The human side of the railway...

Jinty 47406 on a short van train potters past the 'massed orange ranks' at Woodhouses, CGR Winter Gala yesterday. Only managed a couple of hours at Loughborough but looked like a great event, well supported. I'll post a few images in the 'Preservation' section later. Andy

post-3043-0-76800700-1359283903_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Lovely shot there Andy.... me and the missus drove past the bridge you were on and saw how many cars were parked up on the road leading up to it, so we turned tail and spent the morning at Rothley at the top of the cutting instead!

• RMweb Gold

Not just clearing up, but clearing up after a train that shouldn't have even been there in the normal course of things!  I bet they were happy . . .

Worth heading to the Flickr page to read a description of the incident.

8139150172_563738be3f_z.jpg

We're off the road! by 70023venus2009, on Flickr

That shot reminds me of a DS&TE I worked for some years ago. On saloon tours he liked to go everywhere possible at the end of semi-derelict lines. One day at Donnington we went into the disused Granville Colliery branch. After about 100 yards we stopped and the driver came back to tell us that he wasn't going any further in because it was so overgrown he couldn't see the rails

• Like 3

Captions please!

He is an RMwebber with about three posts and good friend of mine, and appreciates most forms of humour

attachicon.gif153s.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

"Dom't dig there, dig it elsewhere. You're digging it round!, and it should've been square!"

With apologies and acknowledgements to Bernard Cribbins

• Like 4

Punters aplenty at 'ye olde Reading General' of the not so distant past....

attachicon.gifReading Station canopies b&w.jpg

Spooky - I think I was watching you taking this - there was someone taking pics today of the station in general (ha see what I did there ) - (about 1:30 ?? just before the 59 on the stone empties ??)

Ah, just realised your profession - you didn't bring in 4L32 per chance ?????

In which case that might be me sat on the 3rd bench from the left holding the Costa coffee cup - a large skinny gingerbread latte btw

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

I certainly didn't take it today... I've been sat here all day!

4L32 sounds like a Lawley Street or Eastleigh man's job, or possibly one of the Reading lads covering one of their's.... sadly I don't sign as far as Reading, Didcot is my current limit down that way ;-)

• Like 1

Nice view Mike - hooked off and waiting to move forward no doubt... oh to have been stood there beside you in those days with endless Spam Cans, Castles, Halls, Granges, Moguls, Pannier and Prairie Tanks, 9Fs, B17s, newly arrived Hydraulics and rarely a quiet moment in daylight hours.... you lucky, lucky swine!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice view Mike - hooked off and waiting to move forward no doubt... oh to have been stood there beside you in those days with endless Spam Cans, Castles, Halls, Granges, Moguls, Pannier and Prairie Tanks, 9Fs, B17s, newly arrived Hydraulics and rarely a quiet moment in daylight hours.... you lucky, lucky swine!

Not much good for B17s by then Nidge - but there was the weekly B1 of course, and those rather nice 'Duck Eights' off the Bletchley line.

• Like 1

Two from the lens of of Dave' Top Shunt' Partner, one of my colleagues at Bardon Hill...

Recently retired Rugby Driver Terry McCrannor, one of life's true characters and much missed on the footplate...

post-7638-0-21781200-1360946980.jpg

Dave 'Gridboy' Smith takes a well earned rest at Daw Mill, an ex-Rugby man but now at Bedford helping to keep our satallite depot earning it's keep... (note tea and biccies in attendance)

post-7638-0-89803300-1360947101.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9