The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Premium

An absolute corker of a shot courtesy of Mark Humberstone on the Old Oak facebook group - Old Oak Driver Peter Williams and Secondman Chris Guntripp aboard 'Western Nobleman' at Padd in 1976...

attachicon.gifD1058 MARK HUMBERSTONE GUNNY 7 PETER WILLIAMS 1976.jpg

crikey, Nidge, that loco's had more hits than the Beatles!

I'm not sure why but the name Chris Guntripp rings a bell. Did he/does he drive diesels at preserved gala's?

crikey, Nidge, that loco's had more hits than the Beatles!

I'm not sure why but the name Chris Guntripp rings a bell. Did he/does he drive diesels at preserved gala's?

Yes Gary, Chris is a regular driver on the SVR on the Hydraulics, I think he also owns 37 109 which is based (or at least used to be) on the East Lancs line. He's currently based with DB Schenker at Hither Green.

• RMweb Premium

Yes Gary, Chris is a regular driver on the SVR on the Hydraulics, I think he also owns 37 109 which is based (or at least used to be) on the East Lancs line. He's currently based with DB Schenker at Hither Green.

Thanks for clearing that up Nidge, I knew I'd heard his name from somewhere on the railway, just couldn't remember where!

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifroy on W&C line.jpg

Me on the Waterloo & City Line circa 1983,the end of the line, a rare shot taken in the depot. picture by Pekka Sisskonen

There used to be a Euston driver known as "Slow Line" Jones as his initials were S.L.!! Lived at Northampton. There were some witty nicknames around!

We had some good ones at Canton.  There was a bloke called Harpic, because he'd drive you clean around the bend, and another one called Thrombosis, a bloody clot wandering around blocking up the system.  

With pedants cap on,

"According to the description on Flickr (click on NICE HAT, it will take you to the Flickr page) it is Midsomer Norton Colliery. Radstock is away to the left."

RBAGE is correct, it is Norton Hill Colliery looking down into Midsomer Norton, with Radstock off to the RIGHT.  The rugby posts in the centre are where the sports centre building is now, with Rackvernal Road behind.

Pedants cap off.   ;-)

• RMweb Premium

We had some good ones at Canton.  There was a bloke called Harpic, because he'd drive you clean around the bend, and another one called Thrombosis, a bloody clot wandering around blocking up the system.  

We have a guy to this day known as run-through!

No prizes for guessing why.

We have a guy to this day known as run-through!

No prizes for guessing why.

One of our managers has been bequeathed the nickname 'synth'!

One of our drivers at another depot was called 'Warren Beatty', I always thought it was his nickname as he was a bit of a lad, a hit with the ladies and owned two Porsche 911s. Turned out it was actually his real name!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have just posted this in the Scottish Region 1980's topic, but thought it would also fit in here.

post-89-0-34735300-1482071130_thumb.jpg

A less than gruntled driver about to take over 55012 Crepello at Waverley in 1981 ( I think the year is correct). The train had just arrived 40 min late on a newcastle Aberdeen service after an engine room fire at Berwick. It was replaced by 55007 Pinza for the onward journey

Regards

Ian

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic find that Michael! It takes years of practice and skill to be able to stand on the shoulder of ballast like that...!

I had lots of practice at this when out flagging signals. There wasn't much else to do between trains...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One of our managers has been bequeathed the nickname 'synth'!

One of our drivers at another depot was called 'Warren Beatty', I always thought it was his nickname as he was a bit of a lad, a hit with the ladies and owned two Porsche 911s. Turned out it was actually his real name!

One of my colleagues talks about a former guard at snow hill known as 'stocking tops' coz he's the closest thing to a t**t he knows

• RMweb Gold

One of my colleagues talks about a former guard at snow hill known as 'stocking tops' coz he's the closest thing to a t**t he knows

May I have your permission to use that one?  I know someone it applies to and it's far too good to waste...

• Like 1