Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Did RL forget to mention loading the van, several hours of stressful work erecting the layout and at the end of the two days taking everything apart and loading the van!! Runing the layout is the easy bit ... Jesse should be paying for the two days of pleasure.

Tom

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

And you get paid for that?

Not this particular trip. 'Twas a reunion get-together for myself and a group of like-minded TMs; we paid for it ourselves, albeit with a reduced rate from the hotel and some stunning DB group ticket fares (Cologne to Wernigerode for 9.90eu each)

Will get paid when I take a group of Rail Discoveries pax there at the end of May. Don't get too carried away though - it's effectively minimum wage. I can earn more in a day doing 'proper' (aka boring) railway work than I would in a week being a Tour Manager. You really have to be at a time of life when you do it for the love of it.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Evening meal at the Altora restaurant, where the drinks are delivered by LGB train.

Is that a different p,ace to the one where they use Traincontroller for the automation.  (I think you showed it a few (hundred?) pages earlier.)

Paul.

It's completely manual these days. The bar man simply drives the train direct with the controller. Perfectly OK for anyone who hasn't seen such a thing before.

You might be thinking of the one in Wenceslas Square, Prague - different level of complexity altogether. I haven't actually been to that one. On the 'to do' list ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

You might be thinking of the one in Wenceslas Square, Prague - different level of complexity altogether. I haven't actually been to that one. On the 'to do' list ...

Having done a Google search (other engines are available), yes I think I am.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the photos, I visited Wernigerode in 1991 and 1992 and very much enjoyed it - though I stayed in Braunlage.  Even then, when a lot of refurbishment was in progress the square was lovely - as was the Bahnhof.

Drei Annen Hohne still looks as it did then, when I was there the platforms had just been refurbished.  In 1991 I was there too early in the year to go up the Brocken by train, it didn't reopen until after the summer, but I did so in 1992, also spending some time at Schierke watching the railway working.  In the first full year (1992) the timetable didn't always work too well as the timings were a bit optimistic and the sheer number of people made the station stops longer.

I also saw most of the rest of the Harzquerbahn while I was there.  I did find some of the countryside around Nordhausen a little eerie, I subsequently found out a bit about the wartime history of the area and one of the places I had been to near the town and what the area had been used for.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

It's completely manual these days. The bar man simply drives the train direct with the controller. Perfectly OK for anyone who hasn't seen such a thing before.

There are (were?) a couple of similar restaurants in Changchun, China. The trains ran continuously with photo-electric sensors fore and aft to prevent collisions. You just lifted a plate of food off a flat car as it passed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Hi everyone.

Just a quick final call for Grantham at Model Rail 2023 at Harrogate this coming weekend (Friday / Saturday in fact). We even have a special guest operator from upsidedown land amongst the team.

https://www.theeventsoffice.com/

Look forward to seeing you if you're planning to make the trip. Mind the snow.

There may be trouble ahead...

I. Berlin

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

So, here we are, getting set up at Model Rail 2023 ...

PXL_20230309_151914166.jpg.5475ba185dc2e1baea3058255cb2aaed.jpg

Plenty of space - once we'd been allocated a plot where the layout would actually fit 

PXL_20230309_174132949.jpg.b3a918b69c33e1ddfb6a4d2f4a9838ef.jpg

Not often you have a traction engine guard of honour.

PXL_20230309_151931133.jpg.4ca11dd04f12e8d7c0d4476a12e0d818.jpg

Our antipodean friend purportedly helping ...

PXL_20230309_174620594.jpg.2d4efba9bc14e6c3b09f774caf05e0b9.jpg

Layout scrubs up quite well these days, now it's 'finished' (ha!)

PXL_20230309_174541721.jpg.a04498f1d8dcf78bb0e7d8ddfe12ea12.jpg

Nothing like a bus on a bridge to attract interest - especially a moving one (a bit hidden behind signal - apologies).

Do stop by and say 'hi' if you're visiting. Some interesting exhibits, especially with the model engineering brigade making the numbers up.

Looks good Graham,

Please let me know how Jesse's D2 gets on. 

And, can you ask him when he wants picking up from Grantham Station, please?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

And, can you ask him when he wants picking up from Grantham Station, please?

About twenty-to-eight, I should think (1938 - see what I did there?).

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 3