3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

Hi David,

What motor bogie would be needed for the crane and will there be space for a DCC decoder and speaker, it would be great to run it independently from the train loco.

Meanwhile back on planet Earth - great stuff, I would be happy with the crane being fixed, but then if someone was modelling a track possession scene...

Cheers,

Mark

Obvious places would be to fix a container on the runner and put the motor in there. I think however you ought to just about be able to get the Kato tram chassis motor and drive shafts into the area between the bogies. I'm not sure how you'd drive the axles from it though, or more importantly how you'd get any weight on it. At least with a runner you'd be able to stick a whole load of weight in the rest of the fixed container.

Rotating the crane looks easier as you can get miniature 1.5v pancake motors.

• RMweb Premium
And although its returned to Europe now, the Eurailscout DMU would be a very easy one to do, as it would happily sit on any standard 23m chassis like a 170 or 158.

Hi David,

Did this definitely go back to Europe?  I sure one coach coupled to the a 2/3 section blower/grinder thing in the engineers yard at Tonbridge yesterday - the photos I tried to take came out pretty badly:

SAM_0528_zps37df7337.jpg

SAM_0529_zpsa28d58d3.jpg

Also, I'm pretty sure I saw one of the grinders, but with only 1 of the sections, with a sort of flat car in place of the second grinder car at Paddock wood last week - but I'm not very up on 'yellow machines' so it might have been a different type...

Cheers

Simon

Looks like a Loram rail grinder to me, 5 vehicles long if my memory serves me right.

Loving the diversion into wagons David, conveniently the NGS do the right bogies too. A train of those would look ace behind a GB or Freightliner 66.

I'd suggest having a look at the buffers on the real thing though, they'll be either rectangular or Euro 'bread loaf' shape, rather than circular as you've modelled so far.

I'll keep an eye on progress,

jo

The second print of the crane has come back, but the quality is not really up to scratch, so I've got Shapeways investigating as it will need a reprint. There are all manner of weird textured lines and lumps of polymer and rough edges on it.

On the positive side though, the different parts are fitting together better now, but it does still need a few tweaks. The bogies still aren't right either, and rather than fiddle with what I've already got again, I've designed them again from scratch.

Hopefully once Shapeways get back to me tomorrow I can order what will, fingers crossed, be the final print of this.

The parts I have that are useable from today's print will be used for paint and decal tests.

David

post-6666-0-22543200-1370550036_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Back to the sleeper wagon now, and I've worked out how to let the robot crane thing run along the entire train length.

As on the prototype, the vertical 'bar' that sits upright on the opposite corner of each wagon also becomes the runner extension. On the model, this will pull out, then turn around and pop back in so it extends out to meet the runner rail on the adjacent wagon. I will need to print these and measure them when properly set up on the Y25 bogies to get the length right, but it should allow the robot to run from one end of the train to the other (as long as it is on straight track!)

David

post-6666-0-47817900-1370552947_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-60063500-1370553174_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-80732200-1370553258_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-14083200-1370552953_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This morning I've been working on the second wagon in the TRT, again purely from photographs. I found a close up of what seems to be an end to end measurement marking on the wagon which sates it is 24.4m long, so have started with that as a basis.

The wagon is hollow to cut down on material costs, and includes separately printed inserts for the generator and light fittings in either end.

Next step is to work on the robot crane that runs on top...

David

post-6666-0-85396000-1370607699_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-27680400-1370607706_thumb.jpg

Right, opinions on the (non robot) crane please! I've drawn this up as best I can from photos, and as you can see, it can be placed on any of the wagons. I have left gaps in the roof design for where mesh needs to go - simple brass mesh should do here, will have a look round to see what works best. 

David

post-6666-0-70941100-1370618076_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-01784800-1370618086_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-18321000-1370618089_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-52132900-1370618098_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-48363800-1370618105_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-47710300-1370618115_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hello David,

Very impressed again, just checked my photos and the flats you did first are 20m according to the sides and the actual TRT vehicled such as the power wagon are 24.54m (though I dont think you will notice the 14cm in N. Just to note the bogies aren't Y25's but are these http://www.garethbayer.co.uk/wotw/great-britain/details/ NACO Axle motion 2's

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Thanks, my guess on the flats came out just right then!

Those bogies aren't available in N, I think the options are fairly limited so either Y25 or Gloucester through the NGS. Which could be the best match?

David

ATM do Axle Motion bogies

Hi Mark, there's no space in the Kirow for a motor unfortunately, though if someone really wanted to fit one, I could upload a version where the upper body is fixed, which would give room inside (though you then couldn't turn it obviously).

David

Obvious places would be to fix a container on the runner and put the motor in there. I think however you ought to just about be able to get the Kato tram chassis motor and drive shafts into the area between the bogies. I'm not sure how you'd drive the axles from it though, or more importantly how you'd get any weight on it. At least with a runner you'd be able to stick a whole load of weight in the rest of the fixed container.

Rotating the crane looks easier as you can get miniature 1.5v pancake motors.

Only just had a chance to catch up with this, I hadn't expected my motorising/DCC sound comments to be taken seriously as they certainly were not intended that way! I can only think your replies were a good example of modelling willpower!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by pelhama

It's far too busy on the beach today, so I've been having an experiment with the dud print of the Kirow. If you can excuse the hideous painting (the surface is rough as a a badger's wotsit and I've not bothered masking to get neat lines either), I've been testing out sizes for the decals and window glazing.

David

post-6666-0-39631800-1370701001_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-74287300-1370701015_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-67071500-1370701029_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Well, now I know how rough a badger's wotsit is!  The question that I've got to ask (but don't really want the answer to) is: How did you find that out? :P

Huge admiration for your work by the way - not my period or subject but if I were then I'd be buying...