Modellers' reduction

• RMweb Gold

640px-Cheltenham_racecourse.JPG

That's a picture from ground level, imagine if you were looking down at this station, from a plane flying somewhere over the right hand bank - how tall would the trees look, and would shorter trees still look correct ?

Edit: Which is probably the point in the first post.

IMG_0023_1600.jpg

Not sure what the other images on this discussion are attempting to prove.

Whilst trees are all shapes and sizes, in this image of Seaton Junction, some trees (left upper) dominate the skyline, others seem to be much smaller.

Plus ça change?

Tim

Guest jim s-w

We need a picture of a underscale model tree now so that we can give feedback on if it looks right or not (i think that was the point of the OP)

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I use HO trees on my N scale layout and I've got at least one 7mm tree (ie marketed as such) on my 00 layout. I think you have to adopt a suck it and see approach, try it in situ, give it a bit of time then decide whether it works or not.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Interesting thread, thanks to the OP for starting it.

One of the reasons I enjoyed Michael Portillo's recent series was the lingering aerial shots that were a feature of each programme.

I must admit, I am a little disappointed with the look of some of the trees on the club layout I have been spending time working on over the last year - they don't look "dense" enough even though I experimented with numerous different construction methods.

I'll probably revisit them in the next few weeks, and may investigate the use of some of those techniques used by US modellers as others have mentioned.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

I think it would work, particularly if the whole layout is 'enclosed' as per Ian Rice, so the whole layout becomes a 'theatrical presentation'.

What you dont see, ie the tree top, is constructed in your imagination.

Works for me!

Interesting idea, but I think it would only work if the layout is enclosed, as Jim and Neil suggest. If you have no pelmet to delineate the viewing height of the layout, and thus hide the lopped-off top of your tree, the whole effect would seem bizarre to me and slightly unsettling.

You could use the same argument about tall buildings, such as tower blocks.

I have not problem with selective compression, because it would be the overall impression that you are going for, rather than modelling an individual tree to scale.

If you achieve the same satisfactory overall effect by modelling everything to precise scale, as per Jim's argument, then that's fine too, of course.

I think it would work, particularly if the whole layout is 'enclosed' as per Ian Rice, so the whole layout becomes a 'theatrical presentation'.

What you dont see, ie the tree top, is constructed in your imagination.

Works for me!

Sounds a good idea to me too,

and could work really well...

Then your mind makes the trees as tall as it wants....

One should always bear in mind that real trees do vary hugely in height

so is there such a thing as "correct" height?

and I don't think I've ever heard anyone at a show asking "how old are your trees supposed to be?"

Another issue is the proportion of the trees to everything else in the model - backscene included

If we saw a fully grown tree against a backscene where the top of the backscene is clearly visible,

and perhaps a similar height - the tree could look overscale....

... or the backscene too short...

The perception of pylon, building and tree height can also be affected by the overall proportions of the layout

On a short visible section, say between 2 tall view-blockers, a tall structure or tree can look oversized

For those who have bought a job-lot of what they now may be thinking, are under-sized trees,

don't forget the effective modelling technique of "forced perspective"

Using "undersized" structures, trees and figures can work well,

in convincing the viewer that the scene has greater depth....

There's a nice chapter regarding forced perspective in Gordon Gravetts'

excellent book on 7mm modelling (part 1) and some photos & illustrations to demonstrate this

- using scale 7mm buildings in the foreground, and buildings becoming 6mm and then 5mm scale towards the rear....

Whew - a much larger comment than I had anticipated!

scale 8mm / ft surely ;)

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

and I don't think I've ever heard anyone at a show asking "how old are your trees supposed to be?"

Cheers

The one time someone does ask you that question, you need to be ready to snap your tree in two and show them

the intricately modelled growth rings: "and there's the particularly cold winter of 1756..." etc

The one time someone does ask you that question, you need to be ready to snap your tree in two and show them

the intricately modelled growth rings: "and there's the particularly cold winter of 1756..." etc

No Barry,

That cold winter was in 1755....

.... tsk, tsk ;)

• RMweb Gold

Miss Prism's pictures tell it as it is, especially the first one. Imagine trying to see that train from 100 feet away. The trees would block your view.

Often things are much larger that we reailse. Its not just trees. I have seen layouts with houses and other buildings made to full 4mm to the foot scale, and they can look really over size, especially if they are in the background. While underscale, I use a lot of HO building kits on my layout and they look right (to my eyes anyway). A normal 6'6" high x 2'6" wide door scales out in 4mm at 26mm x 10mm. Thats bigger than a lot of "model" doors. Doorways to a public building such as a station or a town hall would be much bigger and look way overscale even though they may be dimensionally accurate.

Archived