Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

And no Bank Holidays or lieu days either.

.........and no 'sick pay' or return to activity support, however there might be some sort of 'Support' for ill health issues if one had been a member of and still remains a member of a Trades Union.

Andy Package

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

My favourite story re 'absence' is the depot fitter who gave the following explanation as to why he was missing from work the previous day.

'Well, boss - my wife is having a baby and I wanted to be there at the conception'!

He probably dodged a Form 1 for coming up with an excuse like that...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My favourite story re 'absence' is the depot fitter who gave the following explanation as to why he was missing from work the previous day.

'Well, boss - my wife is having a baby and I wanted to be there at the conception'!

He probably dodged a Form 1 for coming up with an excuse like that...

We had a Guard who applied for a day off for his grandmother's funeral.  It was declined in view of the fact that he'd already attended the 'funerals' of four of his other 'grandmothers'.  One of our Railmen Cleaners applied to save his leave over a couple of years to visit family in Africa and off he went; as the had not returned by the due date we wrote and told him that he'd be considered self-dismissed in accordance with the warning he had been given before leaving for Africa.  

About a week or so later the Chief Clerk walked into my office holding a piece of paper and said 'We've got a Doctor's Certificate from XXX'.  So I asked what the certificate was for and the Chief Clerk replied 'Yellow fever, what shall I do with it?'  Simple answer which I quickly gave him 'Burn it and disinfect your hands'.   The miscreant returned about 10 days after that so I sent him to the Medical Officer to ascertain if it was safe to let him resume duty in view of his recent infection - that went down like a lead ballon but having had a certificate I couldn't sack him (that time).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We had a Guard who applied for a day off for his grandmother's funeral.  It was declined in view of the fact that he'd already attended the 'funerals' of four of his other 'grandmothers'.  One of our Railmen Cleaners applied to save his leave over a couple of years to visit family in Africa and off he went; as the had not returned by the due date we wrote and told him that he'd be considered self-dismissed in accordance with the warning he had been given before leaving for Africa.  

About a week or so later the Chief Clerk walked into my office holding a piece of paper and said 'We've got a Doctor's Certificate from XXX'.  So I asked what the certificate was for and the Chief Clerk replied 'Yellow fever, what shall I do with it?'  Simple answer which I quickly gave him 'Burn it and disinfect your hands'.   The miscreant returned about 10 days after that so I sent him to the Medical Officer to ascertain if it was safe to let him resume duty in view of his recent infection - that went down like a lead ballon but having had a certificate I couldn't sack him (that time).

I had a chap who'd been off sick for a day or two. When he returned he filled in the reason for absence something like this:

direar

dyereer

flu

• Like 3

I can see I shall have to keep pestering. Come on, we want to see this set finished and running at Lincoln - Newark show!

You know you want to.

Well ...

Spot the difference. Six days separates these photos. I can turn the wick up when I need to, yer know :danced:

post-16151-0-42915800-1516446967_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-57914700-1516447020_thumb.jpg

For info, the 2nd all third and the fifth & last vehicle (second one in) is from a set of Bill Bedford D.285 etches. I have however used some spare ends from Frank's etches as the Bill Bedford ones are fatter than the other vehicles so doing it this was creates a more uniform look to the set.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 12

For info, the 2nd all third and the fifth & last vehicle (second one in) .................the Bill Bedford ones are fatter .

So that's a single coach body, the second vehicle from the camera?

In what respect fatter please? Body width? Or fatter details on the etches such as beading?

So that's a single coach body, the second vehicle from the camera?

In what respect fatter please? Body width? Or fatter details on the etches such as beading?

