Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

• RMweb Premium

Not a great photo, but it was my angle on the gala. I can comfortably say Taw Valley goes much better in black than it did in lilac - That being said it has had good deal of work on the valve gear over the winter and she was on top form. Why some dislike driving them is beyond me, all I know is its a privilege to be able to drive them and boy was it fun yesterday. 

What was great was to see the volunteer spirit alive and well over Friday and Saturday. When things went wrong or the weather was rubbish everyone pulled together doing their bit to help everyone else as the big dysfunctional family that we are.

If we could have a year like the weekend we have just had - as someone said back to as the railway was before 2019 then it would be amazing. 

If you travelled I hope you enjoyed it. If you rode behind TW yesterday afternoon or evening hope you enjoyed the run, we did. 

image.png.0ba28dbf2e27e254a0ad581469041977.png

image.png.9dc8b018633a7c2858acab869a555cd3.png

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

It's the last scene of The Box of Delights, too (you need a prairie tank, really).

Hi all

There are many fine views across the SVR and its stations, many too on other heritage lines and stations, however and I know I am biased when I say this, but standing on the road bridge at Arley, just soaking up the peaceful atmosphere of the village and valley, there is perhaps none finer?

I am greatly privileged to be just one member of a wide, fine bunch of volunteer and paid staff colleagues both at Arley and right across the SVR as a whole.

Here's to a successful 2023 operating season which seemingly got off to a fine start with the Spring Steam Gala, thanks to everyone who visited us and continue to support the SVR so brilliantly in many ways.

Regards always

Bob

Arley 141 miles from Paddington via Oxford...!

IMG_1022.JPG.f0bd062418c56421dc9adca672b0b38d.JPG

Edited by BobM
  • Like 18

I was there on Friday, crammed into the 0830 local next to the guard.

It's been a while since I travelled on the Valley, maybe 4 years,  and only really ventured out as an old school friend came down for the gala and it was a good opportunity for a meet up whilst enjoying our common hobby.

I think I went through the tunnel at Foley Park at least 8 times and despite the weather really enjoyed the day.The only loco we didn't get behind was the pannier.

I wasn't that bothered about the loco on the front, my friend was, so I let him plan our day. The opportunity to bob back on forth without waiting more than 30 minutes or so was the best bit for me.  We certainly changed trains a lot at Highley.

I met a couple of work colleagues quite by chance during the day and there was some good banter with the other passengers too. In fact everyone seemed to be having a fine old time

There was certainly a buzz about the place with the quite intensive timetable.

In fact I enjoyed myself so much, I'll be back for the Diesel Gala

Thanks to everyone at the SVR for a thoroughly enjoyable day out.

Andy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/04/2023 at 21:45, Ian Hargrave said:

And handsome is as handsome does ( I was on that train of Gresleys btw…say hello). Oh to hear the crisp sure footed bark of a Castle after a gap of 49 years is pure magic. Pendennis is the epitome of Swindon supremacy and plenty of that is in evidence.Well done SVR. Today went so well. Thanks to all . 

Well it was good to meet you in spirit if not in person Ian, as I too was on that 1610 ex Bridgnorth behind Pendennis. Lady Luck shined on me as I grabbed the second droplight of the second teak coach on the West side, and what a performance to behold! I didn’t withdraw my head into the coach for the full 90 minutes! 4079 attacking Eardington bank was very special. 

I had what I believe to be the best day at a UK Steam gala in at least a decade. Glorious spring sunshine, great atmosphere, charming stations, quality ales at the Railwayman’s Arms, and all the locos were on song, and I managed to cop all 8 across the day. My day started on the shuttle 1015 ex Bewdley behind 7714 and ended with the last train of the day behind 78018 on the 2210 ex Bridgnorth, and by time I set foot onto a near-deserted Bewdley platform at 2310, I had had a tremendous day. 

