RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

It's lovely to see the well-modelled wooden building next to the top/new shed.  It had a more vital function than as a shed for lifting tackle, however, because it was Grantham Loco's 'Class Room', a facility used for the training of cleaners and loco crew etc. by Loco Inspectors, and also for the more informal Mutual Improvement Classes (MICs). The lean-to annex at the back was a bike shed.  This is gleaned from a large scale plan dating from GNR days, the relevant area of which can be seen about a third of the way down this page on Tracks through Grantham

For the fastidious among us, the building which was there in the 1950s/early 60s, and therefore appears in Keith Pirt's photos, was a replacement class room in a slightly different location nearer the 'shears' (...or maybe it was the original one simply moved along a bit), because the eastern apex of the turning triangle had to be built right where the class room originally stood (i.e. where it appears on the GNR plan and in the Britain from Above pix).  Roy@34F recalls using the [relocated] class room on one of his pages so he'll be delighted to see it on the layout, I'm sure - a corner appears at extreme right of the first picture on the page linked to.

John

I could not help noting that just to the north of the 'classroom' building that Paul has so skilfully modelled is a small building for sand and in one of the aerial shots there was a wagon with a pale load (sand?) alongside the coal wagons. Would that have existed in the 1930s and if it did is there room for another of Paul's excellent buildings?

Tom

• Like 1

With the circular tank? I thought that was water treatment.

One of the maps annotated the building as sand. You may be right about the ash. Will do a bit more research and perhaps we can discuss at the Lincoln show.

Tom

It's lovely to see the well-modelled wooden building next to the top/new shed.  It had a more vital function than as a shed for lifting tackle, however, because it was Grantham Loco's 'Class Room', a facility used for the training of cleaners and loco crew etc. by Loco Inspectors, and also for the more informal Mutual Improvement Classes (MICs). The lean-to annex at the back was a bike shed.  This is gleaned from a large scale plan dating from GNR days, the relevant area of which can be seen about a third of the way down this page on Tracks through Grantham

For the fastidious among us, the building which was there in the 1950s/early 60s, and therefore appears in Keith Pirt's photos, was a replacement class room in a slightly different location nearer the 'shears' (...or maybe it was the original one simply moved along a bit), because the eastern apex of the turning triangle had to be built right where the class room originally stood (i.e. where it appears on the GNR plan and in the Britain from Above pix).  Roy@34F recalls using the [relocated] class room on one of his pages so he'll be delighted to see it on the layout, I'm sure - a corner appears at extreme right of the first picture on the page linked to.

John

Thanks John. Yes I am looking forward to seeing the latest additions to Grantham. I well remember the classroom, and the sand drier; but not in LNER days of course

Hope to see all the happy gang at Newark, all being well and I don't catch the wife's 'flu, a really bad strain it is an' all !

Roy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifDSC00500_LR.jpg

Disaster! Our attempt to reach Darjeeling comes to an ignominious end with No.782 in the dirt, thrown off by a particularly violent lurch rounding a curve. Some thought the driver was trying a bit too hard to keep out of the way of the diesel. Whatever, we finished our journey, somewhat subdued, in the road coaches. Completing the route by steam would have to wait until a following day.

(to be continued)

It all comes of not taking the Ballastmeister with you. It looks as if they need to be introduced to the idea of ballast on certain stretches of that line....

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

Do I feel a narrow gauge model coming on?

We already model in narrow gauge, don't you know, OO being only 4ft 1.5ins ... perhaps we shouldn't go there?

Perhaps we should go here instead:

post-16151-0-83907400-1518739464_thumb.jpg

The iconic Windamere Hotel in Darjeeling, a relic of the Raj, the old colonial hotel where all Brits gravitate to, open coal fires in all rooms and good ol' meat n two veg on the menu!

post-16151-0-38029900-1518739982_thumb.jpg

For our first day based here, we had a freight charter and the weather was, initially, quite kind.

post-16151-0-75975400-1518740164_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, it too fell of the rails. However, on this occasion, partly due to it coming to rest right alongside a pile of old rails, we had it back on in about 90mins and we were on our way again, with loco sounding distinctly off beat!

post-16151-0-18462700-1518740434_thumb.jpg

At Ghum (summit station at 7407ft a.s.l.), a flat wagon was attached and we boarded that to complete the final leg of the journey to Darjeeling in a most novel manner.

post-16151-0-17075000-1518740501_thumb.jpg

A general view of Darjeeling shortly after we arrived. If you look carefully, our train is plumb dead centre. Loco shed to the right.

post-16151-0-61210300-1518740756_thumb.jpg

A closer look inside the shed reveals several of the legendary 'B' class locos in residence.

post-16151-0-81187300-1518741010_thumb.jpg

The next day we rode the regular 'Joy Trains' from Darjeeling to Ghum, the highlight of which is the stop at the famous viewpoint at Batasia Loop, nowadays adorned with a Ghurka monument. This was the brightest, clearest we saw it at this spot so, alas, no views of the Himalayas.

post-16151-0-24847400-1518741123_thumb.jpg

Lack of stunning views notwithstanding, I hadn't come all this way not to have a 'record' shot!

post-16151-0-42500900-1518741372_thumb.jpg

Ghum is home to an excellent museum, featuring both indoor and outdoor exhibits

post-16151-0-60398800-1518741452_thumb.jpg

One of many fascinating pictures, which puts the DHR into context in more ways than one.

post-16151-0-20403800-1518741662_thumb.jpg

Back at Darjeeling, all life passes you by. This appears to be a furniture delivery man. Captions invited.

(more to come yet...)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately, it too fell of the rails. However, on this occasion, partly due to it coming to rest right alongside a pile of old rails, we had it back on in about 90mins and we were on our way again, with loco sounding distinctly off beat!

90 minutes? All the gangs I ever worked with would have fixed that in about 10.

• Like 1

90 minutes? All the gangs I ever worked with would have fixed that in about 10.

Ah yes, but you've never worked with gang like THIS. Nor would you ever want to; they made the Keystone Cops look organised. Somebody found a screw jack. A passing lorry driver offered them the loan of a hydraulic pump jack. A couple of them wandered off to find some older sleepers for packing. Great entertainment but beyond belief that they didn't have any proper kit with them, given the propensity for derailment. Old pictures show all locos carry a stout re-railing beam along the side of the saddle tank - you can see the bracket for this purpose on the left hand side of the loco - but they seem to have abandoned doing that.

post-16151-0-83071500-1518773513_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes, but you've never worked with gang like THIS. Nor would you ever want to; they made the Keystone Cops look organised. Somebody found a screw jack. A passing lorry driver offered them the loan of a hydraulic pump jack. A couple of them wandered off to find some older sleepers for packing. Great entertainment but beyond belief that they didn't have any proper kit with them, given the propensity for derailment. Old pictures show all locos carry a stout re-railing beam along the side of the saddle tank - you can see the bracket for this purpose on the left hand side of the loco - but they seem to have abandoned doing that.

Many hands make light work?