The human side of the railway...

20 hours ago, russ p said:

Were they in multi Nidge? 

No Russ, driven in tandem as the multi-gear isn't working as far as I know.

Another shot of them at Kidderminster with assorted onlookers...

IMG_0952aa.JPG.3687333b08655748928b6e1d7c7c3252.JPG

And again at Bridgnorth...

IMG_0841a.JPG.38c5a41ee3fbe4bcab14570b8839cb41.JPG

Regular Hydraulic driver Roger Smith on D1062 at Bridgnorth...

IMG_0808a.JPG.6e4de07f4ced5c51a9742259271b4843.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

No Russ, driven in tandem as the multi-gear isn't working as far as I know.

Another shot of them at Kidderminster with assorted onlookers...

IMG_0952aa.JPG.3687333b08655748928b6e1d7c7c3252.JPG

And again at Bridgnorth...

IMG_0841a.JPG.38c5a41ee3fbe4bcab14570b8839cb41.JPG

Regular Hydraulic driver Roger Smith on D1062 at Bridgnorth...

IMG_0808a.JPG.6e4de07f4ced5c51a9742259271b4843.JPG

That's a shame,  would have sounded better. Is that Jim tipping on the platform 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, russ p said:

That's a shame,  would have sounded better. Is that Jim tipping on the platform 

Getting them to work in multi was reportedly one heck iof a game.  When the Western did it for regular working they were specially selected and matched pairs because in lots of cases it was found the multi cables weren't correctly wired.  And of course no doubt some cables 'had been damaged in shunting' when the cable had been caught on something (lie a buffer!!).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/10/2023 at 18:39, Rugd1022 said:

821 and 832 getting the right away at Hampton Loade...

D821 #1.JPG

Apart from the stock that could be Hungerford, circa 1969, 4,400hp for 156tons, not unreasonable compared to double-headed class 40s.  About as long as a single 40 as well!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Apart from the stock that could be Hungerford, circa 1969, 4,400hp for 156tons, not unreasonable compared to double-headed class 40s.  About as long as a single 40 as well!

Hungerford?  The curve goes the wrong way for the east end, the background is totally wrong  with no sidings in sight and  the addition of  a non-existent cutting side.  It would all be even more wrong for the west end where at least the curve goes the right way but the level crossing is missing plus the signal box and roofs of  houses aren't in the background.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok, not Hungerford, never been over the B&H in daylight, but deffo somewhere on the B&H, or maybe South Devon west of Totnes.  Never signed the B&H either, what you think I am, Saltley?  

As a general question, which depot had the widest variety of routes to cover legitimately?  I’m suspecting Saltley is up there, but so would be Crewe, York, Gateshead, Holbeck/Neville Hill, Patricroft, and no doubt others would have a claim as well.  Not just distance, a depot covering  a number of local branches with trip work would probably take the title…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Ok, not Hungerford, never been over the B&H in daylight, but deffo somewhere on the B&H, or maybe South Devon west of Totnes.  Never signed the B&H either, what you think I am, Saltley?  

As a general question, which depot had the widest variety of routes to cover legitimately?  I’m suspecting Saltley is up there, but so would be Crewe, York, Gateshead, Holbeck/Neville Hill, Patricroft, and no doubt others would have a claim as well.  Not just distance, a depot covering  a number of local branches with trip work would probably take the title…

Tiverton Junction about to start back out on to the down main

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Doesn't fit nywhrere on the B&H as there were no cuttings that deep near any B&H stations (in fact Newbury was the only B&H station that was in anything approaching a cutting).  The only B&H Extension station in a cutting was Savernake but that's completely wrong for the east end of Savernake (where there was something approaching a cutting side in that position).  Also the south end of Devizes ran un into a cutting but the curve went the opposite way before entering the tunnel.  On the Westbury & Stertt - usually regarded nowadays as part of the B&H - there was a bit of cutting at the west end of Lavington but nothing like that deep and further from the platform.

Saltley covered quite a lot of routes legitimately - and a lot more less than legitimately - and the same can be said of Eastleigh.  In steam days becaisuse of lodging turns depots tended to work over far greater distances but in some cases Guards went further than enginemen.  For example Old Oak enginemen worked as far as Wolverhampton but Paddington Guards worked through to Chester at one time.  But both knew all five routes between Paddngton and Bristol.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, The Johnster said:

@Matt37268 said Arley, but doesn't the curve there go the other way? Here's a better picture from Google maps

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4169993,-2.3482712,3a,74.7y,179.04h,88.22t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipM-xOjBmyIAxqHsAHODJZLZ72xYX2Ho4t4oME8o!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM-xOjBmyIAxqHsAHODJZLZ72xYX2Ho4t4oME8o%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi3.5217276-ya52.92128-ro-2.5337596-fo100!7i5760!8i2880?hl=en&entry=ttu

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

That’s looking towards the Bewdley direction, the photo @Rugd1022 has posted is looking towards the direction of Highley. 
My Parents also helped rebuild the down platform where @Rugd1022 took his photo from, I’ve also volunteered at Arley for a quite a few years in my youth it’s a location I know very, very well.

I really don’t want to sound like a sarcastic , but as an extra point where’s the footbridge at Hampton Loade appeared from? 

• Like 6

My only possible excuse for not getting the location right in the caption is 'Warship fumes'. I rest my case!

The enthusiasm and positive vibes at the Hydraulic fest last week was absolutely incredible, four days of sheer, utter delight. Here's my ex-guvnor Steve Wainwright in the chair of 832...

IMG_1608.JPG.431b7b4c56846d769cf434307743bd1b.JPG

• Like 15

None of these guys look happy - I'm sure sitting in the Driving position and making it go for the pleasure of others would be more enjoyable. 😁

I remember once standing at Koln and looking up & up (they're tall) at the Lokfuhrer of a Class 103 hanging out of his cab window and thinking you lucky, lucky b&stard ............................... 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I remember the Warships during the brief period that they appeared at Bescot. Noisy, hot , very pungent fumes and that was just in the cab!

Give me a type 2 Sulzer or EE type 4 any day.  Hydraulics were for the hair shirt brigade.

Although interesting to drive.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What to do when signal checked at Greet tunnel? Ring the box .........then take some phots. Secondman and driver get some snaps of a most excellently healthy 37215 this afternoon during the superb autumn mixed traction showcase on the Glos and Warwicks 

Regards

Guy20231029_141522.jpg.7917eb7067a86ba4c96f0842260e3c21.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Ashburton Loco shed March1970, the driver is Fred Heath ex NA driver used to be a regular Ashburton Driver in BR days 

Photo from my late Father's collection

20231017_163217_12.jpg.114a7e817748d7ce157909bf6165411f.jpg

photo JR BESLEY

• Like 17