I only got home to Yorkshire on Sunday evening, so haven’t uploaded my SLR pictures yet. However, a brief selection from the iPhone can be found as follows…

7C7CC766-A3C2-4A04-BC6D-5CD20A491004.jpeg.4d2ef4be341948dbc48d0e7c1f1f5c45.jpegFED8076C-25D1-459B-A504-7ECFAA4283B0.jpeg.c769ebbd3ec1a38061b815736215125e.jpeg2F15F17B-3F78-464E-9D1A-3296BC0D8224.jpeg.3820249ba49df37cfb9291a2b2029078.jpeg

8F43FA51-823F-4DDD-A403-732E602CE4AC.jpeg.eae39ffc574803a8dcc70f90d46575e3.jpeg

CA303C24-F88A-4550-AC9D-BFABC5EF005E.jpeg.5befe889865a7e7c5cc872193ab09ed0.jpeg

2B65E694-6E1D-4C44-979D-332F448C7889.jpeg.f992f914a0074dd485bc0decfda72ff4.jpeg

I also had my first trip in the recently restored Collett bow-ended composite 6045. It was utterly splendid, though sadly not horsehair in the seats, even in my 1st class compartment…!

If the railway keeps serving up events of this calibre I’m sure it’ll be here well into the future. 

Cheers

CoY

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

@County of Yorkshire were you there Saturday?  If so, I was also on the 1015 shuttle ex-Kidderminster... Albeit we then went to Bridgnorth behind one of the standards.  Shuttle back to Hampton Load behind 4555, picked up 4079 to Bridgnorth.  4930 to Highley and then Taw Valley back from Highley (1601 or so)  to Kidderminster as small people with me were getting tired...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

@County of Yorkshire were you there Saturday?  If so, I was also on the 1015 shuttle ex-Kidderminster... Albeit we then went to Bridgnorth behind one of the standards.  Shuttle back to Hampton Load behind 4555, picked up 4079 to Bridgnorth.  4930 to Highley and then Taw Valley back from Highley (1601 or so)  to Kidderminster as small people with me were getting tired...

Yes indeed I was. Was that the 1015 shuttle off Bewdley, behind 7714? I was one of the sardines in the guards van of the LMS porthole brake! Somehow I was surrounded by cockney lads who were drinking bottles of ale like it was going out of fashion at 10 in the morning! 

Sounds like you had a good and busy day. The weather really made it for me. Did you get to sample the delights of the bow-ended composite on 4555’s shuttle? If so I bet you and your lads would’ve wished you could ride it all the way back to London! How has rail travel in this country gone so far backwards for style, opulence and comfort?! 

What I will say after the gala is that the GWR stars of the show have really given me a kick up the pants to regain my modelling mojo. Since moving house in late 2021 I can count on one hand how many days of modelling I’ve done. 

I may upload some more pics once I’ve done an image dump from the SLR… 

Cheers, 

Jon

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear about the crowds.

I saw various Watercress trains running over the weekend with single digit passengers (by which I mean numbers, not locals from the Alresford end)

Let's hope Pendennis brings in a few for the gala!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

You would have been standing next to me, then.  We got on at Bewdley.

I was second one in from the vestibule end  just about got a view out of the last window. 

The thought standing all the way to Highley was close to putting us off getting on, but that would have messed up our plans a bit. 

Luckily the trip seemed to fly by.

For some reason the trip north of Arley I find normally drags, but not on this occasion. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the timetable for the diesel gala next week has been published yet. 

I'm trying to plan my visit, but can't find any timetable info on line . 

I seem to get stuck in a loop on the website and end up back where I started with a nice picture of a Warship at Kidderminster with lots of info about pub opening and locos present,  but no timetable.

Of course it's entirely possible I'm being a bit dim in the IT department, so any pointers appreciated. 

Andy

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Does anyone know if the timetable for the diesel gala next week has been published yet. 

I'm trying to plan my visit, but can't find any timetable info on line . 

I seem to get stuck in a loop on the website and end up back where I started with a nice picture of a Warship at Kidderminster with lots of info about pub opening and locos present,  but no timetable.

