3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

I have been away for a few days so have only just seen the progress you've made.

I think it's absolutely the right decision to redraw the rail grinder if it's not quite the right size.  In the past I have tried to make myself happy with something that I knew wasn't right.  I couldn't and in the end I had to start again and do it properly!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

The new prints have arrived, and I am now slightly paranoid about getting this greasy film off them, as I really can't afford to mess these ones up!

So far I have soaked and scrubbed them in warm soapy water, then scrubbed them with a toothbrush and white spirit, back to the water again, then a cotton bud with isopropyl alcohol, then back to the water again, and now rubbed dry.

The do seem a bit different now, a bit rougher to touch, so less filmy, and also the plastic is more cloudy in places, which I understand is a good thing as when properly clean they shouldn't be so transparent.

Well here they are, compared to the first, oversized print. I think another round with the white sprit and more soapy water and I will take the plunge and apply then primer...

David

post-6666-0-04589800-1361561864_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The do seem a bit different now, a bit rougher to touch, so less filmy, and also the plastic is more cloudy in places, which I understand is a good thing as when properly clean they shouldn't be so transparent

Hi David,

Assuming that these are FUD then that is correct. It sounds like you've prepared the surface well for the paint. I use a stiff paintbrush and eco washing up liquid (that doesn't contain lanolin) and that usually does the trick.

Glad to see you have re-drawn/printed these... always work to scale if you can! 

Guy

Hello David,

Your latest prints look very good and seem to have arrived very quickly, from my own experience of hand painting enamels onto FUD I haven't had much trouble except for the long paint drying times. However on hearing the price of your print I can understand why your being more careful than myself.

Keep up the good work (shame its the wrong scale for myself).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

I'm taking this very slowly now, as the yellow paint is still causing me grief. It seems to be that if there is a little patch of the support material gunk left, the primer goes on fine over it, but when the yellow paint tries to stick to the primer, over those patches it just refuses to take hold.

Having already had to strip one attempt back to bare plastic again, I am working on one shell at a time, so any mistakes don't carry onto both units.

Nevertheless, after much perseverance, I've got the paint looking reasonable on one unit, and have begun applying decals and details such as handrails, mirrors and horns. The underframe still needs painting black, and I've only attached one side window accetate so far, but I think this is going to look okay, despite my painting problems.

David

post-6666-0-27223200-1361731913_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-10806000-1361731941_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

A bit more detail on now - I've painted and detailed the buffer beam, added the front windows, horns, track lights, side steps, and added the black strip on the side. This is actually a thin strip of vinyl, as I didn't want to tempt fate in painting it on...

Excuse the slightly gluey nature of the front windows, this is from me trying to attach the windscreen wipers, which proved too fiddly for my hands. Solution? Draw them onto the window design before I print them on acetate for the other unit!

David

post-6666-0-14454000-1361739113_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-97240400-1361739139_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks Ben, the windows are no problem to print as well...which reminds me I must backup my laptop soon!

The handrails are actually cut from brass fencing I bought from BH Enterprises - it's that 1980s style fencing with the semicircles at the top, simply cut off.

I'm leaving the model to completely dry for 24 hours now then will spray varnish and see about attaching to the chassis. Then I can hopefully replicate this success on the other unit, then give it a test run.

David

Well here we are, the first completed unit, which has come out pretty well, and as long as I can get a similar paint finish on the other unit, the pair should look rather nice running round Cross Street.

I've added extra steps and the remaining decals, and mounted the bodyshell on the chassis - the fit is perfect and just clips into place without the need for any glue. I'm very pleased with the glazing acetate, a thin brush of plasticweld to the window surround, and then the OHP transparency just fixes nicely on top. It is so thin as to be effectively flush with the model, so I am going to make good use of this method in the future.

My plan is to make up the other unit later in the week, and then get the layout out for a test run.

Budget-wise, I'm going to do a design a month, so later in March I will be ordering the first print of the 09 tamper and its chassis. This is a big beast, and expensive, but I think I've got the hang of how to clean and paint FUD now, so I'm hoping to avoid any costly mistakes. After that a final print of the 07 tamper, and then I need to do a bit of research to decide what other modern items of rolling stock I could produce.

David

post-6666-0-16245500-1361802375_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-70325500-1361802329_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-19346300-1361802301_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-65607600-1361802404_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Can't quite see from the photos, but it looks like you've modelled 79275, if so you've picked the only car that is no longer with us - it burnt out in a fire in 2009, if you'd started with 265 then you would only have to do the one, it's stored at Eastleigh ;)