Body width. The etches match up very well otherwise. Edited by LNER4479

A bit more preparation for "show time":

The built-up DJH Atlantic that I acquired some time ago because it looked as if was built neatly enough, and which I subsequently fitted with geared drive to the trailing axle, has, due to lack of time for anything better, been doing duty for the last year (or possibly two) in a rather plain approximation to LNER livery, thus:

post-3445-0-38146000-1516453751_thumb.jpg

This month, as and when possible, I've been tinkering with the livery. In order to match what was already in use on the boiler bands and forming the side panels on the tender, and to make good use of what I had in stock, I've done most of the additional white/black lining and edging using HMRS sheets. Twiddly little bits, awkward corners and wheels I've addressed using bow pen and OOO sable brush. The red lining is all bow pen work. The lovely flowing quality of my Humbrol gloss red and the stubbornness of the same maker's white I have discussed elsewhere already! It was an education trying to finely line a loco that somebody else had built (I suspect with the intention of only putting it into plain black late forties livery) as no matter how neat the build appeared at first glance, I found all sorts of little blobs, nicks, fillet radii and so on where edges and joints should have been perfectly smooth, sharp and square, plus annoying slight kinks and asymmetry (including cab and firebox not quite on the same version of the centre line, making it difficult to make the cab-front lining look right). The finished job isn't as neat as the result I achieved on the Atlantic I built for myself a few years back, but that one is in a "debatable" version of Doncaster green so as with all comparisons there are pros and cons. The white part of the HMRS lining on the recently finished loco is finer (and closer to scale) for instance than the Modelmasters version on the earlier one. Because of the builder's choice of bogie wheels, coupled wheels, and the way he fitted the balance weights, I couldn't put the wheel rim lining far enough in on the new loco so there's not enough black showing on the wheel rims. I don't have the time or the will to buy new wheels and change them at present, so that's how it is. I think the latest one will look more than good enough as a "layout" loco especially when it is toned down by some weathering.post-3445-0-44846700-1516453981_thumb.jpgpost-3445-0-94977900-1516453997_thumb.jpgpost-3445-0-98191000-1516454022_thumb.jpgpost-3445-0-20699000-1516454042_thumb.jpg

Here's a good illustration of the colour difference, as well as the difference that results when the builder takes the trouble to make the loco "sit down" correctly on its frames and to keep all the edges of the parts crisp and free of solder / glue (my loco on the left) rather than simply putting together whatever comes straight out of the box with not quite so much care.....post-3445-0-40788700-1516454062.jpg

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 15

Well ...

Spot the difference. Six days separates these photos. I can turn the wick up when I need to, yer know :danced:

attachicon.gifIMG_9786.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9790.JPG

For info, the 2nd all third and the fifth & last vehicle (second one in) is from a set of Bill Bedford D.285 etches. I have however used some spare ends from Frank's etches as the Bill Bedford ones are fatter than the other vehicles so doing it this was creates a more uniform look to the set.

The Quint is coming along nicely Graham, makes me want to start on my Louth Quad but I've got lots of other projects to work on first.

Andrew Emmett

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with less than a month to go until Grantham is at Lincoln-on-Newark, the time-honoured dress rehearsal has just been and gone.

attachicon.gifDSC00057.JPG

With the alterations to the south end of the Nottingham fiddle yard complete, the layout awaits filling with trains.

attachicon.gifDSC00059.JPG

Here are some of the usual suspects, getting stuck in on Saturday morning. Jonathan and Graeme discuss stock details whilst Paul leads the scenic team at the south end, with Craig and Tom ably assisting.

attachicon.gifDSC00060.JPG

Fruits of labours - 1. The south end road bridge looking a little less bare (although there's still more that can be done). No bus to hand so a horsebox deputises as the obligatory vehicle on the bridge.

attachicon.gifDSC00070.JPG

Fruits of labours - 2. It's a rare running day when Paul doesn't turn up bearing gifts and this sizeable hut complements the lifting hoist cameo alongside the shed perfectly. The britainfromabove aerial photos revealed a quite a structure hereabouts (assumed to house the necessary tackle for lifting and axlebox repairs) and, together with a couple of glimpses in the background of some Keith Pirt photos, this was the sum total of what Paul had to work with. We all thought he's done a splendid job and we hope you agree.

attachicon.gifDSC00062.JPG

Grand Parade head south from Grantham with the Leeds Quint set - Jonathan apologises in advance for current lack of front 'bling', which will be attended to shortly, I am given to understand.

attachicon.gifDSC00066.JPG

He's excelled hiself here though as the depot camera man captures a delightful array of his wagons in the down yard - check out the ferry wagon and plate glass wagon next to each other.

