The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The model(s) I was going to build in 2010.

Mallard60022

It's probably not so much a question of 'what am I going to build?' as 'what am I going to finish?'

I made a New Years resolution, not to buy any more wagon kits until I've worked my way through my stockpile of unbuilt and unfinished ones...

On a shelf above the PC at the moment, Parkside Vanwide, Palvan, BR Tube wagon, LMS Fish van and RCH 7-plank PO, Cambrian MR van and PO Acid tank, Chivers Ling and NE Loco Coal, and Cooper Craft GWR Mink and Cattle wagon, all in varying states of completion from three-quarters built to needing transfers...

I'm not starting anything new until all of those have turned a wheel on a layout for the first time...

...and I've got two exhibitions to go to this month, so we'll see how long that resolution about not buying any more lastswink.gif

• RMweb Premium

It's probably not so much a question of 'what am I going to build?' as 'what am I going to finish?'

I made a New Years resolution, not to buy any more wagon kits until I've worked my way through my stockpile of unbuilt and unfinished ones...

On a shelf above the PC at the moment, Parkside Vanwide, Palvan, BR Tube wagon, LMS Fish van and RCH 7-plank PO, Cambrian MR van and PO Acid tank, Chivers Ling and NE Loco Coal, and Cooper Craft GWR Mink and Cattle wagon, all in varying states of completion from three-quarters built to needing transfers...

I'm not starting anything new until all of those have turned a wheel on a layout for the first time...

...and I've got two exhibitions to go to this month, so we'll see how long that resolution about not buying any more lastswink.gif

Ah! 'What am I going to 'finish'? That's one more HUGE ball game . I dare not go to the loft store!:P

Sincerely, 36E

A little late to the party, but I loathe New Year's reoslutions :)

This year I promise to:

1) Complete the part-built High Level Models RSH tank engine that has been untouched for almost 2 years

2) Complete the part-built Neilson Piano Tank from the same stable

3) Complete the part-built Judith Edge BR 06 that has been waiting for me to exchange the jackshaft for the correct length one - a simple process of sending the one I have back and then waiting

4) Complete the part-built Mercian Models 16" Barclay (need to see which parts are not in the box)

5) Start a workbench blog to record progress

6) Not start anything else new until the above list is completed.

That should keep me busy for a while!

• RMweb Premium

A little late to the party, but I loathe New Year's reoslutions :)

This year I promise to:

1) Complete the part-built High Level Models RSH tank engine that has been untouched for almost 2 years

2) Complete the part-built Neilson Piano Tank from the same stable

3) Complete the part-built Judith Edge BR 06 that has been waiting for me to exchange the jackshaft for the correct length one - a simple process of sending the one I have back and then waiting

4) Complete the part-built Mercian Models 16" Barclay (need to see which parts are not in the box)

5) Start a workbench blog to record progress

6) Not start anything else new until the above list is completed.

That should keep me busy for a while!

Welcome! Love 'complete the part built' mantra. How many of those part built things have I got lurking in boxes?

By the way I've moved to the Kitbuilding thread now so you can keep an eye on my promises! I tried creating a Blog but could not work out how to add stuff!

If this tip is of any use I cleaned up my workbench on January 1st. Now I know you can't do that but you could do it on the 1st Feb!

Sincerely, 36E

• 7 months later...

Finish 20 or so coaches

14 thompsons

5 mk1 Sleepers and 1 BSO

Get W1

Finish DJH A2

Build DJH A2/2

New layout room is complete 16' 13' - build layout to match

Over half way through the year where are we at:

I've done reasonably well

9 Thompsons done

3Mk1 sleepers started, as is the BSO

W1 sold the finecast one and had an A4 converted

A2 still incomplete

A2/2 not started

New layout half the boards built and a very understanding wife.

• RMweb Gold

Top of the list for 2010 is the "Missing" BR Standard 2-8-2, some parts have been secured already and orders are ready to go off for most of the rest.

I am also building two DP1s, one a Dapol/A1/Bachmann and another a Craftsman/Lima one of which will be for sale at the end.

I also am toying with a quick and dirty 9F, I have an old Mk1 Evening Star in stock and the spare bodyshell from the Crosti conversion. Might do an Annesley numbered one and experiment with some weathering.

well, I've started the detailing of the body on the 2-8-2, we have a running chassis with sound, so it should be done by the end of the year.

The Deltics got finished and the Lima one sold to traction and the Evening Star got restored and sold to a regular who lives near work. I have just bought an interesting Hornby/Airfix hybrid from wiggoforgold though so the weathering excercise might be on again :lol: :lol:

• RMweb Premium

You rotters for bringing this back to life!!!!!!! However, well done you guys.

I own up to so far: building several simple plastic wagons and several versions of the good old Chivers Piggyon Van in EM; a Kirk Maunsell Brake (low window - just needs numbering etc.) in OO; several Comet Coaches(OO) for someone else, but only far enough to be ready for painting and detailing by them & about 75% of a DJH A1 in OO for me/a friend's layout.

The O1(EM) is still as it was in March! The Z is still in the loft (but I have shuffled its' box around a bit).

I have a load more coaches to get soldered for others before November along with a Comet Fowler 3500 gal tender for an 'original' Scot, so I think I'm not going to make my list!:blink:

Hey ho!

