Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

I think it looks straighter in this view, Tom; though the Up canopy definitely leans.

Grantham 13 08.jpg

Grantham 13 09.jpg

I managed to arrange this lovely line-up without too much trouble.

Grantham 13 10.jpg

I think this view sums up what this 'modern classic' layout is all about (I can state that without pomposity, because I've done very little towards it).

Yikes - that is one heck of a lean! All canopies are removable for transportation; I am remiss therefore for not spotting that during set up.

Thanks for 'classic' accolade. Personally, I'm not sure we're quite there yet (although I would offer said accolade to the stock every time). I still see lots of unfinished stuff yet. The shed shot is lovely Tony - but the shed is still a mock-up and the apron is too bare.

Plenty to do prior to Ally Pally!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for that - quite made my day.

That I have such a wonderful team associated with the project is a constant source of amazement and gratitude, many of whom I have to thank the existence of RMWeb for as it was this website that put us in touch, either directly or indirectly. The sense of humour and 'craic' within the group is second to none and the contributions at times overwhelming. I feel very blessed.

Aha - yes, the North box operator reported a consistent 'funny sound' on the Saturday as trains passed through the Up main. After the passage of the particularly vertically challenged Raven Atlantic, it was diagnosed as a droopy canopy which was swiftly adjusted. It can be seen in its more usual attitude in the last pic on my posting, coincidentally featuring Mr King's same 'Cock'. He is very proud of them. And rightly so.

Red Leader,

Just seen all the posts from the weekend. Another very enjoyable show. I think that all the team members make different contributions and the end result is greater than the sum of the individual parts. This is well illustrated in Tony's photograph of a "modern classic layout".

Roll on the next show!

Lovely stuff.

Has that re-build ever been "written-up" anywhere, please?  I have a couple tucked away in the loft and I think the novelty of something like that might well offset some deficiencies in pure scale fidelity ... from which you may deduce I may not meet some peoples' definitions of 'serious modeller' - not all the time, anyway!

Try looking in again some time on the ten or so pages that follow the one in this link:

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=2985

The original work was covered there, but at present all of the images are missing on account of the enlightened business practices of Photobucket. I am trying, bit by bit, to restore the images, but time is the enemy at present.

Try looking in again some time on the ten or so pages that follow the one in this link:

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=2985

The original work was covered there, but at present all of the images are missing on account of the enlightened business practices of Photobucket. I am trying, bit by bit, to restore the images, but time is the enemy at present.

Gr. I have had a look at the links you provided. Is it possible for you to post a picture of the finished article on this thread, please? It would make following the picture less thread a bit easier. Thanks.

Well, as you ask, and as the stock is relevant to Grantham, and as I've been able to find the pictures just now without too much bother.....

The work in each case involved some cutting and shutting of the sides to get the desired layout, I inset the sides on the brake portion, added framing to the windows where necessary (tediously) using plastic strip, replaced roofs and ends in several cases with home produced resin parts, cut and shut the interior mouldings to get the right layout in there too, stripped parts off the underframes and replaced with either new electric or gas fiitings of the approximately correct type, and in a couple of cases substituted Fox bogies. Even the Gresley bogies may be Bachmann rather than Hornby - according to what I had at the time of doing a budget job. 

post-3445-0-06088800-1508923500.jpgpost-3445-0-82517500-1508923528.jpgpost-3445-0-00991900-1508923568.jpgpost-3445-0-66262900-1508923601.jpgpost-3445-0-44843500-1508923644.jpg

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I've got some of those old Gresleys that someone could have for postage if they fancy doing such a magnifico job as Mr King. I think there has been at least 3 sitting waiting for someone that asked me for some a year or so ago and either I forgot or they disappeared.

Phil

I've got some of those old Gresleys that someone could have for postage if they fancy doing such a magnifico job as Mr King. I think there has been at least 3 sitting waiting for someone that asked me for some a year or so ago and either I forgot or they disappeared.

Phil

I think that might have been me!

(It's just that there has been so much to do building/rebuilding my railway that apart from making the odd cattle wagon/fitted van etc  haven't dome much else!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Glad to say I will be leaving three plate wagons and a traction engine wagon for use at the R & H works with Red Leader today. They were missing at Hartlepool as some feedlot forget where they were...can't say who..well go on...it was the Ballastmeister....

Doh!

Baz

• Like 1

Glad to say I will be leaving three plate wagons and a traction engine wagon for use at the R & H works with Red Leader today. They were missing at Hartlepool as some feedlot forget where they were...can't say who..well go on...it was the Ballastmeister....

Doh!

Baz

That will give the lads in the south box something to shunt ..... Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that the "current" edition as in the REAL current month of November, or the publishing industry's imaginary current month of anything between December this year and February 2018 please?

I've looked through the November Modeller a time or several without spotting that, but it might just be that I'm extremely inobservant!

As one or two have noticed, I get an honourable mention in the current edition of the Modeller under 'Plan of the Month'. As it is an LNER layout, thought you might like to see a couple of pics. Depicts a section of the Woodhead route through the Pennines (before the wire scrapers took over!)

In the fullness of time you must tell me just how many layouts you've been involved in building of late. I don't know how you juggle so many balls. I'm struggling once more just to find time, energy and a clear enough mind to finish some relatively modest jobs on a couple of locos that should have been completed ages ago!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the fullness of time you must tell me just how many layouts you've been involved in building of late. I don't know how you juggle so many balls. I'm struggling once more just to find time, energy and a clear enough mind to finish some relatively modest jobs on a couple of locos that should have been completed ages ago!

I reckon they're all the same layout with different scenery photoshopped in...

• Like 2