Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

31 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Sample comment:
"The railwAy must think we are fools!! I am not fooled! This a blatant attempt to reinvent history and present a wrong image to the public.

THIS SO CALLED PRESERVATION RAILWAY KEEPS PROVIDING REASONS FOR ME NOT TO VISIT.

I Will take.My custom elsewhere, where history is correctly represented!"

Bless.

They walk amongst us...

• Agree 5

It does look like the SVR is struggling with it's finances. Maybe they are just being more open than other heritage lines or maybe they have more fixed costs. This is a shame. On the bright side there has been a long history of successful appeals on the SVR so if they totally ran out of cash and were facing closure it is quite probable that an appeal to its supporters would see it through. Cutting back on services will help to save cash but there is a risk it will reduce income as well. I accept that most of the general public want to be pulled by a steam loco but I think the SVR should make more of the diesel fleet based there and try to sell the importance of these diesels to the general public. After all many of them are now 60 years old and diesel hauled trains have almost completely disappeared from the big railway. Also those old diesels are wonderfully noisey! As a long standing member and visitor and as someone who volunteered on the railway back in the 1970s I hope this year is a good one for the SVR.

Under the old ceo the railway did seem to go for very premium pricing which may work well in London and the South but isn't a going to be as successful in the Midlands. My family used to go on the SVR Santa Specials but were priced out of it; we have been to the GWSR for the last two Christmases at about half the price and had a great experience. Likewise I love the idea of afternoon tea on a train but I really cannot bring myself to pay the SVR price for this. Instead I will almost certainly enjoy a cream tea on one of the south western heritage railways this summer. There is a danger that the SVR management has lost track with reality on their their pricing of specials. Maybe some lower priced specials, such as cream tea rather than afternoon tea, would put more bums on seats and therefore improve total revenue? Just my thoughts as an ordinary Midlander and supporter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, MarkC said:

They walk amongst us...

I can't help thinking that when you've got Bulleid Light Pacifics and Austerity tanks and 'Dutch' liveried Cromptons hauling Gresley teaks on GWR branch lines then the history falsification ship has already sailed, but clearly that lad knows better. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

25 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

I can't help thinking that when you've got Bulleid Light Pacifics and Austerity tanks and 'Dutch' liveried Cromptons hauling Gresley teaks on GWR branch lines then the history falsification ship has already sailed, but clearly that lad knows better. 

An expert, no less - "X" being an unknown quantity and a "spurt" being a drip under pressure...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, MarkC said:

An expert, no less - "X" being an unknown quantity and a "spurt" being a drip under pressure...

The version I heard (care of Blaster Bates) was 'Ex' = 'A has been' and 'Spurt' = 'A drip under pressure.'

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 1

One of the most wonderful moments I have had at Arley was just after Covid . I just happened to be there when one pannier tank with a short train passed another pannier tank with a short train going on the other direction. It just felt so right and fitted so well with Arley station. Idyllic, and such rare sight. 

Well ok on of the panniers was of course 1501 but you can’t have everything.

• Like 5

Hi

The SVR is indeed, akin to many, going through and faces many challenges. However difficult and painful these will undoubtedly be, especially for those paid staff whose livelihoods may be uncertain, knowing the railway as I do it will, with the support and affection of its staff, volunteers and long standing supporters weather this uncertain patch. Together is the only way forward, each heritage railway relies upon the collective strength of the movement.

Keep the faith!

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Sample comment:
"The railwAy must think we are fools!! I am not fooled! This a blatant attempt to reinvent history and present a wrong image to the public.

THIS SO CALLED PRESERVATION RAILWAY KEEPS PROVIDING REASONS FOR ME NOT TO VISIT.

Bless.

When the KWVR temporarily repainted its S160 in BR black it was announced that the livery would be retained for one week for every complaint received. It looked so good that quite a few people 'complained' on that basis.

That particular comment got far more "lols" than "likes".  I'm still not sure if it's a parody.

56 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

That particular comment got far more "lols" than "likes".  I'm still not sure if it's a parody.

I cannot speak with authority on this and I am sure there are many who can.

I am sorry but ,it saddens me when detrimental comments are made without facts.

I believe that Taw Valley is due for overhaul and as a stop gap, however incorrect the colour for its age, the loco has been for the interim painted the way it has to return it to service for the remainder of its ticket from the Jubilee Purple rather than a full expensive repaint for a very short period?

Please if others are aware of other reasons please let me know?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, BobM said:

Hi

The SVR is indeed, akin to many, going through and faces many challenges. However difficult and painful these will undoubtedly be, especially for those paid staff whose livelihoods may be uncertain, knowing the railway as I do it will, with the support and affection of its staff, volunteers and long standing supporters weather this uncertain patch. Together is the only way forward, each heritage railway relies upon the collective strength of the movement.

Keep the faith!

Regards always

Bob

As a spotty faced 14 year old I hitch hiked to be on the first public train out of Bridgnorth in 1970. Have done a bit of volunteering in the past but nothing too consistent.

I think this puts me in your long standing support cohort Bob …. I have seen the railway weather other managerial crises …. Nabarro, Draper… and structural/mechanical crises … the boiler crisis when 813 was the only usable loco, slips at Sterns several times , the Bridgnorth bypass bridge to name a few.

The diverse body of support you allude to has got the railway through all of these and more and like you I am sure it will do again.

To more casual supporters I would say … please use the railway, where else can you experience railway history …. Bewdley, Arley, Highley, Hampton Loade are all worth visiting in their own right for their atmosphere, whilst travelling in the best selection of running historical coaches in the country? I will be there on several occasions …. And will visit WSR too as 7812 is there for the summer. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BobM said:

I cannot speak with authority on this and I am sure there are many who can.

I am sorry but ,it saddens me when detrimental comments are made without facts.

I believe that Taw Valley is due for overhaul and as a stop gap, however incorrect the colour for its age, the loco has been for the interim painted the way it has to return it to service for the remainder of its ticket from the Jubilee Purple rather than a full expensive repaint for a very short period?

Please if others are aware of other reasons please let me know?

Regards always

Bob

Such is my understanding. The agreement with Buckingham Palace for the renaming was I believe time limited and in the present climate there would be little sense in painting the engine in the comparatively complex and thus expensive lined Brunswick green only to dismantle it a few months later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Such is my understanding. The agreement with Buckingham Palace for the renaming was I believe time limited and in the present climate there would be little sense in painting the engine in the comparatively complex and thus expensive lined Brunswick green only to dismantle it a few months later.

The livery was for the Jubilee which has now passed. Phil, the owner has paid for the repaint and as it is due to be withdrawn for an intermediate overhaul at the end of the year it would have been wasteful to put it back into full lined BR livery.  It will get people talking whatever. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

The livery was for the Jubilee which has now passed. Phil, the owner has paid for the repaint and as it is due to be withdrawn for an intermediate overhaul at the end of the year it would have been wasteful to put it back into full lined BR livery.  It will get people talking whatever. 

Rule 1  - its my loco and I'll paint it whatever colour I want.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 18/02/2023 at 07:35, papagolfjuliet said:

Sample comment:

I’m a bit late to the party here, but if history is being correctly represented, shouldn’t the steam engines be cut up to be replaced by other forms of traction? Any preserved railway is, by definition, a non-representative slice of history.

I for one will be doing my bit for the SVR as I’m lucky to live close enough to reach it fairly easily in about 90 minutes on public transport, and I enjoy going there a great deal. Until this year I’ve had a strict ‘no riding behind the diesels’ policy (although I admire how well they’ve been preserved) which I will now have to abandon, but I can’t say that that actually is a problem for me :)

I do question some of the decisions (not opening the railway this half term week seems a tad odd to me for instance) but the people running the railway have been doing it longer than me, so they almost certainly know something that I don’t :)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well, it's a Prairie rather than a King, as the final guest for the steam gala.  Still a pretty good line up.  We'll do Friday as usual.

A Bones for the diesel gala is definitely out-of-the-box thinking, although we'll probably do the GWSR diesel gala instead (SVR means an overnight stay, so not cheap).

Edited by rogerzilla
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The SVR finances are the reason I'm likely to retire to near the GWSR and volunteer there instead.  I love the SVR and will continue to visit, but I suspect they've overspent on big new infrastructure projects in the last few years, as well as having a suboptimal employee/volunteer mix.

3 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

The SVR finances are the reason I'm likely to retire to near the GWSR and volunteer there instead.  I love the SVR and will continue to visit, but I suspect they've overspent on big new infrastructure projects in the last few years, as well as having a suboptimal employee/volunteer mix.

Fair enough -  I’ll be heading in the opposite direction. 

• Like 1