Mk1 Sleeper

davidw

• RMweb Gold

These are pretty much the last word in Mk1 coaches so it would be good if Bachmann look at the Mk2 or Mk3 fleet next.......

Oooh I dont know about that!

FO & BSO are two significant omissions at the moment!

Cheers

Phil

Guest jim s-w

i once had a bed on that edin/glas sleeper from Bham New Street to scotland. This was circa 1977 - 1978 ish. The 15 coacher arrived from Bristol/Plymouth (was it 1S76?) from Five Ways tunnel with Peak power at the helm. We was in the lead coach (the last coach before the reversal) which was a Mk1 SLSTP sleeper. The de rigeur electric, an 81 or 83 I think it was, hooked up at the north end for the reversal and journey north beneath the wires. Think it was something like 23:55 off new street

I dont have the working book for 77 or 78 but 74-75 has it as 1S23 (23:35) from platform 4. The sleeper is always listed as p4 as i believe its the only platform it fitted. Thing is you cant get to 4 from the five ways tunnel. You must have gone lifford curve, st andrews junction and in from the london/derby end in a westerly direction (new street is orientated east-west) the loco change was normally the same end but you may have reversed and left towards london, going via aston and bescot.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium
You must have gone lifford curve, st andrews junction and in from the london/derby end in a westerly direction (new street is orientated east-west) the loco change was normally the same end but you may have reversed and left towards london, going via aston and bescot.

Every time I have used that train we approached via Lifford Curve and St. Andrews Junction. From New Street onwards the route depended upon overnight track occupations. I have had electric haulage both east and west out of New Street (though fell asleep shortly after and cannot say which routes were then used; via Rugby and reverse was another possibility if required) and even diesel haulage, with an apparently unnecessary loco change, via Soho and Rugeley to the WCML but awoken at Carstairs by the shunting to find an electric on the front (and of course at that time a diesel on the "back" bound for Edinburgh)

• RMweb Premium

Were you banked up the lickey rick?

Jim

Not personally Jim as I'm not quite heavy enough to require it. But the train certainly was on every occasion. Two 37s every time and they seemed to be doing all the work as well.

I dont have the working book for 77 or 78 but 74-75 has it as 1S23 (23:35) from platform 4. The sleeper is always listed as p4 as i believe its the only platform it fitted. Thing is you cant get to 4 from the five ways tunnel. You must have gone lifford curve, st andrews junction and in from the london/derby end in a westerly direction (new street is orientated east-west) the loco change was normally the same end but you may have reversed and left towards london, going via aston and bescot.

Cheers

Jim

Nope. I didnt go Lifford Curve or St. Andrews - as stated I only joined 1S19 from New Street. The train arrived from Five Ways so whilst I cant quite understand why we've suddenly ended up getting a lesson here in platform access at New Street Station I felt it best to make some checks of my own as something didnt sound right to me. Perhaps the track layout differed between 74 and 78 if thats vitally important to anyone.

So anyway.....an ex-signalman who worked in New Street PSB during the time period I referred to has kindly confirmed to me that 1S19 and its southbound counterpart 1V33 generally used Platform 5 which was accessible from the Five Ways tunnel and collaborates my own vivid memory of seeing this train arrive. Sometimes Platform 6 was used if necessary. This is circa 1980 a year or two later than when I travelled but sounds like the arrangements hadnt changed.

Not only that, I have also found out that 1S19 could be routed east out of New St without formation reversal or the electric could be coupled at what was the rear end and be routed through Monument Lane thus reversing the train. This tallies exactly with my memories of 1S19s movements.

Sorry that this thread has been steered off topic but I trust we are now all up to speed and happy with the platforming arrangements of 1S19 at New Street.

Sheesh again......

• RMweb Premium

That would be the Plymouth - Edinburgh / Glasgow overnight. The "Night Riviera" to Paddington never loaded to 14 or 15 in the days of 50 haulage. 6 "wakers" and 3 or 4 sleepers, sometimes with a BG was the limit, later cut back to just 3 wakers and 3 sleepers without the BG.