36E:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I promise to build (in 4mm): a jolly old wagon, probably; a good looking LNER O1 (in EM), maybe; the SR Z (in fine-scale OO) that has been lurking in the loft for too long - honest! :unsure:

Now then be honest with yourself, what do you promise to build?

(Whatever it may be may it be simplicity itself and give you many hours of entertainment).

Sincere best wishes to you all for Christmas and 2010,

from Mallard 60022.

Oh dear. Only about three weeks to go and I have not even got the box with the Z in it down from the loft!:blush:

The O1 is still as it was this time last year!:(

However :D I have built a few 'jolly old wagons' and three vans in EM (which I have actually painted - shock horror) + quite a few coaches of various ilks (unfinished [apologies to Coach] of course and unpainted and even some soldered coaches for other people).

Despite all this I am still going to make some 'promises' for next year's modelling but I may just keep these to myself as I can't take the shame.:unsureclear:

So, again to you all, sincere best wishes to you for Christmas and 2011.

Phil @ 36E

P.S I'd forgotten the DJH A1 - it's still on the window ledge, unfinished of course.

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

I would like to get my 317/1 finished along with my 310 and 2 312's in 2010. I also MUST get my DMU sides done and class 86 bits but my main goal for 2010 is to get this built.

palisades.jpg

palisades%20drawing.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Well, I got the 86 bits done but as for the rest i suppose the term is 'epic fail!'

Cheers

Jim

Guest Max Stafford

Well in relation to my resolution, both the Barclay and Jumbo are still odd collections of bits ans not an inch of track is down.

On the bright side, one of the coaches is nearly done though...!

I just checked my plan for 2010 and the reality.... two of my plans haven't got anywhere near the drawing board stage (nor will they ever if I go with my current plans!) and my proposal to build two of the airfix kits from my stash has failed completely and utterly. Oh well theres always 2011!

m0rris

finshing off my JLTRT 40, nearly there.

Steve Beattie Co-Bo, gonna be quite a bit of work in that.

L&Y dock tank, getting all the bits at the moment.

what Id love over the next year is a large steamer, debating at the moment over a 9f or black 5, or maybe an austin 7, it would be jumping in at the deep end but not too concerned.

if I do id only be getting one or maybe 2 locos next year and itd take me the year or so to complete hopefully, so thats why Im so indecisive :)

Mike

ashamadley I didnt get any more work on these done,

I did get loads of work, research and jobs finished on loads of other non railway modelling projects finished which I didnt think would be possible.

always something to look forward too :)

MIke

I will complete my DC Kits 105 before Bachmann release theirs (might have quite a bit of time to do that one!), then there's the 114 and the 120, not to mention the 119 acquired cheaply from a club sales stand, not my thing really but it was too good to turn down. And that's before I even get to freight stock, HTO x 5 and HTV x 6, the VVV train is almost there, just needs painting and then there's 40+ Airfix/ Dapol/ Parkside kits for MCOs and MCVs.....

It would be interesting to lock this thread after the first week in Jan and then revisit next Christmas!

The Cravens did make some progress but didn't get finished before the Bachmann appeared. It does have a Bachmann companion now. The 114 was started but was joined by a part built one which is now almost finished. 120 and 119 are untouched. The VVVs did get painted, still need lettering. The HTVs and HTOs are untouched although the first batch of five MCOs are progressing nicely, just brake gear and some paint to go on them.

On top of this, the only additional items appearing are an ERF B Series and a Volvo F88 tractor unit, both will await warmer weather in the spring before I wield a spray can on them, and a Bedford J type coal lorry just started.

• RMweb Premium

1) Finish my 00 shunty plank enough so I can play trains, not finished finished.

2) Design and build a P4 semi circle or full circle for the challenge depending on my calculations of width and radius. Detail planning has yet to start

The shunty plank evolved into my challenge entry which has its track stuck down and wired but not yet ballasted! The P4 dream remains a dream and as we don't expect to get any cash back from the builder until October 2011 will remain a dream into 2012.

Plans for 2010 - all I have done is drawn a line through the last zero to make it 2011. Oh and added a few more to the list for next year - I'm sure there will be more than 365 modelling days in next year, because this year seemed to be so short.

Any plans I had for 2010 certainly did not include the things actually built. The Gresley teak coaches turned out to be the unpredicted wild card aftering altering a Hornby coach as an experiment. The bug bit deep and I ended up with more Eastern Region coaches than London Midland!

So the only prediction for 2011 will be building baseboards once I'm considered fit.:)

Well the 47 got finished, and some of the pending box, and then I tidied the cupboards and had a grand clean up and the pending pile is now bigger rather than smaller even though I've not bought much this time.

And now I realise my 07 has been running with "wasp stripes pending" for a year...

Well I want to actually start a layout as Ive not built one in god knows how many years Ive wanted to do it :lol:

Im torn between building a mini layout based on Southampton Maritime TMD (and as most of my stock is stored in a garage somewhere in Basingstoke probably buried under stuff), then I can start afresh with stock (and try this new fangled DCC :lol: ) or build a cornish china clay layout, both are tempting :huh:

Archived