St.Agnes Station - summer timetable

Jack00

Very good point Mickey.

I've got quite a good eye for this. As you say templot is probably a very handy tool, but for such a small track plan/layout it could possibly be overkill. Just my own opinion of course.

(Also C&L kits include the necessary paper plans to complete)

Jack

The mirror trick is something I have used in the past with track laying and it certainly helps, its like taking picture of your work and then looking at them when reviewing progress as your eye tends to see what you want it to see.

I have heard the C&L kits are a really good help, if I ever get the courage to change up scales I think I would have a look at these, though in the back of my head I'm still contemplating 2mm FS

Ah...I like that little mirror trick indeed! Thanks Mickey.

Paul, the British finescale track in 2mm (now with turnout kits) looks really good. RBE (cav) and Cornish trains Jez (Jeremy) are both using the code 40 kit in their layouts and to a person with a bit of track building experience would probably be a walk in the park.

And the results look asthetically pleasing (and I don't think flange/wheel set changes are needed) !

:foot note:

I can't believe im up so early on my day off.

Jack

• RMweb Gold

I have a rather different approach to trackwork. I build in situ and dont usually work from templates. I have a table giving the various leads ( the distance from the point blades to the crossing) for different crossing angles. I then mark out the turnout with a few contruction marks. This enables me to have very slight curves which tends to make the trackwork flow. If I need a curved turnout proper I can use a formular to work out what turnout to use to maintain the radii. However I have found that there are just a few sizes that are useful and have a simple table which gives the diverging route radius for various main radii. I have seen a lot of layouts where the trackwork looks distorted to fit standard turnouts in. It is true Templot will do the same but I find it takes more time than just drawing the few lines I need.

Don

• RMweb Premium

What Templot does allow you to do is to map out where the track goes, whereas using the templates provided in the kits (which are an expensive route to go down), you may end up with linear turnouts, etc.

I'm not being very clear there I suppose but real track is rarely totally straight with the converging route being at a set radius, and Templot allows you to build your turnouts, etc, on curves that fit the location

Don and Jason, thanks for the useful tips there. Definitely worth keeping in mind when laying the track. Especially as there are a few gentle curves at each end of the layout.

Jeremy, I keep getting distracted by the sunshine.

Thanks

Jack

Hello Jack,  Glad to hear you have found your mojo again, looking forward to see how you get on with the track building, something l have never tried, keep the post coming very interesting...

George

Morning George.

Hope your well. Yes mojo did dissappear for a while to the point I nearly stored it all up in the loft. But luckily I found it beforehand.

Should have some updates soon, nearly finished the cork laying.

Cheers.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Andy.

Completely lost the plot with St.Agnes at the minute.

Ive started moving the 'Railway Room' to my spare bedroom. Brighter room and further away from the neighbours lounge (DCC sound loco's will get a better life now haha!)

Cheers

Jack

Evening Andy.

Completely lost the plot with St.Agnes at the minute.

Ive started moving the 'Railway Room' to my spare bedroom. Brighter room and further away from the neighbours lounge (DCC sound loco's will get a better life now haha!)

Cheers

Jack

Come on get some work done on the layout sod the neighbours

One question how do you change the title of your thread???

• 1 month later...

Archived