attachicon.gifDSC00071.JPG

A wider view of the same train again as a northbound NE Atlantic-hauled Newcastle express hoves into view.

attachicon.gifDSC00064.JPG

An interesting line up of motive power down at the 'new' shed.

attachicon.gifDSC00073.JPG

At the north end, we've got to my favourite Move 20 within the sequence, with the station under siege at 6pm. Centre stage is Gateshead's suitable mucky 2571 'Sunstar', which has just replaced the exotic motive power of P2 2003 on the 4pm Leeds / Newcastle express, the one that famously simultaneously left King's Cross at the same time as the Coronation. Local trains to Newark and Lincoln wait to follow. A southbound ECS completes the excitement - more of this in a moment.

attachicon.gifDSC00080.JPG

'Sunstar' sets out for the north, in our nearest recreation of the classic north box scene. This is an ex-Tom Foster A1, expertly weathered by its former owner. Elderly station pilot J54 3637A has also now received due attention of equally effective weathering, this time from Barry O.

attachicon.gifDSC00078.JPG

Finally, a closer look at that gorgeous van train. Graeme's six-wheel drive Atlantic has now had its lining completed and is an equally gorgeous sight.

These and many others will be in action at Newark and Ally-Pally; we hope to see you there.

PS - I don't normally do 'advance' announcements but, with a fair wind, we may have a professionally-produced, official Grantham DVD available for purchase by the time of the Ally-Pally show. More details to follow in due course.

I'm on me way, go back into the chapel  railway room. See you in about 30 hours!  :sarcastic:

Looking good gents, South end is really coming along. 

Be good to see you all at Tony's in a few months. 

• Like 3

Graham

Many thanks for posting these photos. They're wonderful - I will certainly have to arrange my next UK trip, whenever that might be, around an exhibition you'll be showing Grantham at. Love the O4 temporarily seen as an 0-6-0 - appears to be of Ks origin. I've still got an old Ks kit unmade that I could do this to - I have a track awaiting a hoist/shearlegs at my loco depot. The van train is gorgeous, mine needs more old vans in it as currently I run a separate horsebox train to the station on my layout that is adjacent to a racecourse. My van train is mostly bogie vehicles but having received a parcel from Dan Pinnock yesterday that includes a GN CCT plus more horseboxes there is hope yet!.

Andrew Emmett

Edited by Woodcock29
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looks a trifle chilly in the railway "room".

I do like the ex North Eastern Atlantic on the train. Brings a proper engine to Grantham..

Ok, hat, coat, start the tuk tuk...

Baz

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDSC00070.JPG

Fruits of labours - 2. It's a rare running day when Paul doesn't turn up bearing gifts and this sizeable hut complements the lifting hoist cameo alongside the shed perfectly. The britainfromabove aerial photos revealed a quite a structure hereabouts (assumed to house the necessary tackle for lifting and axlebox repairs) and, together with a couple of glimpses in the background of some Keith Pirt photos, this was the sum total of what Paul had to work with. We all thought he's done a splendid job and we hope you agree.

It's lovely to see the well-modelled wooden building next to the top/new shed.  It had a more vital function than as a shed for lifting tackle, however, because it was Grantham Loco's 'Class Room', a facility used for the training of cleaners and loco crew etc. by Loco Inspectors, and also for the more informal Mutual Improvement Classes (MICs). The lean-to annex at the back was a bike shed.  This is gleaned from a large scale plan originating from a survey carried out in GNR days (although with many later additions), the relevant area of which can be seen about a third of the way down this page on Tracks through Grantham

For the fastidious among us, the building which was there in the 1950s/early 60s, and therefore appears in Keith Pirt's photos, was a replacement class room in a slightly different location nearer the 'shears' (...or maybe it was the original one simply moved along a bit), because the eastern apex of the turning triangle had to be built right where the class room originally stood (i.e. where it appears on the plan and in the Britain from Above pix).  Roy@34F recalls using the [relocated] class room on one of his pages so he'll be delighted to see it on the layout, I'm sure - a corner appears at extreme right of the first picture on the page linked to.

John

Edited by 61070