Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Neal Ball said:

It looks like a very busy weekend, with an impressive mix of locos.

Even better from today - the Rail Adventure 43s have just turned up and 60062 is on the way from Toton - Thursday was my only chance to visit although I'd have preferred to have seen the 88 and 57.

However - given all the issues it was a good day anyway.

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Even better from today - the Rail Adventure 43s have just turned up and 60062 is on the way from Toton - Thursday was my only chance to visit although I'd have preferred to have seen the 88 and 57.

However - given all the issues it was a good day anyway.

Chris

Given the news generally about railway preservation is so….. demoralising…. It is good to see this so busy.

Obviously other railways are having various galas this year and generally they seem to be very well received.

• Like 1

For any that follow on the web cams. I usually keep the 6 cameras up to date via this useful website, so I can watch from afar.

Head here to view all 6 cameras on the same screen.

Severn Valley Railway 6 cameras

Just a note that several of the camaras frequently have to be rebooted which makes their youtube link defunked, and I then have to create another mashup. 

Edited by beaumoc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another good day bouncing around the SVR with a good friend for company. 

The ticket office seemed to work better than at the steam gala, but we were a lot earlier this time which may have made a difference.

As usual the timeable suffered as the day wore on, but at least the trains still ran in booked order, ( at least while we were there)

I can't help feeling the drivers on the DBSO set and HST were being over cautious,. I don't think we got above 10mph which may explain the slow drift of the timetable. 

We did call it a day with one planned round trip to Bewdley being abandoned due to late running but it didn't spoil a fine day out. 

Once again the SVR didn't disappoint and I'm getting to quite like these galas. 

Thanks to everybody involved 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Another good day bouncing around the SVR with a good friend for company. 

The ticket office seemed to work better than at the steam gala, but we were a lot earlier this time which may have made a difference.

As usual the timeable suffered as the day wore on, but at least the trains still ran in booked order, ( at least while we were there)

I can't help feeling the drivers on the DBSO set and HST were being over cautious,. I don't think we got above 10mph which may explain the slow drift of the timetable. 

We did call it a day with one planned round trip to Bewdley being abandoned due to late running but it didn't spoil a fine day out. 

Once again the SVR didn't disappoint and I'm getting to quit like these galas. 

Thanks to everybody involved 

Andy

Possibly unfamiliarity with the stock and braking distances? 

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Possibly unfamiliarity with the stock and braking distances? 

Indeed  but it was tortuous. 

I suspect that it was not local staff driving and a limited time to route learn. 

By far the most comfortable ride was on the local train,  Hardly noticed you were moving. 

The worst was a very bouncy Mk1. 

Was enough to induce seasickness even when stationary.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

Indeed  but it was tortuous. 

I suspect that it was not local staff driving and a limited time to route learn. 

By far the most comfortable ride was on the local train,  Hardly noticed you were moving. 

The worst was a very bouncy Mk1. 

Was enough to induce seasickness even when stationary.

Andy

Yes bet that’s right… there would be an SVR conductor.

2 GWR coaches behind the Clayton on the local? What a combination! 

Looks like a real scrum today! Great for the railway…

8 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Yes bet that’s right… there would be an SVR conductor.

2 GWR coaches behind the Clayton on the local? What a combination! 

Looks like a real scrum today! Great for the railway…

Best ride of all.

Plenty of thrash out of Bridgnorth and all well within  earshot and a surprisingly empty train. ( inside latches for opening the doors just like a DMU in the carriages too)

I expected it to be more popular, as did the other two we shared a compartment with

Andy

As I live relatively local to Bridgnorth SWMBO & I often visit the station pub on a weekend evening for a quiet drink.

I didn't know it was the Diesel Gala, so yesterday evening's drink wasn't as quiet as usual...!!!

First time I've seen a Clayton for real, great sound but the lack of fire & pyrotechnics was a bit disappointing & spoiled the authenticity... 🤣🤣🤣

Saw 40 106 come in, & the Warship & 20 depart - an interesting stop-go getaway as the Guards didn't seem to have released the coach hand brakes at first.🤦‍♂️

Also interesting evesdropping on someone explaining to his mates the coupling codes, & that a white diamond loco could not work with a blue star loco. Oops, except they did. Ok, not in true MU fashion, so only the vacuum bags were connected as well as the coupling, & each loco had a driver, but it's one for the naysayer 'experts' at an exhibition 😁

20230520_194637.jpg.99f6452fcc0618af0da0b7cf545d8848.jpg

20230520_202510.jpg.e0c89e6ba1053ddbedff38ce9aa80dff.jpg

20230520_202753.jpg.f12b58fef05c2e624915b58491e153a9.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

As I live relatively local to Bridgnorth SWMBO & I often visit the station pub on a weekend evening for a quiet drink.

I didn't know it was the Diesel Gala, so yesterday evening's drink wasn't as quiet as usual...!!!

