Jim s-w's road vehicles thread

Guest jim s-w

More info on Motorway Model Kits. They did produce a Scammell Crusader 6x4 sleeper cab. I bought a pre production kit, all parts in a plastic bag and no instructions. was being sold at a Classic Commercial show at Yeovilton back in the late 80's early 90's. I also have somewhere an illustrated catalogue, (very basic).

That sounds like the same one I have, mine came from their stand (a paste table to be exact!) at an AEC Society rally at Nottingham in about 1988. I never did see it advertised anywhere and suspect the pre-production samples were the only ones they produced.

Hi jim not been around for a while but just got time to look at the transport thread! wow some cool stuff being done again by alot of people! so just thought id show you and the others an RM (routemaster) that ive finished this week! buy the way your trucks looking rahter good too!

just would like to get some time to do some foden haulmasters and put them in the old NCB livery!! they would look good on the layout!

anyway here`s the RM its an efe repaint.

cheers ian.

post-3432-127784859674.jpg

post-3432-127784862506_thumb.jpg

:D

That sounds like the same one I have, mine came from their stand (a paste table to be exact!) at an AEC Society rally at Nottingham in about 1988. I never did see it advertised anywhere and suspect the pre-production samples were the only ones they produced.

Found catalogue. Interesting prices!!!

post-9546-127801699828_thumb.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Thanks for the info chaps

Been painting!

ERF%20paint.jpg

Also never one to focus on one thing at a time I have been looking at the Oxford Diecast FX4 Taxi

taxi%20variation.jpg

I started of with a simple project to open the door on 1 so that I can (eventually) park it outside the entrance to the station. But as always I got a little distracted by the real thing. There are (I have found so far) 4 basic variants of the FX4 taxi.

The one Oxford do with the all silver bumper (on the right)

Silver bumpers with black plastic 'thingies' (middle)

Black plastic bumpers with extra indicators (left)

and Black plastic bumpers with extra indicators and a black radiator grill.

The oldest I have found of the one on the left is an E reg which means it would have been brand new on the layout. The final type came after and would be too new thus I havent done one! The Oxford one out of the box is a P reg so it should be this latter type.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Silver bumpers with black plastic 'thingies' (middle)

The 'thingies' are overriders, I guess a legacy of different manufacturers views on bumper heights. I remember them specifically from my original Corgi 007 DB5 as they popped out with the forward machine guns!

Excellent work, as evercool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

There's a bio on the ever-useful aronline site of the FX4/FL2. Apparently the black plastic over-riders date from 1979 when the tooling for the original metal ones wore out! The all-plastic bumpers came in November 1985 with the FX4S.

I think Oxford's chrome bumper is really too thick, closer to the black version in depth.

Nice shade of Orange on the ERF, Jim. Is it going to be BRS?

great work there on the ERF unit jim! ive dug out my old bedford kit over the last day or so been putting it back together hopefully make a start on some ta trucks! I also have the fuller version but this has got damged so currently looking for some spare wheels and another cab!

anyway took a quick wip pic its the JB kit which I now understand airfix have??

cheers ian.

post-3432-127811920811.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Nice shade of Orange on the ERF, Jim. Is it going to be BRS?

Hi Bernard

I have in mind to base it on this one

ERF B Series

without the branding.

I wonder what reason I can come up with for an army truck? Hmmmm

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Well,

The fleetlines have emerged from the paintshop. Still preferring the ex britbus.

jsw%20fleetlines%20paint.jpg

What follows is a before and after picture with my brummy fleetline alongside the Britbus Atlantean it started out as.

fleetline%20then%20and%20now.jpg

Cheers

Jim

The wide wings on the Military MK are about the same width as the twin-headlight KM, so that might be a use for the JB/Airfix cab, though obviously it would entail quite a bit of new build and a civilian set of wheels. Incidentally as originally tooled there was no grille so I produced an etched one (4-B2). It still has the edge over the moulded one.

great work there on the ERF unit jim! ive dug out my old bedford kit over the last day or so been putting it back together hopefully make a start on some ta trucks! I also have the fuller version but this has got damged so currently looking for some spare wheels and another cab!

anyway took a quick wip pic its the JB kit which I now understand airfix have??

cheers ian.

post-3432-127811920811.jpg

Ian,

Have a look at BW Models, Hillcrest, Kirk Brae,Cuminestown,Turriff,Aberdeenshire,AB53 5YZ. Mainly military models but they do lots of spares(including MK/MJ cabs and suitable wheels)and accessories (Atlas/Hiab, Bedford MK/MJ engine/gearbox unit,jerry cans,oil drums etc). They also do the standard cab and wheels that Bernard spoke of.

No connection, just a satisfied customer...

Also, I built my JB Army lorry without the canopy and put a flat back on, with the intention of adding guide wheels as on the Bruff...haven't got that far yet though!

Hope this helps

Steve

Deployment to the Handsworth riots mate wink.gif

Those two Fleetlines are exercising me now. They both look good, but as you say the ex-BritBus one's the more convincing, I concur. The poise and attack of the other may shade it though - perhaps the BritBus derivative squats too low.

Only pointers on the Brit I'd have would be the tracking of the rear wheels, inset a shade too much, and the hub arrangement of the fronts - standard pattern SELNEC, rather than the very austere wheels of WMPTE. The upper windows strike me as a tad too deep - more like an East Lancs Coventry Fleetline, but that may just be my perception.

All this is, as you know, meant as entirely constructive observation; from one who saw these things day in day out for 20-plus years!

