3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

Just had to go back to the start of your thread and have a good look.  This is stunning stuff and they say that there's nothing new under the sun, BUT!!!  This is the future of all modeling me thinks.  Unfortunately, for all of us old fuddy duddys who have no idea what CAD actually is we seem destined to shy away from this exciting new avenue.  It's obviously still cutting edge stuff and I'm assuming that eventually 3D printers will use better materials in order to combat the grainy finish at the moment?  Having said that, the finish on the maintenance vehicles is much better and they have the smooth look of RTR stuff - is this because the printers find curvier profiles more difficult to print?  That crane is just superb and should be on sale!

I have nothing but admiration for people who push the existing boundaries of modelling and my hat is off to you for that sir.  I'm just waiting for it to become more accessible to us old'uns who, for the moment, have to look on agog from the sidelines.

Keep up the good work.  

Mike

Hi Mike,

The difference is the material used on the pendolino and the crane.

The network rail units and the crane, use the quite expensive Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD) where as the pendolino uses the rather cheaper white, strong and flexible (WSF).

The WSF is used as a scratch building aid, rather than the FUD which is used as a 'finished model'.

Alistair

The Kirow runner wagons have arrived, but unfortunately damaged. Shapeways are doing a reprint of the wagons for me, but thankfully the boxes and girders were okay, so I have been experimenting painting and detailing these.

Damage aside, I have to say I am very pleased with these, the level of detail is excellent.

David

post-6666-0-35091000-1371059791_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-10712600-1371059814_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-66773800-1371059834_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-48879400-1371059852_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

After a bit of a delay, I have now finished the Kirow Runner Wagons, and have been testing them on Cross Street. They even just about go round my 9.5 inch curves (though to be safe I'm only recommending them for 11 inch minimum), and run very smoothly on the ATM bogies.

post-6666-0-62410000-1371660793_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-01144700-1371660837_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-55042000-1371660868_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-36803100-1371660923_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-94590400-1371660957_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

David has already said that the costs to print these in OO would be prohibitive. If you want a Harsco Switch and Crossing Grinder set then look at the link in my sig ;)

Hello,

I am not too sure that It would be prohibitive for some of the items anyway, OO means you can use cheaper materials such as WSF and Polyamide, meaning something like the Sleeper wagons that David has done for the TRT could probably be produced and retailed (i.e including a small designers mark up) for £20-25 (pre-postage), yes this may be expensive for a kit but it is relatively comparable to a R-T-R model. I base this conclusion on my current design project of a Perch which is similar in size to the Sleeper carrier) Vehicles such as the Tampers and the Rail Grinders would be more expensive, but I think it would be less than you might think, also flat sections can be replaced with plasticard sides which are far cheaper etc.

(Apologies for going off topic slightly),

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

In the words of Biff Tannen, well lookey what we have here...

A finished (almost) Kirow crane!

I need a final (final) pass on the bogies so the wheels sit better, but other than that, this is done and ready to go on sale. Once the revised bogies are back I will test this on Cross Street and work out a safe minimum radius. The mighty overhang from the crane boom will relegate it from all but the most generous curves I fear, but even as a static item in a yard this will look mighty impressive I think.

It's taken a long time to get this design finished but I'm very pleased with it, and will be adding it to my university entry portfolio for sure! The complexity here was not just making it look like the crane when I was only working from photographs, but then making it posable with all the extending boom arms and telescoping, swivelling pieces, then having to make it fit together as a kit of parts!

Hopefully this will prove popular when on display at the N Gauge Show!

Next deliveries from Shapeways are the first 5 wagons of the rather enormous Track Renewal Train...

David

post-6666-0-38715600-1372349904_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-42925300-1372349990_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-75687000-1372350048_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-40185200-1372350067_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-37921500-1372350089_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-62264200-1372350130_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-74639300-1372350174_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-70112700-1372350192_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-85413300-1372350234_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-66835800-1372350305_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-15742700-1372350339_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

A track renewal train?! Would that be one of the TRS systems? I'm working on TRS4 tonight and spending next week with TRS2 at Grantham and will certainly be interested in seeing that develop! Don't think I'll have room for the full 23+ wagons plus 2 66s tho! At half a kilometre long I'd struggle to fit it on Jedburgh!!!

