• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

You certainly won't starve on a trip to the Fatherland 🤪

If you're still hungry, try Hungary.

Edited by St Enodoc
changed word
  • Funny 5

15 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

If you're heading in this direction for the two branches you might find some traces of DR

There were a couple of restored wagons at Wernigerode Westerntor, both standard gauge on transporter wagons:

DR_02-75-96.jpg.f10cbcd35eda6972b63a987ce0c1814d.jpg

DR_52-53-19.jpg.bdc5960a4e8058653944aa6920b9f3f0.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Very evident here is the additional shrubbery the driver has adorned his loco with. May 1st, perhaps? Or the morning after Walpurgisnacht?(!) 

A puny effort compared with his colleagues the day before!

IMG_5979.jpeg.bb15b09748c2300e9e2546031fdb28b1.jpeg

IMG_5980.jpeg.461d8e1b918d210dc9dfc14cbb15d310.jpeg

Don't try this at home, folks!

IMG_5983.jpeg.a6247f7bc99070f1cc85fe8d59748e37.jpeg

• Like 18

That would be all WENT well, Tom. We've been back in Blighty the best part of a week - I don't like to advertise the fact on a public forum that I'm away on holiday. And, as you'll see in a couple of day's time, it didn't ALL go according to plan (!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Pangalacticgargle blaster.. who says the Germans have no sense of humour??

Baz

Anyone who could invent currywurst must have had a sense of humour.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Sadly that's not the case currywurst came about because all they could get on the black market was ketchup and curry powder...and of course bratwurst.....Mmmm bratwurst........it works just as well with Jager sauce too....Mmmm.......Jagerwurst.....

Regards Lez. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

31 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Sadly that's not the case currywurst came about because all they could get on the black market was ketchup and curry powder...and of course bratwurst.....Mmmm bratwurst........it works just as well with Jager sauce too....Mmmm.......Jagerwurst.....

Regards Lez. 

QED...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know whether your route to and from the Harz takes you through Braunschweig but if it does, and you have time to stop, a) it's a beautiful old city anyway and b) it has a restaurant called Die Tolle Knolle (The Super Tuber) that serves potatoes in every way, shape or form that you can imagine, plus quite a few that you can't.

https://tolleknolle-bs.de/

E. Ronay

Edited by St Enodoc
speling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

So, where to go on our last full day in Northern Germany?

It occurred to me that there was another public steam railway just about within comfortable reach of a day's trip of Hamburg, provided the trains played nice. In the end, seven of us headed out to ...

DSC04062.jpg.63eaf1ae9b6e287fb16eef0045aa617b.jpg

Bad Doberan, for the Mecklenburgische Bäderbahn - or the 'Molli', as everyone knows it by - I last visited here in 2017 but, apart from Steve, it was a new experience for everyone else.

Running on the unusual gauge of 900mm, it is otherwise a conventional out-and-back operation, using these functional looking 2-8-2Ts. Direct interchange with the mainline railway (far left), we had a breathless 11 minutes to buy our tickets and board the 'Molli' - not a problem.

DSC04003.jpg.1865678469560194bda08d39a2295061.jpg

Did I say 'conventional'? It is of course best known for its prolonged length of street running, taking it right across the town before picking up its own formation in the countryside beyond. The centre stretch is pedestrianised, apart from delivery vehicles, and the train proceeds slowly, with its steam-powered bell clanging continuously. That doesn't stop some motorists chancing their arm trying to cross over right in front - I guess the locals are used to it?

DSC04055.jpg.9e1fb262496b86b074589a0679cf4e9d.jpg

This is the view looking the other way (on our return) - this bit is open to road traffic.

DSC04056.jpg.52c26f035ef3c6bcd233babb92304d2c.jpg

Rather satisfying to have a stream of cars following you!

DSC04037.jpg.69f7c0a7b414435eae80b9384d3862ae.jpg

Once out of the town, it's all fairly flat and level. Pleasant but not particularly spectacular. The track is well laid though with heavy duty rail and the locos put in a healthy turn of speed for much of the way.