Great work, Jim biggrin.gif

Guest jim s-w

Hi Chard

Of course buddy. A couple of things you have picked up on I am looking at anyway, I spent last night raising the suspension on the brit. Less than a mm but makes a difference. I have some Pirate leyland wheels at home I might have a fiddle as the wheels seem to change around.

See here

and compare to

nationa%202%20in%20progress%202.jpg

What do you think? (the wheels for 6710 need to be silver anyway).

The windows on the brit are 11mm tall while the ones on the kit are 9mm. I am inclined to thing both are wrong as neither measurement equates to anything that sensible. 10mm would be 2ft 6 which to me makes a bit more sense. Anyway I am planning to go the the Wythall museum tomorrow, hopefully they will have a fleetline i can measure.

If they are 10mm then I recon a half mm black line drawn on the window to represent the rubber beading and jobs a good un.

Cheers

Jim

Yes, those wheels are much better IMHO, and the window aperture blackening dodge is guaranteed to deliver pretty well every time.

Can't believe the pic of 6710 dates from 1992 (jaw drops in amazement), and that the Metro behind it is already in the livery that the last three NXWM survivors (2832, 2903, 2988) still wear today (okay, grey rather than silver, but still a very long-lived colour scheme!).

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

Have a look at BW Models, Hillcrest, Kirk Brae,Cuminestown,Turriff,Aberdeenshire,AB53 5YZ. Mainly military models but they do lots of spares(including MK/MJ cabs and suitable wheels)and accessories (Atlas/Hiab, Bedford MK/MJ engine/gearbox unit,jerry cans,oil drums etc). They also do the standard cab and wheels that Bernard spoke of.

No connection, just a satisfied customer...

Also, I built my JB Army lorry without the canopy and put a flat back on, with the intention of adding guide wheels as on the Bruff...haven't got that far yet though!

Hope this helps

Steve

There used to be a couple of pics of ex-army MK's converted to road-railers on the OTPweb website.

Just received Frank Waller's latest RTI list through, now listing a 1960s Dennis heavyweight cab along with a 1930s Austin K4/ K6 cab, similar to the Airfix emergency set. The ERF B Series hasn't appeared yet but there was a pre-production casting at Railex so it won't be far off.

Most alarming news is that he's discontinuing the archive list at the end of the year so the 50+ cabs on there will disappear. It seems the range is becoming unmanageable with so many on it, whilst I sympathise with him, it will be a great shame to see so many excellent models disappear from sale.

Guest jim s-w

Deployment to the Handsworth riots mate wink.gif

Those two Fleetlines are exercising me now. They both look good, but as you say the ex-BritBus one's the more convincing, I concur. The poise and attack of the other may shade it though - perhaps the BritBus derivative squats too low.

Hiya

Pic of the britbus one with new wheels (from Pirate models) and a slightly higher stance.

jsw%20fleetline%204.jpg

Been measuring a real one today. The windows are 2ft6 high so the Britbus ones are indeed 1mm to high. With the beading I reckon you are hard pushed to tell.

These need weathering and another coat of matt varnish before the windows go in for keeps but this pic shows the side windows test fitted. The ali frames are from the etch and the beading is done with a marker while the windows are away from the bus.

Cheers

Jim

Yes, that's pretty much clinching it Jim, very tidy indeed. Bloomin' hard to capture are our Standards, there are subtleties about them which you seem to be getting on top of convincingly now, excellent!

I'm still in shock over the demise of the MCW Metrobuses. Those MkIIs were brand new last time I looked, though now I think of it, that was about 1985... some of us almost started spotting them properly - the numbering system was so neat (started in the low 2000s IIRC, with the last 3 digits being the nos on the reg), and the buses so smart and shiny...

I'm still in shock over the demise of the MCW Metrobuses. Those MkIIs were brand new last time I looked, though now I think of it, that was about 1985... some of us almost started spotting them properly - the numbering system was so neat (started in the low 2000s IIRC, with the last 3 digits being the nos on the reg), and the buses so smart and shiny...

Birmingham's last Standards, built by Brummies for their city.

My snouts tell me that 2832 and 2988 worked the 885 schools this evening (then 11X and 37E possibly after), whilst third survivor 2903 was looking at a trip around the city on the 11A from Acocks Green after an Archbishop Ilsley run.

Agree with your observation on the Metros. For the record, series build was 2001-3124, taking in BOK-V to G-FJW plates, (excluding 3107 which was not accepted by TWM - it was the Friday afternoon bus that suffered from lack of interest during build: MCW was in the process of sale and the bus was loaned to Optare as part of the sale of Metro IPR, it later went to LT effectively as an ex-demonstrator). Add the five 6831-5 prototypes (SDA-S, WDA835T) and Rolls Royce-engined 7006/7 (BOM-V duo) to get to fleet size 1130.

1130, that is now just 3. sad.gif

Those wheels do help the model considerably. I don't particularly like the Britbus Wheels as the tyres seem too shallow (low-profile!) while the hubs are too large. As you have said, the beading around the windows seems to restore the proper aspect for them - nicely done, too. Of course, your finish and other work is superb, Jim.

smile.gif

Hi Chard

Theres a Mk1 undergoing restoration at BMMA

Cheers

Jim

The headlight and grille arrangement on the MkI always makes me think its designer basically copied that ubiquitous Lego brick with the printed details that was the front of all their small vehicles in the early seventies tongue.gif

Archived