First time I've seen a Clayton for real, great sound but the lack of fire & pyrotechnics was a bit disappointing & spoiled the authenticity... 🤣🤣🤣

Saw 40 106 come in, & the Warship & 20 depart - an interesting stop-go getaway as the Guards didn't seem to have released the coach hand brakes at first.🤦‍♂️

Also interesting evesdropping on someone explaining to his mates the coupling codes, & that a white diamond loco could not work with a blue star loco. Oops, except they did. Ok, not in true MU fashion, so only the vacuum bags were connected as well as the coupling, & each loco had a driver, but it's one for the naysayer 'experts' at an exhibition 😁

Cracking photo of Greyhound in the evening light… thanks for sharing

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Had an enjoyable day at the SVR yesterday. A wonderful line up of traction and an excellent timetable, even if it did slip.

I had a three hour journey up from the south coast so had booked in advance. It turned out that was no advantage at all as the queue for pre booked tickets stretched back across the mainline station car park when I got there at 8.40 and it took over half an hour to actually check in with the one person checking names off against a printed list ( so the QR code was pointless). Those turning up to pay on arrival on the other hand were just shepherded to one of three booking office windows and were in. Don't  think I'd pre book again.

That aside though, it was a splendid day. Particularly enjoyed the soundtrack from 37263 and travelling to Arley on the HST, despite the sedate pace, was quite special. The Scotrail set was very popular. I managed to get a seat on it from Highley to Kidderminster mid afternoon, but it was standing room only otherwise as people were getting on ready for the next run with 88004. I was tempted to stay on but decided, even in a first-class seat, it was just too packed for me.

Great event SVR, hope the railway made plenty of money out of the weekend.

Edited by PatC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

A Warship & a Chopper combo- possibly a first? If not, then certainly a rarity.

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cracking photo of Greyhound in the evening light… thanks for sharing

My wife commented on how many groups of young lads were there, late teens, early twenties. It was interesting as most of them would not have even been born when most of the diesels were on the main line, never mind ones like myself, too young to remember Warships in service. Nevertheless their interest was obvious, and to my mind bodes well for the future of Heritage lines, even if the focus shifts from steam more to diesel.

If that interest filters down into model railways, then the hobby's future is ok I reckon, and it's imminent demise - which has been predicted since before I was born - still a long way off..... 😁👍👍👏

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

My wife commented on how many groups of young lads were there, late teens, early twenties. It was interesting as most of them would not have even been born when most of the diesels were on the main line, never mind ones like myself, too young to remember Warships in service. Nevertheless their interest was obvious, and to my mind bodes well for the future of Heritage lines, even if the focus shifts from steam more to diesel.

If that interest filters down into model railways, then the hobby's future is ok I reckon, and it's imminent demise - which has been predicted since before I was born - still a long way off..... 😁👍👍👏

Thats good to hear. It feels as if … with both the steam and diesel galas … the railway has rediscovered the formula for a successful railway following the 3 - 4 years of Covid and a different management pathway…

Timetable slipped again today (by about 40 mins at 4.30pm) but some good stuff on show.  Highlight for me was seeing the class 88 coming through the cutting to Arley.  A really unique spectacle.

The other revelation was how well those ScotRail air-braked coaches rode the SVR track compared to BR Mk1 (or older) coaches.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ryde-on-time said:

Brilliant gala this weekend, can’t see it being beaten this year for sheer variety. Have mostly taken video but here are a couple of photos 

IMG_5570.jpeg.ff573ca1b7e460500a10279991737284.jpeg

A Western and HST side by side. 

Strange to think one type was just starting it's career as the other was ending theirs  nearly 50 years ago. 

I managed a couple of hours at Northwood Halt today enjoying the procession of trains going by. 

I hope the SVR had a profitable long weekend, because it was certainly  very enjoyable as a visitor 

(Gratuitous going away shot)

20230521_161845.jpg.2e199246ab7f2eb6643c0562bb516809.jpg

Best comment  heard  on Friday was someone complaining that the best photo ops could only be had by standing in the rain and it should be better organised. 

Hmmmmm!

Made me smile anyway. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, SM42 said:

Best comment  heard  on Friday was someone complaining that the best photo ops could only be had by standing in the rain and it should be better organised. 

Hmmmmm!

Made me smile anyway. 

Andy

There were lots of very "sad", thoughtless and rather unnecessary (even unbelievable) comments on FB over the 4 days about many aspects of the event which I personally thought was superb when I attended on Thursday.

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, SM42 said:

They walk amongst us...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 21/05/2023 at 09:08, F-UnitMad said:

All our brake vehicles have a dimbo valve installed which prevents full vacuum being created whilst the handbrake is still applied, reducing the risk of flats on the wheels. It emits air into the system which is also an audible "alarm". Unless both locos gave it an absolute bootfull of power, trying to move 7-8 coaches with only 10-15 inches created would prove to be difficult. 

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

Spent last Friday and Saturday at the Diesel Festival. Busy on Friday, very, very busy on Saturday:

Still very enjoyable though, despite delays.

Numbers were fantastic . Time keeping was sadly  not helped by lineside fires and also a potential attempted suicide. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Numbers were fantastic . Time keeping was sadly  not helped by lineside fires and also a potential attempted suicide. 

The attempted suicide was Thursday, so didn't affect me, as was the main lineside fire.