RMweb

3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

Thanks guys, far too kind.

I've finished the second pass on the Kirow design, and fixed the bug on the GRSM-R mast, and have ordered both. As long as the tolerances on the moving parts on the crane are okay, the only final thing to work on are the pivot points on the piston arms. I may have to look at splitting the area into multiple pieces as the FUD parts don't like 'snapping' into place - they snap! I may have to do a third pass on the bogies as well - I've narrowed them slightly so hopefully the axles sit better in the caps, and should sit lower under the chassis so the coupling is at the correct height. I need to see what the gap between bogie top and chassis looks like though, it may need cosmetically shrinking. 

David

Thanks Alan, I will try that.

While waiting for the second print to arrive, I've made a start on the runner wagons. Very finger in the wind approach here, as there aren't many clear photos of them, but they are basically 3 flats with various support equipment mounted on them - one with a portacabin, one to hold the counterbalance weights, and another to hold the super-extension boom.

David

post-6666-0-76040100-1369496110_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Looking at Youtube videos, it seems to run either with or without the window covers - probably depending on who is in charge that day!

I've got further with the wagons today - the basic flats are almost done, and I've started working on the various support equipment pieces that sit on them.

David

post-6666-0-49960000-1369601218_thumb.jpg

Will those containers be separate items for the buyer to glue on themselves?

I'm just wondering as they would seem like a good place to put a bit of weight to aid the running.

Also can you stop working so quickly I can't make enought money to buy your stuff!

Alistair

Hi Alistair - yes, the container cabins and all the other equipment will come separately, so adding weight wont be at all difficult.

As for speed - this is slow as I'm working from photos not plans. Now, if Plasser and Matisa come back to me with a positive to my request for drawings...

David

Further progress on the crane runner wagons now. I'm just waiting for some bogies to arrive from the NGS then I can add in the bogie pivots and finish the underside detail once I know my clearances. 

All the cabins, boxes and girders are separate items that will print individually.

David

post-6666-0-82253700-1369680941_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-11870300-1369680946_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-04947300-1369680950_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-35660100-1369680952_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Stumbled over this why googling images for my own kirow project! Awesome looking already, and I want all your other models too. Brilliant stuf!

Mine is still at the stage of doddles in notebooks and an autocad side on image of the whole thing. Might have to find a new project then........

Hi Alistair - yes, the container cabins and all the other equipment will come separately, so adding weight wont be at all difficult.

As for speed - this is slow as I'm working from photos not plans. Now, if Plasser and Matisa come back to me with a positive to my request for drawings...

David

I emailed a huge range of people asking for details on the crane but had no response :-(

Damian

Thanks Graham - frankly I don't know why Farish and Dapol haven't embraced 3D printing to be honest. All those aborted or limited demand items (like the Pendolino or those alternative MK3 coach roofs there's a thread on here about) are ideal for this. Simply upload those unused CAD plans and let people print them for themselves...

I do have a question for anyone who might want a TRT set though - there is a sort of robot runner thing that trundles along the whole length of the train on little rails along the side of the YXA sleeper wagons (there is a little fold-down joiner that completes the run from wagon to wagon). Would anyone be disappointed if the robot thing is fixed? It will be quite hard to get a system in place that allows it to run across the gap from each wagon.

David

Hello,

That was quick! Could you provide the crane (Am I right in thinking the full rake has several cranes along its length? 3 maybe?) as a separate component, as I plan to do with the LWRT crane, then it could be posed however you wanted?

Just an idea,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell