Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

20 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

However Chris Price has been very clear the NYMR is having financial challenges and it effects the entire movement.  

I don't doubt they are, it's just curious that the GCR are investing their way out of difficulties -or is it that they recognise that their future prosperity sits firmly with completing the gap and maxing the length of the line, clearly any request for funds for any other purpose would likely doom the project or scare investors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I don't doubt they are, it's just curious that the GCR are investing their way out of difficulties -or is it that they recognise that their future prosperity sits firmly with completing the gap and maxing the length of the line, clearly any request for funds for any other purpose would likely doom the project or scare investors.

No idea is the honest answer.

3 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

You don't remember the Gerald Nabaro episode of 1970?

I was but a slip of a lad at the time. I was a working volunteer in 1970 and I remember he was a controversial character. I remember going to the big very heated meeting where there was a vote on how the SVR should be developed. Perhaps the older volunteers didn’t involve me in any controversy as I don’t remember the volunteers I was with saying much about Navarro.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I was but a slip of a lad at the time. I was a working volunteer in 1970 and I remember he was a controversial character. I remember going to the big very heated meeting where there was a vote on how the SVR should be developed. Perhaps the older volunteers didn’t involve me in any controversy as I don’t remember the volunteers I was with saying much about Navarro.

Certainly by the late 80s people were more forthcoming. Absolutely scandalous behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Chris M said:

I've been a regular visitor to the SVR since before it opened sometime as a volunteer but for the last few decades just an ordinary member and shareholder. Volunteers will often moan about the management but I have to say I have never heard or seen anything like the animosity towards Helen Smith ever before. Volunteers will tell complete strangers how bad the SVR was under Helen's management and that is unusual. On discussing the fact that Helen had moved on to manage St Michael's Mount one volunteer said "It will probably sink with her in charge". From all I have heard it seems Helen didn't really understand how a heritage railway works or the importance of appreciating everyone's efforts. I have heard many reports of Helen having no interest in volunteers or loco owning groups. 

It is perhaps all too easy criticising those who have left . Individuals rarely act solo though the actions or inactions of others empowered the decisions made . That said and despite many positives her departure is marked by the SVR being in a business sense in the worst place I have known it . The covid bounceback or as others who took one out call it , biteback loan is a major causal factor and the decision to take it out in hindsight was probably wrong . 

What is positive is the volunteers fabulously support the railway and from a lot of conversation have faith in the new the new general manager .  

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

In all aspects of life, is possible to do everything you believe to be right and just, but still fail, that is not a sign of personal weakness or a lack of correct judgement, it just a fact of life!

I am sure that with combined efforts of goodwill and the dedication from its volunteers/ staff/ shareholders and travelling supporters, with perhaps more than just a smidgin of good fortune, the SVR will undoubtedly prevail through this rough patch just as it has done previously when it has faced what were initially and potentially seen as insurmountable challenges.

Thanks for all the very sincere good wishes from you guys on here, from a now ageing SVR volunteer of 20 years at Arley.

Regards Bob

• Like 11

On 11/04/2023 at 09:49, rogerzilla said:

Weather looks rubbish for Friday but I don't think lineside fires will be the problem they were last April 😄

Yes it does. I'd planned to go then but now Saturday looks a better bet. Can anyone tell me which way Pendennis will be facing, & while I'm at it what about Hagley & Erlestoke?

TIA

Martin

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A great day at the SVR today …. 96 mikes behind Pendennis Castle.

C62D56FE-4A91-4DAD-A5E9-CA82813F33EE.jpeg.18709b8e701bac89dcfe84f6e2cfeec5.jpeg

There is a superb collection of steam locos for the gala starting tomorrow and much shunting was going on today to get stuff in the right place.

The Valley looked wonderful in spring sunshine … primroses and wood anemones aplenty with the station gardens looking lovely too … especially Arley. Butterflies out too …. Orange tip, Holly blue and tortoiseshell spotted

Theres a piece on ITV Midlands News tonight about the current state of affairs … they interviewed some pretty rough passengers… 😉

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We went today.  Weather wasn't good (cold and drizzly) but it meant bigger clouds of steam.  Only got to ride behind the WC, Manor, Flying Pig and small prairie, but saw the other three at some point.  Sad to see 2857 sitting in the rain, as it was my favourite home loco when in steam.

Favourite loco was the Manor, which has a real "bark" and a fantastic paint job.  Bonus points to Hampton Loade who had a (small) fire going in the waiting room.  That was much appreciated.  The museum cafe at Kidders was also very friendly.

It was very busy despite the rain, and there were a few things that could have been better organised, mainly vis-a-vis the catering.  Apparently Friday was being run with reduced facilities compared to the weekend, but SVR could have made a lot more money.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

It was very busy despite the rain, and there were a few things that could have been better organised, mainly vis-a-vis the catering.  Apparently Friday was being run with reduced facilities compared to the weekend, but SVR could have made a lot more money.

Putting  this into context the catering now totally relies on volunteers since the redundancies in February. If you take Bridgnorth as an example the cooks are both at least in their 60s and signed on before 7am and finished about 5pm. 

The weather yesterday afternoon was appalling the forecast is better today. 

If you are coming there are some changes to the timetable in the evening

• The 19.25 from Bridgnorth will now be worked by 34027 rather than 43106 and it will then come back on the back of the 21.25 from Kidderminster
  • The 20.40  from Bridgnorth will now be worked by 43106 rather than 4555 
  • The 21.25 from Bridgnorth will now be double headed by 4555 and 7714 (4555 lead engine)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I did think the redundancies might have left the catering service short-handed.  We were surprised the Engine House wasn't open until 45 mins after the first train arrived at Highley.  It was probably in the brochure but meant a few other people milling about in the rain hoping for a cup of tea.  The catering staff at Highley were very friendly but obviously rushed off their feet at lunchtime.

The first shuttle from Kidderminster to Highley (which isn't quite a shuttle, as it resumes its journey after getting out of the way for a southbound train) was absolutely heaving, with only two coaches.  The guard could barely get on.  I was waiting for those Japanese subway chaps with white gloves to appear, and shove the last people aboard!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, didcot said:

Cracking pictures Bob. Pendennis looks just as a Castle should, magnificent. 

And handsome is as handsome does ( I was on that train of Gresleys btw…say hello). Oh to hear the crisp sure footed bark of a Castle after a gap of 49 years is pure magic. Pendennis is the epitome of Swindon supremacy and plenty of that is in evidence.Well done SVR. Today went so well. Thanks to all . As a footnote,I travelled via Snow Hill which is where my last in service experience of Castles occurred on a Sunday evening in January 1964. A last minute substitution of I think 7023…though I could be wrong on this…for a diesel at Paddington…had me asking of the guard how I could manage my connection to West Bromwich as booked ,considering the Dudley railcar had left ..

He arranged to specially halt the Wolverhampton bound train for me there. I had the special privilege..it wouldn’t happen now…of a train stopping just for me…and then raising my arm to give the right away to the loco crew. I was the only one left on the platform. I treasure the experience.

• Like 9

My favourite steam locos are LMS types but I have to say it was fantastic to see the GWR types running on the SVR today. They just look so right out in the countryside in GWR green. The Castle, Hall and Manor all create great sound and the 45 looked cute. I also enjoyed seeing Taw Valley in her fictional wartime black; it somehow works on this loco. Had a great day yesterday on the SVR.

• Like 3

Took my sons yesterday and agree was busy but jovial.  Weather was pleasant without being too cool or too hot.  Quite GWR focused (a plus).  Enjoyed seeing 4079 and nice to contrast the different exhaust beats and different sizes of the gwr classes on show.  

hopefully a successful day for the SVR financially and I look forward to seeing Pendennis stretching her legs on other lines too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Does anyone else think there is something odd about the tankside lettering on 4566?  Was it a typeface only used for a certain period?  The "GREAT WESTERN" is usually more stretched horizontally.

I'm no expert but I suspect the lining and the garter crest are not authentic for a tank loco built in 1924. According to this http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesgarter.html the crest was used up until 1928 but was "rarely seen on tank engines"

Omitting the lining and crest would allow more space to expand the lettering.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

My mistake, it's 4555 that has the odd typeface, not 4566.  They're both at SVR! 

So what you're saying it, even when they don't look the same, all GWR stuff looks the same? 😂

I *knew* it!

In all seriousness though, I hope this is a massive earner for them.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2