The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Vanfit said:

Basingstoke Linemen Frank Brooks -Lineman, Dennis Upton (my father) - Assistant Lineman, outside the Lineman’s mess room and workshop at Basingstoke station before the PSB was opened in 1966 and the linemen, then renamed Technicians moved to the PSB.

Their district comprised the ex GWR SBs on the Reading branch, Basingstoke C, Bramley, with level crossing, Mortimer and Burghfield, this included about 15 miles of pole route. For faults across the regional boundary, they would sometimes go to Southcote SB and meet up with the lineman there Jim Fuller.

Mike I've more than an inkling that  Jim Fuller was related to a Relief Signalman called Ken Fuller as I know he had at least one relative working on the railway in the Reading area.  Ken when i knew him was a member of what was known as the Tamping Gang originally formed for various signalling duties connected with yes, tamping possessions.  In the late 1960s they knew just about every surviving mechanical box in the London Division except the larger ones at Oxford and they relieved all over the place - Risborough one week, Bedwyn the next type of thing.   I think Ken Fuller ended up in Reading panel as a Signalman, Stan (can't remember hs surname) I think became a Supervisor in Reading panel, Tony Barry, Chaorman of Reading BRSA, also became a Supervisor in Reading Panel and Bob Bowden became a Supervisor in Old Oak panel.

I visited Tony for a chat one evening when he was relieving at Shiplake not long before it was closed.  There  you could hear one of the best time saving bell codes I've ever heard.  After the branch train arrived at Henley, and no messing with Call Attention,when the Henley Signalman sent 2-1-3-1-2 and Shiplake acknowledge it by repettion and then pulled his Acceptance Lever, offered the train to Twyford (accepted immediately) and pulled off

his signals.  I bet that didn't happen if oficialdom were about!

• Like 9

Mike,

I remember those guys, not sure if Ken Fuller was related to Jim, I do recall Ken drove a Triumph Stag, us young guys looked on enviously!

Tony Barry, 'The Emperor' and ran his shifts accordingly.

I think Robbie Bowden may have been the signalman on duty at Hungerford when an up stone train derailed and demolished the box. The story put about was that one moment he was looking at the train for tail lamp, the next moment he was sitting on top of a wagon.

As for Shiplake, trust a signalman to find a way to make life easier, when the governor is not about!

Happy days

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2023 at 15:22, The Stationmaster said:

Stan (can't remember hs surname) I think became a Supervisor in Reading panel,

That’ll be Stan Thompson you’re thinking of, Mike. And yes, he did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2023 at 17:12, Vanfit said:

I think Robbie Bowden may have been the signalman on duty at Hungerford when an up stone train derailed and demolished the box.

Yes, he was. He was one of the supervisors in Reading Panel when he retired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/11/2023 at 15:22, The Stationmaster said:

Mike I've more than an inkling that  Jim Fuller was related to a Relief Signalman called Ken Fuller as I know he had at least one relative working on the railway in the Reading area.  Ken when i knew him was a member of what was known as the Tamping Gang originally formed for various signalling duties connected with yes, tamping possessions.  In the late 1960s they knew just about every surviving mechanical box in the London Division except the larger ones at Oxford and they relieved all over the place - Risborough one week, Bedwyn the next type of thing.   I think Ken Fuller ended up in Reading panel as a Signalman, Stan (can't remember hs surname) I think became a Supervisor in Reading panel, Tony Barry, Chaorman of Reading BRSA, also became a Supervisor in Reading Panel and Bob Bowden became a Supervisor in Old Oak panel.

I visited Tony for a chat one evening when he was relieving at Shiplake not long before it was closed.  There  you could hear one of the best time saving bell codes I've ever heard.  After the branch train arrived at Henley, and no messing with Call Attention,when the Henley Signalman sent 2-1-3-1-2 and Shiplake acknowledge it by repettion and then pulled his Acceptance Lever, offered the train to Twyford (accepted immediately) and pulled off

his signals.  I bet that didn't happen if oficialdom were about!