PS I'm lucky enough to work with Kirows from time to time and the model looks fantastic!

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

That does looks absolutely superb.  Really looking forward to seeing it fully mounted on bogies/wheels.  Will you be able to test run and give an indication of minimum radius curves it can traverse?

Also, and sorry to nit-pick, but is one of the colour panels on the non-cab side the wrong way up?

cheers

Ben A.

David,

What bogies are needed for the support wagons and what wheel sets for the actual crane?

I remember you mentioning that it needed ATM bogies but I can't find what type I need to order.

Got to get them ready and in stock if it is going to be on the layout for the next exhibition we are at!

Also will you be doing a multiple pack for the whole train (crane and wagons)?

Cheers

Edited by alibuchan

Hi Alistair,

The crane comes with bogies (once the final final final design has been completed) and just needs Parkside 5.1mm wheels (4 axles on each bogie).

The runner wagons will need pairs of Y25 bogies.

I will see if there is any cost saving in a multi pack - I may struggle to get all the components within the maximum bounding box for printing, but if I can it usually drops about £5 off the price.

When's your show? I should have the entire range of planned designs fully tested and available for the N Gauge Show:

Kirow 1200 UK

Kirow Runner Wagons (set of 3)

Track Renewal Train Set A (set of 4 different wagons)

YXA Sleeper Wagons (set of 3) plus Sleeper loads (sets of 5)

GSM-R Mast/Cabin set

Harsco Rail Grinder (twin set)

Plasser 09-3X Tamper

Plasser UFM 160 (twin set)

I'm also preparing for some criticism once on show as they are all designed from photographs so won't be as accurate as some people would expect/like...

David

The show isn't until the middle of September but I am a really slow modeller!!!

I will have to put in some orders then!

Just waiting to see if I can get a cheap 158 so I can get your UFM160.

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

The crane comes with bogies (once the final final final design has been completed) and just needs Parkside 5.1mm wheels (4 axles on each bogie).

The runner wagons will need pairs of Y25 bogies.

I will see if there is any cost saving in a multi pack - I may struggle to get all the components within the maximum bounding box for printing, but if I can it usually drops about £5 off the price.

When's your show? I should have the entire range of planned designs fully tested and available for the N Gauge Show:

Kirow 1200 UK

Kirow Runner Wagons (set of 3)

Track Renewal Train Set A (set of 4 different wagons)

YXA Sleeper Wagons (set of 3) plus Sleeper loads (sets of 5)

GSM-R Mast/Cabin set

Harsco Rail Grinder (twin set)

Plasser 09-3X Tamper

Plasser UFM 160 (twin set)

I'm also preparing for some criticism once on show as they are all designed from photographs so won't be as accurate as some people would expect/like...

David

I hope that its framed as constructive advice rather than criticism seeing as you have got off your bum and done a serious service for a lot of us.

Quite.  I suggest that you print out a couple of slips with a web address for Sketchup on it.  Then you can always suggest to them that they are welcome to design a 'better' one if they want!

• Like 1

G'day David,

I am anew member who yesterday spent most of the day reading this thread, superb work on these models. Can I offer a suggestion for smoothing Shapeways models - ice cream sticks, tooth picks and balsa wood are good for burnishing the rough surface, a straight edge on the ice cream stick for flat surfaces and balsa wood where you have corrugations will often help polish off the excess powder without doing damage to detail.

You also mention in a recent post that you made the Plasser track machines from photographs, Plasser UK, US and AU have pdf side elevations of their machines along with outline dimensions on their websites that may help you.

Any chance of creating and selling some rescaled to 1/160 Plasser machines on Shapeways? Yours would be the only ones out there and would satisfy many elsewhere in the world.

Cheers,

Chris