Of course it's entirely possible I'm being a bit dim in the IT department, so any pointers appreciated. 

Andy

Your best bet is to keep an eye on the SVR forum or Facebook page … 

SVR forum

Or the Unofficial SVR group on Facebook .

Given that there is a continuous stream of motive power being announced it’s probably still work in progress…

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Your best bet is to keep an eye on the SVR forum or Facebook page … 

SVR forum

Or the Unofficial SVR group on Facebook .

Given that there is a continuous stream of motive power being announced it’s probably still work in progress…

Thanks for that.

The way it's going, they are going to need a bigger railway. 

I could pop in and ask, but work and other stuff is in the way. 

I'm hoping I'll have as much fun as I did on the steam gala and that my back will recover enough to last the day in time. 

Hence I  shall be a turn up and go  visitor as I can't guarantee being in a fit state on the day and I was also  looking for a suitable kick off departure that fits with a lift to the station from Mrs SM42 on her way to work 

At least they'll get a couple of extra pounds out of it  

Andy

• Like 1

The 58 isn't coming now but they probably had too much stuff to run on the same day anyway.

I like a diesel gala but prefer the old 50s/60s stuff.  Wouldn't mind seeing the Warship but it's my least favourite livery of anything they carried.  AIUI it's the "last in service" livery to mark the anniversary, so there is a reason for it.

On 11/05/2023 at 16:59, rogerzilla said:

The 58 isn't coming now but they probably had too much stuff to run on the same day anyway.

I like a diesel gala but prefer the old 50s/60s stuff.  Wouldn't mind seeing the Warship but it's my least favourite livery of anything they carried.  AIUI it's the "last in service" livery to mark the anniversary, so there is a reason for it.

You mean to tell me there are other liveries for diesels than all blue with yellow ends? Walking past the TMD most days for work, it is getting very difficult to tell which is which as most are in the same livery or its another Class 50.

9 hours ago, Bulleidnutter said:

You mean to tell me there are other liveries for diesels than all blue with yellow ends? Walking past the TMD most days for work, it is getting very difficult to tell which is which as most are in the same livery or its another Class 50.

It's as if the marketing department have looked at the age profile of their visitors and determined that they most remember the absolute nadir of BR in the 1970s and 1980s, HST excepted.

• Like 2

The individual groups decide on the liveries for their locos.  For Western Courier the WLA members had a vote and blue won. I think it will be good to see all the blue for now. I expect the next round of repaints will see something different.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/05/2023 at 16:55, Phil Bullock said:

@SM42 Here you go Andy … just dropped in! 

SVR diesel gala full timetable

Phil

My photos from a very busy and delayed Thursday. A nightmare for the management I'm sure but I have to say the ticketing and queuing were infinitely better than my last visit to a diesel gala there. I also appreciate many stands are manned by volunteers but the large number of gaps on the concourse at Kidderminster was a shame.

A "trespasser" early in the day caused disruption to both SVR and mainline. Loco failures were compounded by a lineside fire near Bewdley and I also heard reports of a medical incident on a train. The 1430 with 33108 (actually at about 1530) from Kidderminster also seemed to suffer a "false start" at Kidderminster with the starter returned to danger just as the loco moved off...

Click on the photo for the album..

SVR Diesel Gala 18 May 2023

Chris H

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

My photos from a very busy and delayed Thursday. A nightmare for the management I'm sure but I have to say the ticketing and queuing were infinitely better than my last visit to a diesel gala there. I also appreciate many stands are manned by volunteers but the large number of gaps on the concourse at Kidderminster was a shame.

A "trespasser" early in the day caused disruption to both SVR and mainline. Loco failures were compounded by a lineside fire near Bewdley and I also heard reports of a medical incident on a train. The 1430 with 33108 (actually at about 1530) from Kidderminster also seemed to suffer a "false start" at Kidderminster with the starter returned to danger just as the loco moved off...

Click on the photo for the album..

SVR Diesel Gala 18 May 2023

Chris H

It looks like a very busy weekend, with an impressive mix of locos.