I will look for a set - pretty sure I noted quite a few sets down

The Barrow - Euston sleeper was a one-way working for instance meaning the sleeping car(s) had to be worked down on a daytime service.

What about the 23;45 (may have been SO?) Ex Euston arrive Barrow approx. 06;30. two sleps + BGs for dropping off and about 3 Mk1s for Barrow. One of the regular Sleps was a B.R. built Ex L.M.S. designed one with the inset handles and grabs.

OzzyO.

Used it quit a lot in the late 70s and 80s first train off Barrow in to London about 10;45 bite to eat around the corner in one of the cafés (greasy spoons) then a full day down south for a load more spotting and a few pints. Then back home on the 23;45, all on a day return ticket.

Good Days.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

The train involved in the Taunton train fire was a Penzance to Paddington service. It was 15 vehicles. That was 1978 which was "in the days of the 50s"

Although things varied slightly over the years the formation of the Penzance Sleeper in both the 1971 and Summer 1982 timetables was 12 vehicles and, unless things had changed over the years, it was occasionally strengthened to provide extra sleepers or to move cars 'light' to/from Old Oak Common. Appreciated that in 1971 it wasn't Class 50 hauled but in the early '80s it sometimes was, on the night of the Taunton fire the train was worked by 47 498 (and, fortunately, I had never at any other time in my entire railway career had to prepare so many personal accident report forms which noted the subject of the form as 'dead').

• 1 month later...

Sure the Inter-City SLC will follow too. Glad to see theyve stuck to their word on interior detail as the original early shots revealed an interior that you could see straight through (no corridor).

Cant wait to see a painted version. These might just make me have a rethink and set my layout back a few years prior to the Mk3 sleeper invasion.

Always wondered why there were no toilet discharge pipes on the Bachmann Mk1s - would they foul the coupling drawbar.......maybe. Might try and add some and see.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jim s-w

So anyway.....an ex-signalman who worked in New Street PSB during the time period I referred to has kindly confirmed to me that 1S19 and its southbound counterpart 1V33 generally used Platform 5 which was accessible from the Five Ways tunnel and collaborates my own vivid memory of seeing this train arrive. Sometimes Platform 6 was used if necessary. This is circa 1980 a year or two later than when I travelled but sounds like the arrangements hadnt changed.

Interesting, its not mentioned in any station working books, its not a route in the sigalling manual and in the case of P6 it most definately wouldn't fit. Could i trouble you to ask your contact to get in touch with me - love a good mystery

Cheers

Jim

(sorry for going OT people)

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting, its not mentioned in any station working books, its not a route in the sigalling manual and in the case of P6 it most definately wouldn't fit. Could i trouble you to ask your contact to get in touch with me - love a good mystery

Cheers

Jim

(sorry for going OT people)

I have spoken to staff who worked in New St and we are pretty sure the sleeper (1S19) arrived and departed from platform 5, as well as the return 1V61, later 1V56, at least when the train was formed of Mk1 sleepers. My memory is of the forward electric loco coming out of the siding which is now platform 4C to drop on the "B" end of 1S19, and I have a photo somewhere of a "roarer" lit up ready for when 1S19 arrived via the West Suburban lines.

Guest jim s-w

Thanks chaps

Still isnt in any station working book though, id appreciate it i you could both ask your contacts to drop me an email as i am keen to see if there were any other regularily used paths not in any of the books

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi David

Personal opinion but you know the difference between a Hornby Mk1 and a Bachmann Mk1? Id say about the same again between a Bachmann model and a (well built) comet one. I aint got the time though so Its Bachmann ones for me. (generally speaking not specifically the sleepers)

Cheers

Jim

That said Jim (and I personally much prefer kit built coaching stock) the Comet sides are unfortunately wrong - you can't correct such a basic flaw without replacing the sides or likewise, and by the look of the Bachmann version at face value it's at least correct.

(My error - incorrect)!

Archived