Jim s-w's road vehicles thread

Guest jim s-w

They are an etch Phil and yes I will make them available should people want them. I will look at an etch for the winbscreen surround while I am at it (theres a few tweaks from the test etch to do anyway.

Havent forgotten the red seats - Gotta do the sideways seats above the back wheel too.

Cheers

Jim

Aha. Found your pic of the etch on page 6 of this thread. Excellent stuff Jim. That'll be a couple of fleetlines' worth and a couple of VRs' worth for me then when you are ready.

Guest jim s-w

Fine work, Jim B) That B-Series tractor looks the business! It needs a Class IV mirror on the driver's side though (mounted below the main Class II mirror on the same arm; by the late '80s, the Class IV "wide-angle" mirror was mandatory). Most operators had also fitted an "idiot mirror" (kerbfinder mirror, mounted horizontally above the window on the passenger door) by the late '80s.

Hi Jim

If you have a look here D785 VFW - Volvo - Peter Nuttall Transport Ltd and look for other pictures in the set there are only a few lorries with the lower mirror. Most of them are not dated but there is a WMT fleetline so its definately in period.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi Chris

I will add some but finding decent pics of them from the right date is proving hard.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Sometimes you stumble across something that couldnt be better if you tried

Click

for 6 minutes of pure brummy road vehicle heaven. Even the year is bang on!

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

Sometimes you stumble across something that couldnt be better if you tried

Click

for 6 minutes of pure brummy road vehicle heaven. Even the year is bang on!

Cheers

Jim

Jim, that's awesome.

Seriously interesting and makes me feel hugely nostalgic, as the Volvos - roughly five being seen in the video - were my last local bus interest really. Ironic then that Metrobuses are the vast majority (including a couple of the Tracline 65 guided buses) and we mourn their final passing a week on Saturday blink.gif .

Only about half a dozen Fleetlines, on Lea Hall routes I think, a very interesting Leyland artic at 4.55, a couple of NBC green DMS (whose were they?), and one TWM, one Midland Red National. Fantastic!

Of course, it would be just as interesting if you stood there todaywink.gif

...watching all the low floor dross going past, with about half now being saloons.

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

Did you spot the post office one too? I was gonna repaint mine!

file.php?id=1778

I was also going to sell off the DMS but the green ones seem quite common judging from the vid.

Cheers

Jim

They do indeed seem relatively common, I've been obsessing about them for the last interlude, and it seems that the omnipresent Lady Wulfrun has captured some on film, albeit with Western National, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/664356614/in/pool-295055@N25/

Next to check if NBC swapped some about at the time of deregulation, and some worked in Brum still in green... That's my logic at this time. unsure.gif

Guest jim s-w

Indeed not Dave

Thanks for the info on the DMS - I do fancy a green one. The middle fleetine will soon be going on a long trip to ebay unless anyone on here wants it - It has no box though.

Been outside again. I wanted a pic of my fleetline now I have changed the windscreen

Cheers

Jim

jsw%20fleetline%20in%20sun.jpg

Indeed not Dave

Thanks for the info on the DMS - I do fancy a green one. The middle fleetine will soon be going on a long trip to ebay unless anyone on here wants it - It has no box though.

Been outside again. I wanted a pic of my fleetline now I have changed the windscreen

Cheers

Jim

jsw%20fleetline%20in%20sun.jpg

Hey Jim,

change it from a No. 12 to a No. 9 to Hasbury/Stourbridge, and I'd probaly been in it home from Tyseley TMD to home off Hagley Road, picking it up in either Corporation Street or Colmore row!

R

You've cracked it Jim. Spot on.

Looks like I need a visit to Ebay for a couple of Britbus fleetlines !!!

Briiliant stuff

That Mk1 Metro doesn't look bad apart from the bodyside windows. Reckon it needs flushglazing to eliminate that prism effect.

Watched that 6 minute clip - fantastic.

Kinda proves something I queried with you last year Jim - 8 leggers in town !!!

I was surprised at the overwhelming ratio of Metros to fleetlines even back then. The Metros certainly had a stranglehold by then.

Volvos - what can I say ?

Wonderful stuff and thanks for posting the link.

Guest jim s-w

LOL Phil

I thought that too the minute the 8 legger appeared - I wondered if you would have remembered.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

please excuse the quality of the picture, but ive been trying to recreate a typical early eighties bus advert, those of you in or around Brum may remember BRMB in their haydays....

Regards

Ringo

post-303-127922519356.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Hi Merfyn

My layout is set 86/87 so if you dont mind posting them on here that would be superb!

Many thanks

Jim

Hi Merfyn

My layout is set 86/87 so if you dont mind posting them on here that would be superb!

Many thanks

Jim

A bit too modern but may help

post-1625-127965446541_thumb.jpg

Outside Moor St station 10/88. Fleetline & Mk1 Transit.

post-1625-12796544897_thumb.jpg

Bus deregualtion started in October 1986 so the layout is in the early days. Early 89 and a Stevensons Olympian from Burton, too new (F reg.) Metrobus in silver livery 1984 model.

post-1625-127965450906_thumb.jpg

F reg. AA van too new but that Transit model introduced about 85. Ex Ribble Leopard coach with Midland Red North, from Tamworth I think. Not sure when that livery was introduced.

I have some more down back streets below the viaduct, they give some ideas of the types of vehicle about at the time. To follow soon.

Merfyn.

Jim,

please excuse the quality of the picture, but ive been trying to recreate a typical early eighties bus advert, those of you in or around Brum may remember BRMB in their heydays....

Regards

Ringo

You probably know this but Les has a breakfast show on a local radio station in Brum these days, but just can't remember which. Saw him at Stoneleigh earlier this year.

Dunno if he's kept any of his advertising piffle.

You probably know this but Les has a breakfast show on a local radio station in Brum these days, but just can't remember which. Saw him at Stoneleigh earlier this year.

Dunno if he's kept any of his advertising piffle.

From Wiki, which can probably be trusted on this one, this is Les' last gig to date.

On the 7th December 2009, Les Ross returned to the airwaves when he became the presenter of the Big City Breakfast Show on Birmingham's Big City Radio 89.1. He hosted his final show for the station on Friday 26 March 2010.

Guest jim s-w

Great stuff Merfyn.

The pavillions was finished then! Funny but I completely forgotten about those odd looking streetlamps but once I saw them in your pic...

The interiors of the fleetlines are now done - just gotta put them all back togehter!

fleetline%20interiors.jpg

Cheers

Jim

great work with the buses jim!

yet again you made me start painting more buses! ive repainted a brummy fleetline into a derby city transport one!

the decals are an old set of vynls I had made up years back so legals are way too big! but others are fine.

anyway took acouple of pics !

post-3432-127975911663.jpg

I hope these come out ok as been having issues with pic size! so have played about with them!

anyway jim once again thanks for inspiring me yet again to go and paint some more buses even though ive not got them finished yet! justthe same with our full size ones!! although we do have some done and on the road!!

cheers ian.

post-3432-127975917437.jpg

Jim,

sorry for not answering quicker but been in Switzerland,,,,,

The advert is freelance, but I remember some similar, but the mind does play tricks, the BRMB logo is however correct and took it from a web site about BRMB.

Cheers

R

Archived