Jim s-w's road vehicles thread

Guest jim s-w

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jim s-w

Hi all

For those that are interested a write up of my mk2 transits appears in this months rail express magazine

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd ask how the Talbot was coming along? It does seem that the basic Sierra has alot of "fat" which could be trimmed down to represent any number of 80s 5-door hatchbacks. I'm probably going out on a limb here but I'm considering giving a Rover SD1 a go from one(it'll be quite some diet that the Sierra undertakes!).

• 1 month later...
Guest jim s-w

Hi Morris

No progress on the Talbot for now - If you have a go at the Rover remember to post pics.

Finished the modernised mini (if you can call something about 30 years old modernised), its shown here compared with the original version

minis%20old%20and%20new.jpg

As an aside this is Halfords ford signal yellow which is supposedly a good match for Warning panel yellow - as you can see its no where near.

Cheers

Jim

Nice - the deleted door hinges and the larger light cluster really make the later model stand out from the MkI/II. I'm not sure when Minis had black bumpers & grilles as standard, but it really doesn't matter - people have been modding them, adding their own touches, since 1959!

people have been modding them, adding their own touches, since 1959!

Aaaahh, yes! 1959...the final year of production, by Ford, of the sit-up-and-beg Ford Popular [103E].....technologically-advanced Companies?? Only Ford could con the buying public into purchasing a car with 3 gears in the gearbox,, a sidevalve engine, pre-WW2 designed suspension and a body shape which even then could only be described as 'retro'.......when around the corner in the BMC showroom, one could purchase the Mini?

Aaaahh, yes! 1959...the final year of production, by Ford, of the sit-up-and-beg Ford Popular [103E].....technologically-advanced Companies?? Only Ford could con the buying public into purchasing a car with 3 gears in the gearbox,, a sidevalve engine, pre-WW2 designed suspension and a body shape which even then could only be described as 'retro'.......when around the corner in the BMC showroom, one could purchase the Mini?

But only BMC could make cars that each cost more to build than the retail price and not realise it for years!

I'm not sure when Minis had black bumpers & grilles as standard, but it really doesn't matter - people have been modding them, adding their own touches, since 1959!

I remember it appeared on models from about S plate on (1977) to fit in the with vogue for matt balck as opposed to chrome

• 1 month later...
Guest jim s-w

Now I am really asking for trouble - the VW beetle!

My friend had an 'oval' so i have attacked the oxford beetle.

bug.jpg

So far I have filed off the canvas roof, added a small bit of filler to the upper windscreen corners (the windscreens seemed rounder on the oval beetles) and filed off the indicators. the rear window was glued and filled and an oval cut into it (needs a bit more filler yet). Luckily the oxford beetle has the smaller tail lights as per my friends car.

Cheers

Jim

And by that time, the Citroen DS was also available - light years ahead.

You should have tried Australian cars! The bread-and-butter models from Ford, Chrysler and Holden retained three-on-the-tree (ie column-mounted levers) manual gearboxes on their base models until well into the 1970s.

• 2 weeks later...

According to my April 1958 Measham used car price guide, the VW Beetle wasn't introduced in the U.K. until July 1953 so, personal imports apart, the single-piece oval rear window would be the earliest version sold from new here. This was replaced by the first 'square' rear window in August 1957 when the front screen was also enlarged.

• 2 months later...

Black trim on Minis (Mk3) was introduced with the City E and limited-edition Sprite models, in 1978 if memory serves. The standard 1000 kept chrome trim (except for replacement of the chrome grille with a black version) until the MkIV makeover in 1984. That added front disc brakes (but still no servo... It now didn't dive left or right when the brakes were cold, but still required a good shove for anything other than mild retardation), 12" steel wheels with 145/70R12 tyres, (awful) plastic wheel covers and the standard fitment of the Sprite's black plastic wheelarch extensions due to a slightly wider track. The City models had black trim (including doorhandles, bumpers, boot handle and grille) relieved only by chrome headlamp trims, grille escutcheons and bonnet strip, framing the grille - they also had fixed rear quarterlights with no trim. Mayfair models had chrome bumpers and doorhandles plus chrome-trimmed hinged rear quarterlights, but kept the naff black pressed-steel grille.

Many 'limited edition' models, most built in quantity, over the next 20 years mixed and matched those trim parts, the chrome grille insert finally making a welcome return on the Mini 30 (1989) and Cooper (1990).

Special editions I can remember: Flame, Racing, Sky, Rose, Park Lane, 25, 30, Sprite, Neon... there are plenty more before the Mk4.5 kicked in and exploited the niche market like never before.

Mine were a Russet '77 850 and a Flame Red/white roof '92 Cooper SPI.

• 5 months later...

Sorry, I know this is 2 years after the initial postings on here - with regard to the Fleetlines of the Midland vintage... I happen to "find" one in the desert when I was working in Qatar 2 years ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9466000@N02/sets/72157626860376486/

I didnt realise the interest these photos would generate at the time - not being a bus enthusiast, I was just taking photos of something from "home".

The great thing is, apart from the Qatar ID plate, everything from the day it left the UK seems to still be stuck on it.... the blinds, warning stickers, etc.... 

Great thread, spent 3 hours of my life on this thread alone.

T

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this thread and thought you may be interested in a couple of trucks I have converted.

The Skip Lorry uses an “EFSI” H0 scale truck as the donor vehicle but I think it looks ok as an 00 gauge skip truck.

I worked entirely on photos from the internet and what looked right on compared with the truck cab.

The BR Emergency vehicle was made from plasticard and is again based on photos. A friend of mine owns the real truck so I may make another at some stage based on measurements.

The cab is a cut down Based Toys Leyland Road Train

I have been looking to make some trailers for freight containers and purchased some of the Oxford Die cast intermodal trailers, I always thought that they had too many wheels when compared with all the trailers I have seen carrying containers.

I  noticed the front two axles can be unscrewed and there is a hole underneath where you can screw the two halves together, I think they look much better. 

post-19340-0-49851500-1369737877_thumb.jpgpost-19340-0-04037400-1369737881_thumb.jpgpost-19340-0-41442300-1369737868_thumb.jpgpost-19340-0-08799900-1369737872_thumb.jpg

Those multi-wheel container trailers do exist- they're basically two trailers coupled together. The front one is a two-axle semi trailer, whilst the rear one is a three-axle drawbar one, the idea being that (if train length allowed), they could run with a 40' box on each, I believe. Most ones I've seen have had 2 x20' boxes on- the rear trailer can be dropped at one location, whilst the tractor and the other trailer deliver elsewhere.

Archived