Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

In the picture of the K3, the weight arms for the other two dolls seem to have a supplementary weight dangling from the 'other' end, whereas that on the left hand doll doesn't have one - I wonder whether they were part of the slotting mechanism in which case it could well be that the distant on the left doll is 'fixed'?

• RMweb Premium

... as indeed the train of cattle wagons is doing in the featured picture. Yes, I suspect that would be the more usual indication for this route. I did wonder if it was in fact a fixed distant? Can't tell from the photo and not sure whether the GNR used such things.

You could well be right Graham. Enlarging the photo on my screen, I can only make out a single balance weight on that doll, whereas the other two clearly show the slotting arrangements.

Edit: Steve (31A) and I obviously had the same thought at the same time.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

I think we're probably all glad that things worked well enough for the crowd to enjoy it - even the bit when I got a D2 half way into the turntable bit while multi-tasking!

See below for admission of typing error and suggested correction.....

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You kept that very quiet - we'd all have been round the front for a look if we'd known. Can you tell us next time you plan to do it?

Maybe that occurrence may become a sort of tradition like a hole (or in this case a pit) in one where the operator concerned has to buy a round of drinks in the bar.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Maybe that occurrence may become a sort of tradition like a hole (or in this case a pit) in one where the operator concerned has to buy a round of drinks in the bar.

Jamie

Glad I didn't have to to that in 1977 when I was a poor student (Barry O knows what I'm talking about).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad I didn't have to to that in 1977 when I was a poor student (Barry O knows what I'm talking about).

On my Long Preston layout the narrow gauge on the front of the layout had a long gradient with a sharp left hand bend at the bottom. Occasionally the home made couplings (made by the self appointed best engineer in the world) used to let go at the top and three bogie wagons would set off down the bank. There was always a cheer and a round of applause if they ended up in the river at the bottom.  Of course nobody would ever admit responsibility.

Jamie

• Like 1

Well done guys, great show at Newark! Crowds loved it.

Dava

Yes , well done indeed to all the team. Everything was running good when I arrived saturday morning. Every body must be well drilled to achieve that on the first morning.Who cracks the whip ?.. More work been done also since I last saw it ; inc.the buildings on the "western platform", the tall new signal on the down main near the south box stood out , and the wooden hut "classroom" (thats what it was known as) in the loco.

Although a little compressed, the overall effect captures the atmosphere of the place brilliantly. Certainly brings back cherished memories of my time there in the last few  glorious years of steam.

Roy.

• Like 2

You kept that very quiet - we'd all have been round the front for a look if we'd known. Can you tell us next time you plan to do it?

You missed a treat. Not only was the loco half-way into the PPPPPPit (note the p this time), but one front buffer was hooked over the handrails on the turntable deck, which was rotating, dragging the loco ever closer to its doom! Had I known your interest in advance I'd have made sure to have a camera at the ready to capture any such event for posterity.

I'm now not quite sure of how I managed to create such a combination of troubles.

post-145-0-31175600-1520009753_thumb.jpg

I believe what's actually happening here is that as we're into the last hour, I was starting to box up the surplus locos and Craig (who stood in admirably at South Fiddle) is looking for a specific Pacific, the box for which will be open by my feet.

If we'd seen you lurking about with the camera earlier, we'd have done something to distract you so you didn't see what we'd rostered for the New England - Grantham stopping goods working.

Nice trophy. I hadn't seen it. Did we get to bring it home?

• Like 5

Apologies for the slight delay in the usual show report - had to rush off elsewhere the moment the van was unloaded.

attachicon.gifDSC01483.JPG

Anyway, as has already been alluded to, we had a successful outing to Lincoln-upon-Newark (also being referred to as the Linwark show). I managed to remember to take some pictures in the last hour before packing up on the Sunday, so the crowds had started to disperse by the time these pictures were taken. Despite the cold conditions, we were kept nice and warm by the convector heater above our heads.

attachicon.gifDSC01491.JPG

Some additional details added immediately before the show included this garage forecourt group, carefully assembled by Tom (LMS29). Further round, a steam ploughing engine has - for now - been plonked in the yard beneath the viaduct. The 1903 map identifies this yard as a 'steam plough works' so that is the current thinking behind the further scenic development of this area.

attachicon.gifDSC01480.JPG

We don't always go behind the scenes so here we are. Jonathan is obviously so ahead of the game that he is standing on the opposite from his designated operating position, clearly able to control movement on the layout by thought impulses alone. Craig meanwhile is deciding which of the ample stock of pacifics he should choose for his next working.

attachicon.gifDSC01484.JPG

At the south end, Tom oversees the arrival of the loaded iron ore train into the down goods yard, overseen by the new signal. Shedmaster LNER4479 senior seems to have a conundrum on his hands.

attachicon.gifDSC01492.JPG

Nicest of all, as I was around the layout with my camera, it was announced that we'd been voted 'best in show' by the public and here is the club's trophy in recognition. Two A4s were requested to pose for this picture; one of them turned out to be Graeme's neverwazza stretched version.

And now for Ally-Pally, somewhat less than four weeks away...

any pics of the never wazza close up? Im intrigued

• RMweb Premium

This may also be of interest:

Grantham_cranmer_zpscd2a427f.jpg

WTF is that green thing? Is it another Hush Hush experiment or is it Nigel's apprentice's idea?

Also, what are those bogie vans? What a ghastly livery.

R.E.L. Maunsell 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Best I have. Mr. King's work, so I expect you'll have some more when he happens by.

Grantham_shed_2_zpsd531b50c.jpg

That is very tasty. I wonder if Mr. King would consider doing a  stretched Spam? (For a huge fee of course.... :whistle:  

• Like 1

Best I have. Mr. King's work, so I expect you'll have some more when he happens by.Grantham_shed_2_zpsd531b50c.jpg

That is very tasty. I wonder if Mr. King would consider doing a  stretched Spam? (For a huge fee of course.... :whistle:

ooh i do like that. A few years ago there was a 5" gauge live steam stretched A3 4.8.2 apparently based on a proposal. The super A4 looks even nicer.

I can't comment on the haulage - we use it interchangeably with the A4s on Grantham and occasionally send it on shed to wind the shedmaster up.

The stretched spam is called either 'Thomas Cranmer' or 'Archbishop Cranmer'. Sadly since that very early Grantham running session we haven't seen it again.

Can I ask please, do the extra 2 driving wheels give extra haulage ability

This question often crops up in various guises. To summarise it is a function of weight and the coefficient of friction. A 6 coupled loco and an 8 coupled loco will have the same haulage if the weight baring down on them is the same and the wheels are made of the same material. I would imagine that the stretched body will in reality allow for extra ballast and for this reason only it will have greater haulage capacity than the standard A4.

Regards,

Frank