Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

The strangest "front coupling" I ever saw on a road vehicle was in the Vancouver BC area, possibly Coal Harbour, a float-plane launching facility. The planes were shunted to and from the water (across a public road) by what appeared to be the converted remains of some sort of pick-up truck (or ute, in antipodean parlance) with a long front bar which (I think) coupled to the nose wheel gear of the amphibious planes - but... memory suggests that everything to the rear of the cab of the truck had been removed entirely, including chassis and therefore the rear wheels!  How could such a thing balance, or be handled, when not coupled to a plane? I presume it was "front" wheel drive.  I wish I had a picture to hand to prove the point.

My analysis : the long front connecting beam counter-balanced the remains of the truck, and had a dolly-wheel at the end that attached to the float-plane.

CJI.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

The internet, as ever, is your friend:

That's a far better view of the contraption than I got from a cafe some way along the road. I can now see just how long that front beam is, and the additional wheels. No nose wheel gear on the plane at all, it just gets lifted out of the water on that chassis as the truck reverses (?) away.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Meanwhile, back at the layout ...

PXL_20230814_113319784.jpg.c80613a6796d70ab1ca8c148d9972c7d.jpg

Track being taken up, wire, switches, hammer, pliers, saw ... just another normal day in the Grantham fiddle yard.

PXL_20230814_113338132.jpg.14533ed9e2cb2232d7bb662efa09224c.jpg

Danger! Man with hot soldering iron at work.

All in the name of incremental improvements, designed to reduce head-scratching time at exhibitions.

Stay tuned ...

Won't there be more head-scratching along the lines of "Oi, this didn't used to do that"?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Won't there be more head-scratching along the lines of "Oi, this didn't used to do that"?

A good point. What is logical and obvious to the installer, based on his impression of the way that section of the layout should/will operate, isn't always obvious, logical and convenient to any (other) operator or operators.

• Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yep! That's what the forthcoming practice session is for. No gain without pain.

In other cases, the improvements have rendered it impossible to set up some of the inadvertent cross-feeds that led to previous cries of 'I'm not driving this train (that's careering away out-of-control in front of me)'*. In the full view of an exhibition audience.

(*in other parlance 'turn your bl00dy links off!')

To be honest, the fiddle yard so-called wiring has grown like topsy to become a dog's breakfast with each reconfiguration of the yard. Yesterday, without being in the glare of an exhibition environment, we were able to take a long, hard look at it. It's deficiencies were all too painfully apparent. Some of the 'improvements' were more a case of tidying up, making things more logical, etc to (hopefully) eliminate further 'traps for the unwary'.

The proof of the pudding ...

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully not as I rent it out as undercover storage.   There is translucent sheeting round the two visible sides here which is weatherproof.   The Yorkshire boarding above does let rain in to 3-4 feet from the end wall if it's coming in at the right angle, but is sheltered from the prevailing wind.   When we were photographing a week gone Saturday with the roller door shut I was surprised at how little air movement there was despite the open boarding.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Hopefully not as I rent it out as undercover storage.   There is translucent sheeting round the two visible sides here which is weatherproof.   The Yorkshire boarding above does let rain in to 3-4 feet from the end wall if it's coming in at the right angle, but is sheltered from the prevailing wind.   When we were photographing a week gone Saturday with the roller door shut I was surprised at how little air movement there was despite the open boarding.

Ah I see.  I thought that was the exhibition hall you’d been exhibiting at, sorry.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Hope everyone's having a good festive season?

We haven't had a travelogue for quite some time, so how about some images from our just-returned-from Christmas escape?

PXL_20231222_095620350.jpg.9826eabc981b76fb6c8f33aa61458d2a.jpg

Having successfully dodged a wildcat strike affecting Eurotunnel, we stayed local to our base on our first day out there, for a day of:

PXL_20231222_141957566.jpg.6b54f2fa99a148d8539cd57762b74ac4.jpg

Planes ...

PXL_20231222_111915131.jpg.d654f88804a84d823ee7e6413aa6255e.jpg

Trains ...

PXL_20231222_152718448.jpg.3da1bbafdd3a325d6475bc35d9e36d69.jpg

... and ... er ... Ships!

Perhaps not too difficult to guess where we went? If still struggling, perhaps this one might give it away:

PXL_20231222_094530601.jpg.71ae11e9fdd1a7448c5911c4381443b5.jpg

Next - the sun comes out and the scenery delivers.

Definitely Luzern/Lucerne. Haven't been since 1982 - time for a return trip perhaps...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, cbeagleowner said:

Is that Luzern? Looks lovely!

17 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Not sure about the rest but the last one is for sure.

17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Definitely Luzern/Lucerne.

Yep. Thought it wasn't too difficult.

First pic main station, interesting in that it has metre gauge platforms (pictured) and standard platforms, all consecutively numbered.

Second pic is the excellent Swiss Transport Museum - with an excellent entrance price to match(!) But an absorbing day's entertainment for a transport enthusiast nonetheless; unfortunately, Mrs4479 was flagging a little by the time we reached the train hall so no pix there.

Rather pleasant way to return after our visit, catching the boat across the lake (4th pic). How very Swiss.

For completeness, third pic was taken at Schwyz.

More coming up ...

• Like 8

7 hours ago, richard i said:

I wondered why we had not had a marathon speed build this year. Trip answers that question. Unless it was taken with you to complete in your down time.

richard 

Well spotted!

I hope to be tackling something tomorrow, as a New Year's Day challenge instead. Will be on the Hills of the North thread, if so.

• Like 6