Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

The second pic I would suggest that the train has broken down and the passengers detrained. Obviously not any sort of special going by the filthy state of the engine which is why I sumise it has broken down.

I think that if that had happened, they wouldn't have walked up to the end of the platform and the gent on the right seems to have a note book in his pocket, suggesting a rail enthusiast. If we can nail down the location, that would make it easier for me to hunt down the entry in Dad's log books, otherwise it's every line of every page until Collett 0-6-0s were no more!

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

In those days some stock still had the toilet tanks filled through the roof. I remember some ex-GWR stations with filling hoses on the platform canopies and hearing staff walking alomg the top of the train.

There certainly is someone on the roof of the fourth carriage, but one can't see what he is up to.

Edited by phil_sutters

The second pic I would suggest that the train has broken down and the passengers detrained. Obviously not any sort of special going by the filthy state of the engine which is why I sumise it has broken down.

Looks like an 85B shedplate. Horton Road's standard loco livery was deep grime.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, that will make tracking down the date somewhat easier. I can flick through until I find Gloucester not just 3203. I am sure that if I could be bothered, it would be nice to have his logs all digitized, but I spent long enough with his photos!

19/11/2016 Dad recorded 3203 on shed several times but I haven't yet found an entry which would marry up with his photo above.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

Thanks, that will make tracking down the date somewhat easier. I can flick through until I find Gloucester not just 3203. I am sure that if I could be bothered, it would be nice to have his logs all digitized, but I spent long enough with his photos!

3203 was withdrawn in December 1963 so the photo must be before then.

Here's a blast from the past! Phil Hancock collects the daily water rations from Brian Monckton aboard 50002 at  Largin box in 1987. This age old tradition held until the box closed in 1992, from when a small panel controlled the area in Lostwithiel box. 

post-2613-0-49465700-1479138083_thumb.jpeg

Edited by winterbournecm
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting that Mike, I remember watching that and going to Heaton as a secondman to practice the operation.

A shame the designers of more modern stock didn't incorporate such flexibility into their designs, mind APT-P was even easier having buffers behind the hinged nose

This is interesting, Nidge (Rugd) will recognise the Driver (whose name I can't remember alas), and possibly the Secondman on the Class 47, while the location is of course very obvious to those of us who knew it.

Why did the Guard have to do all the work, holding up the drawbar with one hand and fitting the pin with the other?

What were the other three men doing? Just stood watching him?

I would have got that young lad down and had him hold the bar whilst I fitted the pin.

This is exactly the same procedure I used when towing in broken down buses, which was always a two man job.

Peter

This is interesting, Nidge (Rugd) will recognise the Driver (whose name I can't remember alas), and possibly the Secondman on the Class 47, while the location is of course very obvious to those of us who knew it.

Lovely clip there Mike - I do recognise the Driver but can't recall his name, the Secondman looks very familiar but likewise, I don't recall his name either. I'll post the link on the Old Oak farcebook group and see what transpires.

Edit - it's already on there... the HST Driver is Earnie Stead, the young Second man on the 47 is Gareth Williams while his Driver is Bryn Jones and the Guard is Eric Berry.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why did the Guard have to do all the work, holding up the drawbar with one hand and fitting the pin with the other?

I would have got that young lad down and had him hold the bar whilst I fitted the pin.

This is exactly the same procedure I used when towing in broken down buses, which was always a two man job.

Peter

You should have seen the palaver there there was trying to couple an HST to a 15X unit on an exercise we did at Ledbury.  I was a bit late arriving due to the (BR) 'land crab' playing up, seriously, on the way but they'd been at it for about 30 minutes before I arrived.  I took one look at the special bar for such occasions and it was obvious it was never going to fit so promptly scrapped Plan A (although I wasn't quite the most senior person on site) and we ran the HST and the 15X into the tunnel as two separate moves instead of coupled as we'd originally planned.  Distinctly 'orrible tunnel is Ledbury Tunnel - not just so narrow that you can't open the out-swinging doors on a Mk3 coach (among others) but also distinctly manky and slippery underfoot - that one visit was quite enough of it for me.

Lovely clip there Mike - I do recognise the Driver but can't recall his name, the Secondman looks very familiar but likewise, I don't recall his name either. I'll post the link on the Old Oak farcebook group and see what transpires.

Edit - it's already on there... the HST Driver is Earnie Stead, the young Second man on the 47 is Gareth Williams while his Driver is Bryn Jones and the Guard is Eric Berry.

The second man on the 47 has the curly mop that was common back in the day. I wanted to shout "get yer hair cut"

Peter

Because the failed train would only normally have a driver and guard on board and the driver would have gone to lay assistance protection and has to remain there so only the Guard would be available as there wouldnt normally be any other crew available and having different versions depending on how many crew are available would just be confusing.

Because the failed train would only normally have a driver and guard on board and the driver would have gone to lay assistance protection and has to remain there so only the Guard would be available as there wouldnt normally be any other crew available and having different versions depending on how many crew are available would just be confusing.

Thank you for the explanation.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Here's a shot I've been meaning to post for some time: Driver Matt Clark at the controls of a class 107 DMU at Largs Station in August 1981. I wonder if any RMwebbers north of the border know of, or knew Matt?

post-7291-0-68423900-1480250953_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...