Those relief Bobbies must have racked up some miles getting to and from the 'boxes on their patch - I know David Canning did in his trusty Austin 1100 down on the Berks & Hants. Pete 'Pinkie' Salmon was one of the highest paid relief men on the Midland, a local legend in the East Mids, he didn't half get about and worked as many rest days as possible to keep the job afloat. I posted some photos of him at Bardon Hill earlier in the thread - he was known for keeping the kettle on the go wherever he went and wearing cycle clips when riding one of his many motorbikes to work. He retired at 62 but came back for another stint, just to get away from his mother-in-law!

• Like 8
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2023 at 17:12, Vanfit said:

Mike,

I remember those guys, not sure if Ken Fuller was related to Jim, I do recall Ken drove a Triumph Stag, us young guys looked on enviously!

Tony Barry, 'The Emperor' and ran his shifts accordingly.

I think Robbie Bowden may have been the signalman on duty at Hungerford when an up stone train derailed and demolished the box. The story put about was that one moment he was looking at the train for tail lamp, the next moment he was sitting on top of a wagon.

As for Shiplake, trust a signalman to find a way to make life easier, when the governor is not about!

Happy days

Bob was actually left ja hanging ion to theh back wall of the 'box which was the only bit still standing upright.  Fortunately the Fire N Brigade arrived fairly quickly and they rescued him.  i'd known - albeit not very well - when j he was a Signlamn in Reading West Goods 'box.

9 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Those relief Bobbies must have racked up some miles getting to and from the 'boxes on their patch - I know David Canning did in his trusty Austin 1100 down on the Berks & Hants. Pete 'Pinkie' Salmon was one of the highest paid relief men on the Midland, a local legend in the East Mids, he didn't half get about and worked as many rest days as possible to keep the job afloat. I posted some photos of him at Bardon Hill earlier in the thread - he was known for keeping the kettle on the go wherever he went and wearing cycle clips when riding one of his many motorbikes to work. He retired at 62 but came back for another stint, just to get away from his mother-in-law!

Heck of a lot of mileage Nidge - and they claimed for it or they claimed Travelling Time (or Walking Time in some cases) from their Home Station (Reading) plus Lodging Allowance - seems to have depended on where they were working as to which they claimed.  As a result when I knew them in the late '60s they all ran big cars - 3 litre Rovers were a particular favourite with a couple of them at one time.

Travelling Time was a nice little earner.  When I was in the DMO at Reading  I was one of a small group who were called upon by local managers to cover awkward booking office shifts - normally back end of the late turn. But we all booked Travelling Time to/from Reading.  At one time I was also covering a hard to fill vacancy at Henley before heading in to the Tower to do my own job (arriving just over an hour later than normal) but to get to w Henley I had to book Travelling Time on the empty branch DMU from Reading, irrespective of the fact that I was still in bed some while after the bubble car had left Reading!! 

Another chap was a regular covering the back end of the late turn at Maidenhead and he of course booked Travelling Time back to Reading - although he happened to live within easy walking distance of Maidenhead station.  But it worked the other way for me off that job , or Slough, as I got home after I would have got to Reading.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

D6xx at Swindon Works...

D6XXDOUGPARFITT.jpg.033bf503f6ba8c6ff9ee5344b8ef32fb.jpg

That looks a nicely laid out cab Nidge . Any idea why they used the BTH pedestal controller,  did the very early D63xx have the same.

I presume that multi working used an air throttle like blue star

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Passing Ais Gill with Captain Kernow recording  proceedings.....

IMG_8261.jpg.f529e6dad5184a5eb317987a2ba4250d.jpg

And in the same sort of era, the new running in board at Midford. Dave at left (brilliant friend, creator of the running in board and much more), Jasper Cox, now big in military surplus, and Brian Clarke, of "Saltford Models" fame.

IMG_8262.jpg.89f5fc275be28db63ad71695880ab45b.jpg

Happy days, apart from the day job(!)

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Matt37268 said:

The Lion is facing the wrong way in that photo 🤫 BR only submitted a left hand facing lion for approval by the college of heraldry, and didn’t get permission for a right hand version. 

IMG_9022.jpeg

But it was several years before the right facing ones disappeared.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

But it was several years before the right facing ones disappeared.

John

I don’t disagree with that, I do find it a tad amusing though that ‘the new badge’ shown in the photo isn’t the one that was approved.  

• Like 3