

Paul 4475