Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

SJR- I agree with your comments also. John Flann (below) and I have had a couple of posts on this topic and John is very experienced in this aspect. That's one reason why I asked Nick Wood (this topic) how he managed to get such smooth, hands-free operation. It just looks so professional and enjoyable.

It is my quest to get somewhere near that level in the future. Several layouts on this forum have really nailed this, and provide learnings for those of us wanting to learn how to operate our layouts well.

Andy R

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Much Murkle has been boxed up and in storage since late February after the Abingdon Show but is now back up in the garage. Did a quick test run yesterday, it ran perfectly and without any need for track cleaning.

One thing I did notice though was that there had been an invasion of pests :umbrage:
>
>
>
>
>
These two have made their home on the station building roof and will no doubt make a huge mess if left there.
203894406_Pigeons001.jpg.6c0b26385c495500e24cb054d24cf15d.jpg

but I have an ally ......
540890247_Cat001small.jpg.d71ae49c1b52693fd67b4e8f16f574f0.jpg

Della, the station tabby thinks they would make a nice supper if only she could find a way up there ...

Meanwhile I always thought that these two cows were looking at something.

902448152_3edited-1small.jpg.2acf3dc0ca02403a4d024fb6fa1ea35a.jpg

and know I know what it is, the field has been invaded with members of the Crow family.
1906824019_Rooks002small.jpg.21aa8be6e38bf9c009720505d24e62d6.jpg

and not only these two but the rest of the family are foraging at the other end of the field

409582630_Rooks003small.jpg.650bb3eb16660867de771d07201410f0.jpg

Whilst crows are on the ground they always post a lookout, usually the meanest looking one
508986167_Rooks004small.jpg.1cb17cf769cc7c0c92b6ce4b855c97c5.jpg

He will watch over the family whilst they feed and warn them of any danger.

It is a little known fact that these days, members of the crow family get hit on the roads by one type of vehicle more often than others. This is because ... the lookout can shout CARRRR!!! but not LORRY  :thankyou:

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 19

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow! it's been three months since I posted anything. How time flies by.

The next couple of weeks will be busy getting Much Murkle erected and prepared for two exhibitions coming up. The first is at Folkestone on the 3rd & 4th October and the second on the 24th & 25th October.

Two new trains will be introduced into the sequence for these exhibitions, the first with a detailed Mainline Dean Goods with a High Level chassis hauling a load of cattle wagons and the second a Bachmann 64xx providing the power for a Clifton Downs autotrailer set.

I'll post some photos shortly when I've finshed doing some maintenance and have time for some pre-exhibition play practice.

• Like 6

Nick;

I just love your little layout...!

The Deans Goods is an exquisite loco to have at your disposal. They just look the part of a branch line I reckon. My kit-built one is not behaving at all so cannot run on Hawkinsfield as yet. I will have to admire yours instead.

Good luck with your next exhibitions and look forward to reading on here how they went. Any chance of another video Nick? I so enjoyed watching the previous ones as I obviously cannot see the layout 'in the flesh' so to speak.

regards, Andy R

• RMweb Gold

Nick;

I just love your little layout...!

The Deans Goods is an exquisite loco to have at your disposal. They just look the part of a branch line I reckon. My kit-built one is not behaving at all so cannot run on Hawkinsfield as yet. I will have to admire yours instead.

Good luck with your next exhibitions and look forward to reading on here how they went. Any chance of another video Nick? I so enjoyed watching the previous ones as I obviously cannot see the layout 'in the flesh' so to speak.

regards, Andy R

Thanks Andy (and to everyone else who has 'liked' the photos) The running of the Dean Goods has exceeded expectations as this was my first chassis build. Low speed control is good considering that it has had very little running time so far. It runs smoothly but seems a little tight. I do need to get it on the rolling road and give it a prolonged run as iI'm sure it will be better for it.

I have every intention of doing some more videos but have a slight problem in doing them. The controls for the layout are at the back and the video needs to be done from the front and my arms aren't long enough :scratchhead: The last ones were done at an exhibition when I have someone spare to take the controls. Watch this space after the next exhibition.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure you will find a way around it Nick and produce another stunning video of the stunning layout.

regards, Andy R

Next exhibition is only two weeks away so you won't have to wait too long Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice sequence of moves Nick, just what a BLT should be all about, operation.

It should indeed Andy. MM is a very simple layout but great fun to operate although I don't get to operate it much, usually only prior to and at exhibitions. To keep things interesting I do like to have a variety of trains, much more than would be seen on a branch like this normally. Whatever runs though has to be operated realistically, at least as far as my knowledge of prototype practice stretches and I'm always happy to learn how to do things properly, especially if the knowledge is coming from older railwaymen.

Four new train formations will be operating on MM at the upcoming exhibitions,

the Cattle Train that you have already seen,

the Clifton Downs Autotrain that I will post up some pictures of shortly and to come,

an early morning Milk and Parcels Train and a

Horse Boxes and Owners Carriage special.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The next train arriving is a special and another duty for the Dean Goods.

A local dignitary Sir Gerald Fortescue-Banks, owner of Soller's Hall and a keen horse breeder has had two Irish stallions shipped over from the Irish National Stud in Tully, Co Kildare to breed with his mares. The horses have to be accompanied from Ireland by their grooms and are met at the ferry in Holyhead by Sir Gerald's staff and his trusted vet. On their journey from Holyhead to Much Murkle they are afforded the comfort of an attached coach. The train consists of two horse boxes, one for each stallion and their grooms, an elderly four wheel Brake Third for the rest of the entourage and a Cordon gas tank. 

