Heljan 7mm Wagons

Kev_Lewis

I didn't know the Soo had OAAs...  ;)

They don't :nono: .... but any time I do anything else apart from the Soo Line, I get a similar comment ;)

A chap is allowed more than one sphere of interest, y'know. I find it helps keep the modelling mojo going - being able to switch between things prevents you getting bogged down with one big, cumbersome project which may seem to have no end in sight.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

They don't :nono: .... but any time I do anything else apart from the Soo Line, I get a similar comment ;)

A chap is allowed more than one sphere of interest, y'know. I find it helps keep the modelling mojo going - being able to switch between things prevents you getting bogged down with one big, cumbersome project which may seem to have no end in sight.

Just pulling your leg - I have soooo many modeling interests I have no room to criticize!

Amen to that Jordan I know that feeling soooooo well :yes:  :derisive:  :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

I've purchased one of the Heljan waste oil tank wagons which is missing the air pump and pipework that were added to these wagons. Ex-Esso 3777 became ADB999074 - the same number given to Heljan tank - is now at the Northampton & Lamport Railway. Guess they used it as their prototype.

http://www.nlr.org.uk/about-nlr/stock-list/wagons/esso-tank-wagon-%E2%84%96-3777/

There is a picture of the pump end of the wagon that unfortunately does not really show too much detail.

http://www.adayout2.com/esso-tank-wagon-no3777-at-the-northampton-and-lamport-railway-1167-p.asp

I did contact the N&LR about obtaining a close photograph but they have never responded. Does anybody live near to the N&LR or will be visiting shortly who can photograph the pump in close-up and post a pic here?

Thanks in advance if anybody can help

Steve Young

Hi all,

Further to Steve Young's interesting Post....

In haste, as life has allowed little time for modelling, but its never far from my mind :) , with the Waste Fuel Oil tanks there is a script that states; 'Waste Fuel Oil Circuit' it then goes on to list place/depot names, such as; Immingham, Bradford et al. I wondered, if, eg in the WR, there would also be a local, specific 'Waste Fuel Oil Circuit', so one for each region? Or did most of this waste product end up going back up north?

I would like to add extra detail too and make the vehicle more appropriate for the WR, in terms of lettering and the like.

Sorry if this subject has been mentioned before - all a bit in haste. :derisive:

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I've purchased one of the Heljan waste oil tank wagons which is missing the air pump and pipework that were added to these wagons. Ex-Esso 3777 became ADB999074 - the same number given to Heljan tank - is now at the Northampton & Lamport Railway. Guess they used it as their prototype.

http://www.nlr.org.uk/about-nlr/stock-list/wagons/esso-tank-wagon-%E2%84%96-3777/

There is a picture of the pump end of the wagon that unfortunately does not really show too much detail.

http://www.adayout2.com/esso-tank-wagon-no3777-at-the-northampton-and-lamport-railway-1167-p.asp

I did contact the N&LR about obtaining a close photograph but they have never responded. Does anybody live near to the N&LR or will be visiting shortly who can photograph the pump in close-up and post a pic here?

Hi All

Found some more pics of ADB999074 on Andy Jupe's blog.

http://gingespotting.smugmug.com/DetailShots/Wagon/ZRW/

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

Hi All,

Found this photo of the basic livery details of a late ZRW - a nice study in/for weathering if nothing else*, this late version has no 'WF Oil Circuit' details present.

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/042155a

ATVB

CME

* I would say though that judging by the weathering, this vehicle looks to be the 'bleached' and washed out after being stored in a siding, unused(?), for some time, an in- use, in-service, vehicle, would, I imagine, have more spills and oil present and thus less rust? This bleaching, due, of course, to wind, rain and sun, can often bee seen on many types of railway vehicle when stored in sidings and less so on in-service vehicles which have been subjected to, depending on era, smoke, soot, oils and diesel clagg etc.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Anymore thoughts on the VAA van and OAAs. are they any good. 

Thanks Peter.

I got one of each & I like them. The VAA had the seemingly obligatory "broken off brake levers", & the bufferbeams were glued at a slight angle. It seems a little on the light side so I may add more weight.

Quality control on the OAA is better; despite asking on RMweb (no answers) I have no idea how the door chains should be fitted but they're a nice touch. The wheels with disc brake inserts are very nice.

Down sides? They come in HUGE boxes!!! If they were a bit cheaper (about £50..?) they'd feel like better value to me, but then I'm a.) a cheapskate, & b.) more used to US-outline O scale; lower prices & bigger models... ;)

Hi all,

Anymore thoughts on the VAA van and OAAs. are they any good. 

Thanks Peter.

I don't know about the OAA, but the VAA is a typical Heljan model, IMO. Overall it's OK, but with some niggles once you start really looking at. The chassis is missing some strengthening ribs and there are a couple where there shouldn't be any. The springs are too shallow - the front of the spring mounts should be roughly level with the bottom of the solebar and the front links should project beyond them. The roof profile is wrong, it's too steeply curved, so they are a bit higher than they should be.

There are also the bits that drop off, but they're quite easily glued back on.

On the plus side, they're quite easy to rewheel to S7, if that's your kind of thing. So, I suppose, overall they're not too bad for the money, they just need a little tweaking, if you're a bit of a detail obsessive :D

Edited by Pugsley
  • Like 1

My tank wagons run very smoothly but the buffer heights seem a little high compared to all my other wagons. The springing is farly hard once the wagon is on it's wheels and if the the springs are compressed by pushing down on the wagons, it sorts out the buffer heights. Just wondering if it's worth swapping the springs for something a little softer to let the axleboxes sit on or nearer to the stops?

JF

I got one of each & I like them. The VAA had the seemingly obligatory "broken off brake levers", & the bufferbeams were glued at a slight angle. It seems a little on the light side so I may add more weight.

Quality control on the OAA is better; despite asking on RMweb (no answers) I have no idea how the door chains should be fitted but they're a nice touch. The wheels with disc brake inserts are very nice.

Down sides? They come in HUGE boxes!!! If they were a bit cheaper (about £50..?) they'd feel like better value to me, but then I'm a.) a cheapskate, & b.) more used to US-outline O scale; lower prices & bigger models... ;)

Hi Jordan,

I agree, and about the boxes - for my Tank wagons - and whoever designed them must have had a PHd in packaging (I kid you not).

All mine seem okay, yet there are some vulnerable parts, such as the brake levers which may or may not last - those should have been in brass cant see that would have added much to the price (either brass or ABS plastic).

Interesting that the original price quoted for them was £69.00 in a mag from a year or so back, they retailed at £85ish?, of course, thankfully, many have been discounted.

I have had a quick look at them, against photos and drawings, and they seem very good, yet life is so hectic, that at the mo. it's a case of, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, then for the time being it will have to be a duck with some PHD bits added :mosking:  - and weathered accordingly when time permits. Have I lost sense of the fine-scale? No not really, they already look, as layout models, a 100 times better than Dapol's releases thus far - fingers crossed for the 08! Of course the MMP kit versions will be the the crème de la crème, yet time and energy eludes me at this time.

ATVB

CME

I don't know about the OAA, but the VAA is a typical Heljan model, IMO. Overall it's OK, but with some niggles once you start really looking at. The chassis is missing some strengthening ribs and there are a couple where there shouldn't be any. The springs are too shallow - the front of the spring mounts should be roughly level with the bottom of the solebar and the front links should project beyond them. The roof profile is wrong, it's too steeply curved, so they are a bit higher than they should be.

There are also the bits that drop off, but they're quite easily glued back on.

On the plus side, they're quite easy to rewheel to S7, if that's your kind of thing. So, I suppose, overall they're not too bad for the money, they just need a little tweaking, if you're a bit of a detail obsessive :D

Hi Pugsley,

I agree, I shall add some PHD bits to my Tank Wagons and Im itching to do more, yet track needs laying and getting something running is a priority, that and life getting in the way of model-making... :mosking:

ATVB

CME

My tank wagons run very smoothly but the buffer heights seem a little high compared to all my other wagons. The springing is farly hard once the wagon is on it's wheels and if the the springs are compressed by pushing down on the wagons, it sorts out the buffer heights. Just wondering if it's worth swapping the springs for something a little softer to let the axleboxes sit on or nearer to the stops?

JF

I have noted that too John, I have had little time to check if the buffer high difference is at all prototypical. Yet the springing on mine seems softish? If the springs were swapped over then perhaps that would sort out the buffer height issue? Looking at mine again, I see what you mean the chassis rides high off of the stops. Also looking closely - here we go :mosking:  :secret:  - the cosmetic springs look a little on the chunky side (I wonder if any of the RTR manufacturers ever compare their interpretations against any of the better kits ie the industry standard/best?), of course the chassis is die-cast so that may have an impact on the finesse of the cosmetic springs (die-cast was the way to go relative to the type of chassis IMHO), lets hope Heljan's die-cast lasts longer than some manufacturers' have!

Im gonna get me coat as Ive started looking at them closely now, too closely? :mosking:

As it happens my local Model Shop had a s/h David Parkins VAA (or similar) Van kit in at the time I got my HJ one. I wouldn't like to put the two next to each other ;) but at the same time, that kit model shows the one Achille's Heel of a kit... however good the kit itself is, it's still got to be built & painted properly.... :( I left that particular kit-built model in the shop.

Thanks Pugsley & F-Unitmad,

I have a Model Express kit of a VAA so I might just keep that and look at getting a Dogfish wagon when they are out. I am not in any hurry so the Heljan VAA  price might come down in time.

Cheers Peter. 

As it happens my local Model Shop had a s/h David Parkins VAA (or similar) Van kit in at the time I got my HJ one. I wouldn't like to put the two next to each other ;) but at the same time, that kit model shows the one Achille's Heel of a kit... however good the kit itself is, it's still got to be built & painted properly.... :( I left that particular kit-built model in the shop.

I agree. The MMP Tanks look superb, but would take me an age to build - one day maybe I would like to have a go - if commissioning someone to build the MMP version,Im guessing it would cost a pretty penny (and half of the fun is building it yourself), so the Heljan's will do as a stop-gap. As you say, side by side, if well built, painted and weathered, the MMP versions are superb.

Changing the springs/suspension would cause a fair few challenges not least altering the positioning of the brakes etc....so I shall leave well alone as they will run in a rake of their own. But looking at the prototype, as a previous poster mentioned, they are too well sprung, perhaps compensation would have been a better way to go? I also note that there are some gas/sink marks on some of the underframe mouldings which may stand out when weathered - so they will have to, carefully, be remedied before weathering.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just discovered what good quality the Heljan tank wagons are having bought one. I have 2 questions:-

1. The Esso early livery wagons are sold out - are Heljan going to make any more??

2. Does anybody have any views on the other companies versions?? Were there many around in the 1950/60's

Any help would be useful. Thanks

I have just discovered what good quality the Heljan tank wagons are having bought one. I have 2 questions:-

1. The Esso early livery wagons are sold out - are Heljan going to make any more??

2. Does anybody have any views on the other companies versions?? Were there many around in the 1950/60's

Any help would be useful. Thanks

Hi,

My understanding is that the 'branded' Esso Tanks are NLA from the factory.

In terms of your Q2 and the size of your layout, what region are you modelling may be a consideration.

Hope that helps.

ATVB

CME