DSC04044.jpg.5c8c14eaa691bd96548722609cec8102.jpg

It's a two train service, so here we are passing t'other one at the half way point. Students of contemporary German steam will recognise this as being the new loco that Meiningen built for the line in 2008/9, to the same design. I missed seeing this loco last time round so it was good to see it in operation.

DSC04025.jpg.e4bca3adeb1d37bfbd49fc15a0a9ade5.jpg

Far end of the line is the coastal resort of Kühlungsborn. We watched our train run round and depart back for Bad Doberan. On the right is one of the 0-8-0Ts, stuffed and mounted for now. Sister loco 331 is (apparently) operational but not normally used on service trains. Despite appearances, the 0-8-0Ts are actually younger than the 2-8-2Ts (apart from No.2324!).

PXL_20230504_105353487.jpg.5ee2b87109d6dc96e8b879ed813db724.jpg

Did I say 'coastal'? Germany has a seaside - who knew?(!) Here, Steve is pointing out its delights to Paul. No donkey droppings, no upturned ice-cream cones in the sand, no dilapidated fairground rides ... my kinda 'seaside'!

PXL_20230504_141507100.jpg.f35e9795a0374b3cfdd34bb92c930734.jpg

We had the best part of half an hour to change trains at Rostock on the way back, so time for a mid-afternoon cuppa.

Trains behaved perfectly all day, despite some potentially tight-looking changes. I was left with this nagging feeling that we'd rather used up our fair share of good luck in that regard ...

Meanwhile, a rival splinter group headed out to another part of coast, at Kiel to visit this:

IMG_20230504_134428_0.jpg.b8576143fddb945c497467629b82d5ef.jpg

I'll invite Jonathan to tell us more ...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17

It was one of the more exciting days I've spent on a train, it has to be said.  News reports on the gang fight here and here if anyone's interested.   Allegedly one of them turned up with a Samurai sword.   There were about 40 of them and they didn't stop even after we'd taken two of them out, so the police had to sort that out before they came to deal with us.

It's a shame Graham's picture can't show the incredible contortions that our bendy bus had to do to turn round.  The turning area was too small and full of emergency vehicles anyway so he jackknifed it in reverse into the car park which is just behind it above.  He was given a round of applause when he finished.   It was also massively overloaded - we went through at least one red light simply through not being able to stop - but he got us to Brussels Nord at close to the speed of light, at which point Steve's encyclopaedic knowledge of Belgian trains took us in the right direction for Midi and then to the check in.    They must have been expecting us as we were whisked through in no time and (mainly) ended up in Business Class for a very comfortable ride home.   The remainder of the group catching us up was a welcome (if by then unexpected) bonus.

I'm sure I speak for the rest of the group if I say Graham did an excellent job organising almost all of this trip and we all benefited tremendously from his knowledge of the places we went and his willingness to help us all make the most of the visit rather than just enjoying his own holiday.   This is our second visit to Germany with him as guide - one official, one unofficial - and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

A morbidly interesting variation on the kind of return-journey chaos that I had feared when Mrs King and I decided that KLM's flight cancellation left us with no safe, stress-free alternative but to cancel our travel plans entirely.

• Friendly/supportive 5

We had similar shenanigans from DB last year, without the extra layer of tragedy, so I'd booked overnight accommodation rather than a train home with that in mind.   Funnily enough there was nothing going in London on the Friday night (!) so we made the quick trip to Stevenage and the handily placed Holiday Inn Express.  

Edited by jwealleans
Tea in Stevenage.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have to add my thanks to Graham for his organising this trip, it was most enjoyable and we were all very relieved to scrape onto the last Eurostar of the day. After all we did not want to miss the Coronation! Couple of photos of the train evacuation site (a first for me too) and the view from the bendy bus.

Bazza

20230505_193842.jpg

20230505_193237.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2