The train arriving at Much Murkle

1079255992_MMSep15HorseSpecial001small.jpg.68860122f8cccd71e7e7ba6bf9462c5e.jpg

862918634_MMSep15HorseSpecial002small.jpg.861411125a82a540434cb257eb554138.jpg

I can't resist another gratuitous shot of 2349

998074189_MMSep15HorseSpecial003small.jpg.79272d944db9498fa007892a224cbfd6.jpg

After running around 2349 sets the train back into the dock where the horses can be secured temporarily in the cattle dock and the entourage can disembark.

1938905901_MMSep15HorseSpecial004small.jpg.082604a8c8321cc4c8f482880428c029.jpg

2349 uncouples and leaves light engine to the offstage engine shed to await her next duty.

108208225_MMSep15HorseSpecial005small.jpg.3ffc1ff1e3de0406b74cd0a22fd74329.jpg

The train will stand in the dock until later in the day when it will be taken to the sidings at Newent to be cleaned. It is scheduled to be back at Much Murkle in two days time for the return journey to Holyhead.

1546393622_MMSep15HorseSpecial006small.jpg.2f8ed0d1521da3991631597b00aa5f50.jpg

More to come.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I drove through Much Markle for the first time yesterday (or at least, the first time I had noticed it). Much Murkle has a lot more interesting things going on!

I am very much enjoying your descriptions of the new trains. Thank you for describing the back stories while showing them off.

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the 'likes' and comments, I'm pleased that the new train formations have gone down well, hopefully they will in the exhibition sequence too.

Neil, Much Marcle has had some interesting goings on in the past too, a certain Mr Fred West grew up there but I couldn't say if the local Weston's cider had any influence on his future gruesome activities.

The final new train to get an airing is the early morning Milk and Parcels. On this ocassion the working is in charge of Dukedog 3219 and is first seen approaching Much Murkle with a Toplight brake third (PC Models kit), a Siphon G and two 6 wheel Milk Siphons. This will be the first working in the sequence and represents the delivery of incoming mail, parcels and newspapers and outgoing mail, parcels and milk. There will be a few workmen arriving for shifts at the Cider Mill and a few school children and office workers departing for Newent.

762394180_MMSep15MilkandParcels001small.jpg.8304ed0d5003ce10acb936bb3256f592.jpg

3219 pulls into the station

1421623165_MMSep15MilkandParcels002small.jpg.4568561afffe9e79aad8ee7f3bff7dd2.jpg

After the passengers have alighted and the parcels and incoming and outgoing mail have been unloaded and loaded the train is set back so that the milk can be loaded from the end of the platform.

798442230_MMSep15MilkandParcels003small.jpg.69587adb24b240ec24fa348883357320.jpg

The loco can then uncouple and run around.

2115698010_MMSep15MilkandParcels004small.jpg.9f3f1453499dbc32b5829a4c89f042f4.jpg

3219 then backs onto the train and the fireman gets her ready for the run back to Newent

1869740_MMSep15MilkandParcels005small.jpg.37f19eb3a1aeb1c1c72b89a58109f80f.jpg

After being given the road the Driver gently eases 3219 on her way.

742618926_MMSep15MilkandParcels006small.jpg.fae10c0d942a0d1262ced72814e6ac3b.jpg

I can do some more of these sequences with the more run of the mill workings if you would like to see them but they may have to wait until I've got the next two exhibitions in October out of the way.

Just to get on my soap box for a moment, there was a time when 3/4 shots from a higher viewpoint were used all the time in the modelling press and this type of shot seems to have gone out of fashion. Close ups and low level shots are undoubtably more realistic but I actually quite like to see the ocassional photo of this type as it gives a clearer picture of overall setting.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I can do some more of these sequences with the more run of the mill workings if you would like to see them but they may have to wait until I've got the next two exhibitions in October out of the way.

Yes please! Happy to wait until after the exhibitions, but I'm very interested in what and why you've put your workings together that we get to enjoy watching when lucky enough to see you at a show.

Just to get on my soap box for a moment, there was a time when 3/4 shots from a higher viewpoint were used all the time in the modelling press and this type of shot seems to have gone out of fashion. Close ups and low level shots are undoubtably more realistic but I actually quite like to see the ocassional photo of this type as it gives a clearer picture of overall setting.

I totally agree with your comment. In this case the shots are illustrating the documented movements, so the angle is spot on for the purpose. However, they also give good overview pictures that show off the quality in the overall layout.

Kind regards, Neil

I must have been on Mars to miss all of the excellent thread ! Best hour I've spent for ages tonight from page one. Totally believable and of its period. Thank you so much for posting this.

Marks out of 10 erm....... 98 ! ( I'm saving the other 2 for your next posting! )

Brilliant ! Nuf said :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, these latest photo shoots of yours really show off the layout at its best, and remind me why I love this hobby and especially the GWR! 

I particularly like this photo of the train carrying the Irish stallions. It shows how attention to little things like the rain sheet can make a big difference, I think.

post-7649-0-87722500-1442786622.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must have been on Mars to miss all of the excellent thread ! Best hour I've spent for ages tonight from page one. Totally believable and of its period. Thank you so much for posting this.

Marks out of 10 erm....... 98 ! ( I'm saving the other 2 for your next posting! )

Brilliant ! Nuf said :)

Thank you bgman, I'm pleased you found the thread entertaining and hope you'll keep looking in.

Do I get my extra 2 now, it is my next post after all   :friends: