Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

50 in a few months

MJI

I did something a bit different.

Mine was 2 months ago.

I bought the two sprogs a thank you card, for being great kids and enclosed £50 for each.

Then spent £50 on flowers for Mrs BR and going out for a meal.

Not everyones idea of a fifthieth burdy but it worked for me.

After all, I have got to the stage where I got just about all I want and its another birthday.

No big deal, its just a number (albeit I wish it was a smaller one lol!).

• RMweb Premium

On my 50th, my students made me lots of nice cards (supposedly to cheer me up) - and my 6th formers, being a bit more sensible - bought me bottles of wine.

Tried to play it low key - as Neil said, it's just a number. But be prepared for all your relatives and mates asking you "how do you feel", as if you've suddenly changed overnight! It did prompt a few, free, very nice meals though!

When I was a kid I thought that being 50 made you ancient. Maybe it does! Nothing you can do about it - get on with your life and enjoy it!!

Jeff

Mine's also coming soon (mid-September), but I've got to buy myself new slippers before then, or else there will a fatal slipper/stairs accident and I'll never see in my half century. As many have already said, it's just a number, don't get sucked into the tyranny of classifying everything by decades*, and nothing changes overnight.

*e.g. "I don't like 70s music" - what a difference between the start and end of that "decade"

One last thought - we've all got train sets, so we must still be kids really. [smiley face with tin hat on ducking and running for cover]

• RMweb Premium

Mine's also coming soon (mid-September), but I've got to buy myself new slippers before then, or else there will a fatal slipper/stairs accident and I'll never see in my half century. As many have already said, it's just a number, don't get sucked into the tyranny of classifying everything by decades*, and nothing changes overnight.

*e.g. "I don't like 70s music" - what a difference between the start and end of that "decade"

One last thought - we've all got train sets, so we must still be kids really. [smiley face with tin hat on ducking and running for cover]

You've hit the nail on the head there. The most important aspect is mental, not physical. People often ask how old I am, to which I invariably say 25. They look at me and say "never", to which I explain that, despite the exterior, inside I'm a youngster!!

When I was a kid, I remember my adult relatives - those over 50 - seemed to dress and behave as if they were well past their sell-by date. With all the fun available today there's no excuse to feel old or be miserable, whatever your age.

I have to be grateful, though...nobody has ever bought me the dreaded slippers - that's what I used to buy my grandad (I guess he was 50!!).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well I like online competative multiplayer gaming, I am not that good, but I do like winding up the kids I play against, hear the squeak I tell them they were owned by a 40something.

• RMweb Premium

I'm pushing 60 but still prefer rock music. After all, most of my favourite bands are probably older than me!

Interesting and very true point about our parents' fashion sense, Jeff. I well remember my late Dad in his tweed jacket and cords - he probably thought he cut quite a dash! At age 40, he'd never have been seen dead in what I'm wearing at age 59 - t-shirt and jeans!

• RMweb Gold

My lovely wife (had to try three wives before getting the lovely one) treated me to a weekend at the White Lion in Tenterden, lots of beer, nice meal at a Turkish Restaurant in the High Street, visits to KESR and Bodiam Castle, but the highlight being an evening on the KESR Wealden Pullman. I recommend it all (except my lovely wife - take your own!)

post-12721-0-97531400-1347392334.jpg

Plus I put this shot of the aforementioned lovely wife in the creative photography section:

http://www.rmweb.co....ttach_id=181532

• RMweb Premium

My lovely wife (had to try three wives before getting the lovely one) treated me to a weekend at the White Lion in Tenterden, lots of beer, nice meal at a Turkish Restaurant in the High Street, visits to KESR and Bodiam Castle, but the highlight being an evening on the KESR Wealden Pullman. I recommend it all (except my lovely wife - take your own!)

Plus I put this shot of the aforementioned lovely wife in the creative photography section:

http://www.rmweb.co....ttach_id=181532

Good grief Colin - you look so much more attractive in your avatar!! Only joking - I'm so ugly I hide behind the picture of a great physicist!

I'm pushing 60 but still prefer rock music. After all, most of my favourite bands are probably older than me!

Interesting and very true point about our parents' fashion sense, Jeff. I well remember my late Dad in his tweed jacket and cords - he probably thought he cut quite a dash! At age 40, he'd never have been seen dead in what I'm wearing at age 59 - t-shirt and jeans!

And to Colin number 2 ... you sound just like me. I'm 54 and my favourite rock band (Rush) are a few years older. But isn't that true of most of the quality music these days? As for the tweed jacket - I had one of those when I was 21. Maybe someone will buy me another when I hit the big 6-0.

Apologies if I've gone slightly off thread.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Good grief Colin - you look so much more attractive in your avatar!! Only joking - I'm so ugly I hide behind the picture of a great physicist!

Thanks chum - none taken :nono: - the fact is that the picture on the train was taken AFTER I became 50. Has nobody told you about the instant ageing effect of the actual event!!!

I like to think the avatar is a better picture of me (good lighting etc..) so try to focus on the wonderful surroundings of pullman car Barbara instead of the old git!!!!

Mine is in just under two years. I fancy a road trip across the U.S!

I work in education and I know I still have twice as much energy as the young people I work with!

However it is sobering to talk about the music of Jaws to11 year olds in my lessons and realise I was just eleven when it came out. (I teach music).

• RMweb Premium

A class 50 of course - in "Defiance" of approaching old age!

Defiance should be a 49th birthday present............

My 50th was Fearless, as I got a present that I can ride down very steep hills, very fast! (most of the time)

post-408-0-80996800-1347479488.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chum - none taken :nono: - the fact is that the picture on the train was taken AFTER I became 50. Has nobody told you about the instant ageing effect of the actual event!!!

I like to think the avatar is a better picture of me (good lighting etc..) so try to focus on the wonderful surroundings of pullman car Barbara instead of the old git!!!!

Colin, you may be right! I certainly noticed my eyesight deteriorated and my jowls drooped shortly after I was 50!

Maybe my loved ones should have paid for laser eye and plastic surgery as my 50th present? At least I didn't get the dreaded slippers!

Jeff

Archived