Heljan 7mm Wagons

Kev_Lewis

The Lionheart ones are going to be different type of tank wagon to these.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I thought that Lionheart were doing A & B Tanks?

I am confused.com now - mind you that's not hard these days!

Thanks everyone for the extra info.

My next question is what type of Tanks (late 1960's and early 1970s) would deliver aviation fuel to RAF bases and indeed general purpose (road vehicles) fuel and oil too - my knowledge in this area is pretty weak and I have yet to delve into such?

Kindest,

CME

Lionheart are indeed doing A & B tanks but to the much earlier Air Ministry design (built as class A during WW2, some later converted to class B.). I think the Heljan ones are ealy- mid 60's build and replaced the Air Ministry type (amongst others), but don't quote me on that.

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 1

I was close!

They are slightly earlier than I thought Steve- I'll have to see if I can borrow one at some point to check clearances as they are just about OK for BT&S age- wise, and would make a nice contrast with something like the Ixion MW. Saving for the Lionheart ones for now as they are more suitable (and smaller!).

I think there may be differences in the discharging apparatus between class A & class B tanks (differing viscosities), but otherwise they are more or less the same design as Steve said- again, note the use of the word "think" here, I'm going from memory or when I looked into it some time ago. Not sure when the Air Ministry types disappeared but I suspect they may have been fairly uncommon by the early 70's.

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

Thanks again.

I know what I know - if you see what I mean, but fuel/oil Tanks are an unknown for me.

Quite nearby are the remnants of a old rail served fuel/oil dump so I might be able to use that as a point of reference(?)

I am speaking of the one near to Swindon (Purton?) which would have been rail served, but ever since I can remember - when I was first made aware of it - it was served by road. I think it may have been linked to RAF Lyneham, which, technically speaking, is no more.

Thanks.

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

class B tanks carried fuel oil and diesel and even pitch. the important point is the flash point of the liquid there were different regulations for the handling and loading. For a long time class A were not allowed bottom discharge due the the danger of leakage, More modern valves have now obviated this.  Class A were (after a very early free for all) required to be silver grey or stone colour to reduce evaporation and aid identification likewise the red stripe (but this was dispensed with in wartime)

Class B liquids are more dense, so usually the tanks are slightly smaller (part filled tanks are bad news) however since the thicker liquids (fuel oil, pitch) often required to be warm to achieve reasonable loading/unloading times the tanks were often insulated so looked the same size. the really thick tar & pitch had to have stem heating coils fitted as well. 

The converted air ministry tanks (Lionheart) may have just have had the max load upgraded. The air ministry tanks did not have vac brakes and there were rules about how the trains could be formed , usually one or more vans next to loco. The later tank as modelled by Heljan were higher capacity 20-22 tonnes and vac braked, These were themselves made obsolescent by later 35 40 45 ton air braked stock. Thus three distinct generations un braked, vac braked and air braked, that would not be mixed (in service). They also needed to match the loading unloading facilities.

Thanks Ian, I thought that Lionheart were doing A & B Tanks?

I am confused.com now - mind you that's not hard these days!

Thanks everyone for the extra info.

My next question is what type of Tanks (late 1960's and early 1970s) would deliver aviation fuel to RAF bases and indeed general purpose (road vehicles) fuel and oil too - my knowledge in this area is pretty weak and I have yet to delve into such?

Kindest,

CME

I suppose the B4's could be delivering aviation fuel and the Lionheart ministry tanks could be delivery lubricating oil of some description.

Chance to have a few of each then.

Hi

When I was a signalman at Llandarcy we used to send aviation fuel to Colnbrook for Heathrow, they were in grey BP tanks, we used to send tanks to Swindon as well,but, wether it included aviation fuel fore Lyneham I have no idea.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks - that's really useful.

What era are we speaking about in terms of your career at Llandarcy?

Any idea what type the tanks were?

Kindest,

CME

Re the latest VAA in Railfreight Red/Grey which I received one today - I see there is a black box on in the middle of the bodyside on one side only? It is not shown on Tower's photo but is on the Heljan.dk mock up photo. I presume it is supposed to represent the standard overhaul/inspection data(a poor representation). I have looked at loads of photos on Paul Bartlett's site and very few have this black box and certainly not where it has been added (on the odd few that have it - it is much lower). It is a shame this has been added - time to get the cotton bud/meths out to remove it from mine I think.

I also think they should have really not added the data panels/numbers (like their locos) as I now have to remove them all from my rake too as they obviously can't all have the same number!

Edited by deltic17

I also think they should have really not added the data panels/numbers (like their locos) as I now have to remove them all from my rake too as they obviously can't all have the same number!

That's the one thing I can't quite figure out about these wagons - they supply the locomotives with no numbers, but the wagons, which you're far more likely to buy in multiple, come with numbers applied!

Perhaps Heljan is a Danish company with an Irish background :D

Hi Pugsley,

the Class B tank wagons - (Esso & Regent anyway) are not numbered but the Departmental one - Waste Oil is numbered - ADB999074. My question is - what about the little valve that is fitted at one end of the tanks - why have they not modelled that? and has anybody any thoughts as to a source for them? Nice models though.

cheers

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar

I ended up going buying 3 whilst only going to buy flux. Bauxite OAA, civil link Dutch and the waste oil tank. With the waste oil tank what years did they stop being used?

On Paul Bartlett's site I found a shot of one at Gateshead in 1991 - there might be some later than this.

Hi Ian,

Thanks - that's really useful.

What era are we speaking about in terms of your career at Llandarcy?

Any idea what type the tanks were?

Kindest,

CME

Hi CME

I joined the railway as a signalman and my first box was Llandarcy in 1979, I was only there about 12 months before moving on to be relief signalman on the Central Wales line, the only ones I can remember with any certainty were the Colnbrook which were grey 100t's and the Aberthaw which were black lagged 100T's, most of the other trains we sent were usually composed of either 100T or 45T tanks, it was rare to send out trains of mixed tanks othere than the trip working with tanks for the shops.

Ian

Hi Pugsley,

the Class B tank wagons - (Esso & Regent anyway) are not numbered but the Departmental one - Waste Oil is numbered - ADB999074. My question is - what about the little valve that is fitted at one end of the tanks - why have they not modelled that? and has anybody any thoughts as to a source for them? Nice models though.

cheers

Mike

I think, Mike, that some parts maybe done by PHD?

Hi CME

I joined the railway as a signalman and my first box was Llandarcy in 1979, I was only there about 12 months before moving on to be relief signalman on the Central Wales line, the only ones I can remember with any certainty were the Colnbrook which were grey 100t's and the Aberthaw which were black lagged 100T's, most of the other trains we sent were usually composed of either 100T or 45T tanks, it was rare to send out trains of mixed tanks othere than the trip working with tanks for the shops.

Ian

Thanks Ian, that's very useful.

Hi Pugsley,

cheers

Mike

I didn't realise that - I was basing my observations on the vans and the opens.