Things which annoy you with modelling

1. I ain't good enough at it.

2. Those unfortunates who cannot gaurd against spelling guage improperly.

Must be really annoying if you lose it...

3. I've lost it.

• RMweb Gold

The fact that my husband does it and constantly surfs this website and leaves stupid magazines on the bathroom floor!!!!!!!

Michelle

(serves him right for leaving it logged on on MY laptop!)

Andrew,

Apparently, Jen suffers the same problems as Michelle, with the added problem that my spare pair of spectacles apparently clutters our bathroom up on top of the magazines, I blame Artisan100 for the magazines!

I got another one - stupid blummin fly's buzzing around my room all the time! Where do they all come from!?

It gets hot in the loft, so the Velux is open.

In flies a wasp & lands on one of my main lines the other week. Quick turn of the controller to full, a heavy Heljan '47 with 12 on sorted the bu**er out. No derailment but head, tail, wings and legs all over the place !!!.

Brit15

• Like 11

The fact that my husband does it and constantly surfs this website and leaves stupid magazines on the bathroom floor!!!!!!!

Michelle

(serves him right for leaving it logged on on MY laptop!)

May be the next RMWeb poll should be to see which railway magazine is the most popular in the bathroom. :rolleyes:

My gripe is not having a dedicated modelling space so have to pack everything away after a session and then not finding something when you return to it.

• Like 1

DCC! Not the thing itself, more the self-appointed experts who come up with as many different ways of carrying out a simple wiring job as there are stars in the heavens, usually accompanied by a list of 'must-haves' which end up costing more than the layout itself, stock included. Another is those articles which show you how easy it is to wire a 'roundy-round' for DCC when I just want to know how to wire a terminus to fiddle-yard!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Running out of the screws I need when I've got loads of other sizes.

Losing my countersink - those damned pixies again!

Needing 3 hands to complete a job when I only have 2!

"Instructions" presented in pictorial form that are totally unintelligible. Especially when they are backed-up by Chinese text written in 2 point, hence needing a microscope to read it (or is it just old-age?).

My (sometimes) lack of common-sense (only myself to blame there).

Modellers who seem to think there is only one way to do a job - THEIR way!

Just a few for starters. But I agree, best to keep calm!

Jeff

• Like 4

1. Finding half my humbrol paints dried up when I need them

2. Tubes of proper cranicryolateysuperglue which cost £45 per ounce and then glue themselves to the lid never to open again

3. Being full of enthusiasm one day, and the next dr evil stealing my model mojo baby.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

1. Finding half my humbrol paints dried up when I need them

2. Tubes of proper cranicryolateysuperglue which cost £45 per ounce and then glue themselves to the lid never to open again

3. Being full of enthusiasm one day, and the next dr evil stealing my model mojo baby.

Rob, let's just hope you don't need the "Swedish vacuum pump" to restore it! :nono:

Jeff

Guest 40-something

I'll get shot for this but..

Virtual railways, computer modelling it may be but not railway modelling in my opinion.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Some more

Dried tins of paint, all my reddish browns were dry, needed to tone down some underframes. Very little roof grey left (see next)

Masking - when it lifts and your carefully applied blue grey has overspray

My biggest annoyance has to be knowing what I want to do, but as I can be a rather hamfisted modeller from time to time, I am perpetually frustrated by my own impatience and limitations - particularly with regard to painting and getting a good finish.

(And I must do something about the kit part-swallowing black hole that seems to appear whenever (and wherever) I start building something.)

Is the kit swallowing black hole the friendly looking chap in your avatar?

Well I have a few.

1) 3 link / screw coupled rakes of coaches when they should have buckeyes, why bother? Might as well have tension locks.

2) Mark 2 DBSO conversions where thet leave it as a Mark2D but the real ones are Mark2F, not a lot of work to fix, but people STILL do not do it.

OK lets hear yours.

I appreciate that different modellers have differing skills, others have a varying degree of knowledge........................................................................................................I also accept that other modellers create models of prototypes and eras which are of little interest to me............................................................................................................To this end I know there are subjects in the wider hobby of model railways that may not arouse my interest............................................................................................................As a result few things annoy me, but many may not grab my attention.....................................................................But I would be reluctant to state that something 'annoys' me as I prefer to encourage other modellers, not alienate them..........................................................................................................................Brian R

• Like 1

Not having enough time, not using the time I do have constructively.

Looking for a picture/article for reference, being sure it was in a certain book/magazine and finding it somewhere totally different

Getting back from an exhibition, full of enthusiasm, doing some modelling and finding that tool xyz would be ideal for whatever you're working on.. but you don't have one and you visited at least two tool stalls at said exhibition.

Being set on my layout's track plan, scenery etc then visiting exhibitions, looking online, reading mags etc, seeing other layouts and giving me dozens of ideas to try and incorporate sending me back to the drawing board (although this probably says more about me than about modelling).

Phil

• Like 1

A decade ago I used to model Austrian narrow gauge in H0e ... each carefully modelled prototype I finished would immediately be announced as a new product by at least two Austrian artisinal manufacturers ... almost as thought they had a spy in the cellar keeping a careful watch on mini-Molln. I sorted the blighters out by changing to 0e where no-one makes anything much these days ...

Scrabbling around on the floor and finding a Higg's Boson particle when one is looking for a screw.

Relax. It's just a hobby....I like looking for things.

Best, Pete.

Bazinga!!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Losing the spring from an O gauge Peco point when fitting an under baseboard point motor only to kneel on it with a yelp several weeks later after sourcing a replacement and whilst looking for something equally minute that we're stil looking for (and can't now remember what it was!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

OK Why do I hate 3 link / screw couplings on buckeye stock?

Because they are a pain to couple and uncouple, and for the job inaccurate, don't mind on end of rakes, but look silly on a rake of Gresley/Bulleid/BR corridor stock, when eg Kaydees are so much more realistic

• RMweb Premium

Because they are a pain to couple and uncouple, and for the job inaccurate, don't mind on end of rakes, but look silly on a rake of Gresley/Bulleid/BR corridor stock, when eg Kaydees are so much more realistic

And twice the size they realistically should be...................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

People who insist on throwing their teddies out of the pram when manufacturer X in their annual announcements has not announced a Class ## in a specific one day only livery varient that was only seen by their Great Auntie Ethel somewhere near Bromsgrove in 1866 and completely failing to understand why it would not be an instant best seller.

They should be happy now that Bachmann are doing the custard dip livery for the Blue Pullman. :mosking:

• Like 1