Things which annoy you with modelling

Over-complicated kits. I mean ones where the final result could have been equalled with fewer fiddly bits of plastic. The Ratio Provender Store seems to have been designed by someone whose other passion was jigsaws - the more pieces the better. As it's not cheap this is silly. We buy such kits to save time in layout construction - not for the fun of assembly. I think Bachmann launched an RTP version for not very much more money, but this seems to be largely sold out. I wonder why?

Ian,

for some of us the "fun of assembly" can be more important than quickly building yet another layout.

As for Bachmanns's RTP products rapidly selling out, isn't that an indication of the unwillingness/inability of lots of modellers to actually make anything?

Jol

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Bob S

pseudo-expert

Yes, I agree on that one.

That, and finding the lamp iron I dropped on the carpet half an hour ago, 10 seconds after finishing a replacement....

Oh and realising just to late, that flicking the soldering iron to get rid of excess solder is not a good idea when modelling in shorts......

Edited by Bob S

• RMweb Gold

I thought assembling things was part of modelling.

for some of us the "fun of assembly" can be more important than quickly building yet another layout.

I didn't intend to stir up this old chestnut (mixed metaphor, anyone?). Of course seeing something come together in your own hands is gratifying - but a plastic kit that seems to have been designed so that every concrete beam & panel is reproduced as a single item, when walls with moulded detail would have been easier, seems to be gratuitously complicated and takes too long for the value of the result. I would suggest that if you are hooked on "fun of assembly" you are more likely to be scratchbuilding something of this sort - with a good chance of making an equivalent structure more quickly, actually!
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

As for Bachmanns's RTP products rapidly selling out, isn't that an indication of the unwillingness/inability of lots of modellers to actually make anything?

No - it's a sign that the RTP/RTR stuff is pretty good (most of the time).

Getting back on topic - annoying me at the moment is the compulsive Olympics stopping me from modelling (or slowing it down a lot) - although the "London 2012 feel good" factor means that I'll probably buy another loco to repaint after the dust settles................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Another thing. Living in New Zealand, from a modelling point of view.

Is terrible.

You ought to try North Brazil, at least you can get parcels UK to NZ in just over a week, they take a month or more to get here. Then there is the 60 percent import duty. I could go on.

But a look out the window to the Mango trees, you forget about those things, till the next time you need some parts for a model thats on the bench.

• Like 1

Doing searches on the internet for modelling information but the returned lists are of competely irrelevent and non-related suggestions. Then seeing something on that list that looks vaguely interesting and a few seconds later realising you've just wasted an hour of modelling time.

G.

• Like 5

It must have been on here before, but - that awful expression "H0/00 gauge/scale" - completely meaningless!

The only thing the two scales share is the track gauge, wheel standards (sort of) and couplings (which usually aren't to scale anyway).

(Triggered by a search for H0 road vehicles and finding them so described).

Doing searches on the internet for modelling information but the returned lists are of competely irrelevent and non-related suggestions. Then seeing something on that list that looks vaguely interesting and a few seconds later realising you've just wasted an hour of modelling time.

G.

To me, that's one of the enjoyable parts of doing any research. Just think how much more time you could waste if you were doing it in a records office or library.

Nick

• 5 years later...

At the risk of resurrecting this old chestnut thread, I would just like to point something out to people who model the modern railway.  Modern retarding bufferstops that slide along the rails to slow a train to a stop do not get fitted at the end of the sidings they are fitted some 30/40/50 feet from the siding end and not all secondary sidings are so fitted either, Network rail still fit traditional bufferstops on non passenger lines.

Recently been researching modern bufferstops and looked at a few model railways in the magazines and at exhibitions. Now some of the railways were very nice, in a modern sort of way but it's become a pet hate of mine to observe the incorrect fitting of modern retarding bufferstops.... Surely not all of them have been pushed to the end of the line by drivers misjudging the braking distance.

End of rant.

Dave Franks

Just saying.

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of resurrecting this old chestnut thread, I would just like to point something out to people who model the modern railway.  Modern retarding bufferstops that slide along the rails to slow a train to a stop do not get fitted at the end of the sidings they are fitted some 30/40/50 feet from the siding end and not all secondary sidings are so fitted either, Network rail still fit traditional bufferstops on non passenger lines.

Recently been researching modern bufferstops and looked at a few model railways in the magazines and at exhibitions. Now some of the railways were very nice, in a modern sort of way but it's become a pet hate of mine to observe the incorrect fitting of modern retarding bufferstops.... Surely not all of them have been pushed to the end of the line by drivers misjudging the braking distance.

End of rant.

Dave Franks

Just saying.

Like this at Leeds last week.

post-408-0-70965100-1506625221_thumb.jpg

Same day at York - but taking up less space.

post-408-0-58771000-1506625319_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. are you planning on doing the modern retarder type?

• Like 3

End of rant.

Dave Franks

Just saying.

You can get what look like retarding buffers that bolt to the rails directly, and are not intended to slide, those could legitimately be at the end of the rails. 

• RMweb Gold

New to the thread, so ignore me if I'm going over ground probably already covered because I can't be bothered reading 7 pages, but models announced and then apparently not bothered with by their putative manufacturers for insane lengths of time.  I'm looking at you, Bachmann 94xx.  If you announce a model and it takes a while because of unforeseen production difficulties, I understand and sympathise even if I moan about it, but this has made no progress whatever in a year; extractus digitius or get out of the game, please.

New to the thread, so ignore me if I'm going over ground probably already covered because I can't be bothered reading 7 pages, but models announced and then apparently not bothered with by their putative manufacturers for insane lengths of time.  I'm looking at you, Bachmann 94xx.  If you announce a model and it takes a while because of unforeseen production difficulties, I understand and sympathise even if I moan about it, but this has made no progress whatever in a year; extractus digitius or get out of the game, please.

What's buying (or in this case not being able to buy) a manufactured product got to do with MODELLING? ;)

PS: According to the last I heard from Hattons, my two Oxford GWR brake vans will arrive in the next two days, but Oxford's web site still shows them as "Future". I suspect my bank account is safe for now :(.

Edited by BG John