The human side of the railway...

3 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Yes Russ he's with XC down at Bristol now, he lives near the rhubarb triangle!

One of the best named bits of railway. "What 'appened was, I was going round the Rhubarb, and..."

The namesake pub has been closed for many years, but still stands.

Jo

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Seeing all these pics of train spotters makes me wonder if there are still train spotters or are they extinct?

Oh they're still about Phil, I see quite a lot on my travels at work. There are some regular faces at Nuneaton and Water Orton, mostly of a certain age but there are few youngsters amongst them. A couple of weeks ago i was waiting to relieve 6M39 at Kettering and a young lad was asking me about 66s, he said he'd only seen a few and was there with his Dad taking photos on his mobile phone. I kept being reminded of myself doing the same thing almost fifty years ago, only with Westerns and Hymeks etc!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I didn't have a chance to ask, Nidge, as she got onto a GN train to Cambridge. The 91 was celebratory "Battle of Britain Memorial Flight", so that might have had a bearing on her taking a pic.

Who knows might have a son or grandson that flies a Spitfire...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Doncaster, rain, and spotters...

401671.doncaster.JPG.bf16ee28704d538363d177e83d86025a.JPG

It isn’t, but one of these teenagers could have been me, watching train operations with school friends in the late 70s on a wet Saturday morning 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2023 at 17:01, Steadfast said:

One of the best named bits of railway. "What 'appened was, I was going round the Rhubarb, and..."

The namesake pub has been closed for many years, but still stands.

Jo

Jo you'll be telling us next that you know where The Chocolate Poodle was.    Just looked on Google Streetview and it still appeatrs to be there but it's closed.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Jo you'll be telling us next that you know where The Chocolate Poodle was.  

It's in my snug lounge - goes by the name of Ted - seen here on a particularly stressful morning .................... 🙄

Ted.jpg

• Like 10
  • Funny 6

21 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Jo you'll be telling us next that you know where The Chocolate Poodle was.    Just looked on Google Streetview and it still appeatrs to be there but it's closed.

Indeed I do, though that's thanks to dad pointing it out on countless family trips in the car to Salisbury. Booked route Chippenham, Devizes, Market Lavington and across the plain.

I'll be learning the B&H next month, so I'll officially know then! 

Jo

• Like 3

On 09/09/2023 at 12:29, PhilJ W said:

Seeing all these pics of train spotters makes me wonder if there are still train spotters or are they extinct?

You still see a few regulars at Eastleigh...not entirely sure why but they seem happy enough.

I may have become a bit jaded though...if I'm passing by when Arlington release the latest shiny class 50 etc I'm usually happy but temper it with "Ah, saw one of them years ago when they were proper"  🤓

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Indeed I do, though that's thanks to dad pointing it out on countless family trips in the car to Salisbury. Booked route Chippenham, Devizes, Market Lavington and across the plain.

I'll be learning the B&H next month, so I'll officially know then! 

Jo

Many years ago it was a shout heard across the office from one of the DCCs in Reading Control when somebody asked how a train was doing on the B&H and back came the reply 'Just coming up past the Chocolate Poodle'.  It closed down a good many years back but reopened - probably about 20 years ago - bot has long since closed again.

Of course the line there was never part of the B&H but was actually the Stert & Westbury although it was authorised as part of a GWR Act of Parliament and used to be commonly know as the Lavington Cut-off - as it 'cut-off' and shortened the original route via Devizes.  So while we have all long called it 'the B&H' all the way from Reading to Westbury that railway actually only got from Reading to Hungerford and then 15 years later the B&H Extension took it through to Devizes. It was almost another 40 years before the Stert & Westbury was opened.

Enjoy that 17 mile climb up from Lavington to Savernake  with several thousand tons behind you.  If you leave Westbury with a full load you've just got time to make it to Woodborough Loop before you're overtaken by an IET which left Taunton at the same time as you were leaving Westbury.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

In case anyone is wondering - the former Chocolate Poodle pub in Market Lavington.

Chocolate poodle

Seen today below & located roughly where the blue arrow is pointing behind the "warehouse" - view taken from the next OB to the West in Cheverall.

Lavington (Cheverall) - one of my favourite photo locations - spent many a happy hour photographing the "stone" there and one of the things I miss about not living on the Plain anymore.

It would equally be a very useful location for a re-opened station too these days being on the A360. Quick stoppers Westbury - Lavington - Pewsey - Burbage (for Marlborough) - Bedwyn - Hungerford - Newbury. 

CP.jpg

CP1.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I must have been at York station countless times since 2004, but I noticed this on 13th September 2023 and I genuinely can't recall if I've seen it before, although it's obviously been there for awhile.  It's good that the human side was recognised.

The irony of posting this at the same time as the construction of HS2 beyond Birmingham is in doubt and that the progress of mainline electrification schemes south of the border continues to be glacial is not lost on me. 

AdrianWhiteplaqueYork13092023-RMweb.jpg.54693ce3c452ca759ed0ccc077c207d9.jpg 

• Like 18