3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

You might find this page useful for the KUA: http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/kua/index.htm

I would treat the dimensions with caution given how many iterations he has been through, but it might help confirm some of your own workings.

Look forward to seeing your stuff over the weekend.

Cheers, Mike

Hi David

You might find this page useful for the KUA: http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/kua/index.htm

I would treat the dimensions with caution given how many iterations he has been through, but it might help confirm some of your own workings.

Look forward to seeing your stuff over the weekend.

Cheers, Mike

see message #560 & #561

Edited by andygif

Well the N Gauge Show is now safely over, and I'm blooming exhausted!

It was lovely to put names to faces to a lot of people off here, and to hear the feedback from what felt like many many hundreds of people who stopped by to look at the models.

What really surprised me was how 3D printing is perceived in the wider world - the most common response I got from people visiting my stand was a sort of dropped jaw look of incredulity. People were aware of 3D printing, but had no idea the quality of print had progressed to where it is. Most common words uttered were 'But I can't see the layers' and my favourite which was 'So which bits are 3D printed?'

It was also very encouraging to swap 3D printing stories with people, and the 3 chaps who repeatedly came back (one even came again on Sunday) to talk about how they could apply 3D printing to their own particular interests. It felt like showcasing the models really opened a lot of eyes to the possibilities the technology offers, which is brilliant.

I now have an impossibly large wish list of items people were suggesting (a Cowans Sheldon breakdown crane wil be next for sure!), and for some reason I now have a large German and Dutch following - they all seemed to get excited about anything in yellow, I have no idea why...

I've got a few personal projects to carry on with through the autumn (the IQA is ready to go in a few weeks, and the Pendolino upgrade is progressing well), but its nice to slow down a bit now. My aim in going to the show was to boost awareness of my designs with the idea of generating enough sales to cover the development costs I've put into them, so making this particular aspect of the hobbtyself funding. Thankfully that doesn't require big sales, nor do I expect them. Anything I make in excess will be pumped back into the hobby, developing further designs, or allow me to put some funds into building my next layout.

A rather touching note to finish on, one particularly shy gentlemen approached and said my models were the only reason he'd come to the show. I do hope he hadn't travelled far, but the sentiment was very much appreciated.

David

post-6666-0-27600800-1378666468_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Well done David and it is nice to virtually finally put a face to the name. You have come far in a short time and have shown that 3D is possible with determination. Shame I couldn't make TINGS but looks like you had a good time and the stand looks really smart. I am looking forward to the PendoProgress! Keep it up!

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Hello David,

It was good to meet you on Saturday and all your models are very impressive indeed.  I am certainly looking forward to ordering some!

I must admit, I was surprised just how good the latest printings are.

I also think you are right to take a mixed media approach - 3D printed parts are superb, but etched details are still best for some applications.

Here's a more close up shot of David's stand:

post-420-0-25380600-1378680423_thumb.jpg

And I am sure your Cowans Sheldon crane will be quite something!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

A rather touching note to finish on, one particularly shy gentlemen approached and said my models were the only reason he'd come to the show. I do hope he hadn't travelled far, but the sentiment was very much appreciated.

David

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't make it (a domestic disaster) but you were the only reason I was coming too. I rather feel you underestimate the appeal and value we place on your efforts.......

Damian

Dutch following - they all seemed to get excited about anything in yellow, I have no idea why...[/url]

Ha ha, we have the yellow long train as well.

I'm really sure the dutchies would love to have one in N :)

People were aware of 3D printing, but had no idea the quality of print had progressed to where it is. Most common words uttered were 'But I can't see the layers' and my favourite which was 'So which bits are 3D printed?

This is awesome, right!

Before I started working for Shapeways I used to go to an event once a month and had the same thing, people couldn't believe that it was 3d printed.

Note: I went to events when FUD wasn't available yet, so WSF was their only option and that already amazed them as you were able to print things that haven't been made yet.

The last few events I went included FUD models, that amazed them even more.

My models weren't painted, so I'm sure your painted models gave them an even more amazed feeling.

Best feeling: people expect that that quality isn't really high (pictures don't work well enough), once they see it in real life, they are stunned.

Can't wait to see more of your work! :senile: 

This afternoon I've been umming and ahhing over the frosted detail print of the Pendolino coach. It is far better than the WSF version, but does have a lot of horizontal banding on it, so I'm not sure how much better it is considering it is twice the cost.

post-6666-0-93361000-1378740370_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-73914000-1378740388_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-44812100-1378740404_thumb.jpg

I will learn advanced finishing skills during my degree, so would hopefully be able to get it completely smooth, but if this is for sale, it has to be achievable for those without that kind of knowledge.

The price differences are huge - WSF is £10, FD £20 and FUD £30. I don't think the jump to FUD would be worth the extra £10, but I am wondering if the jump from WSF is FD is either. Does this print look worth twice the older one? It is obviously much better but is it better enough?

I might try seeing what I can do to smooth out WSF as well, and of course I could offer the sets in different materials so those who don't mind the rough WSF finish can get one without having to stretch to the FD version.

Some thinking on this needed...

David

• Like 1

As there really isn't any surface detail I agree with your assessment that it would be best to find a way of smoothing out the WSF.  Perhaps a coat of a filler/primer such as used for car bodywork might help.   You could even try something outrageous like running a small squeegee wetted with thinners along the sides before the primer is dry!

Edited by Rabs

Polished WSF is a bit variable but it's what I use for things like coach roofs. It usually comes out better than FD.

You can polish 3d prints a couple of ways yourself depending upon the material - airbrushing with acetone (while wearing appropriate safety gear, with good ventilation and I wouldn't advise smoking on the job), or abrasively with a rock polisher being two - but for WSF that has its own problems including the amazing quantities of dust it produces and the time taken. Another one you don't want to do without safety gear.

I leave it to Shapeways to polish mine, saves beer drinking time.

Alan

klear is a good idea, will try that later.

Shapeways seem to have different design guidelines for polished WSF, the Pendolino won't let me select that to print in. I may look into that and see if its as simple as needing to thicken the walls. If so, altering the design to allow it to print in that might be a good option.

I think definitely though making it available in a variety of materials is the way forward, or alternatively, as the 390 is going to be a very niche seller, and very expensive, once I've got a good finishing solution, I might just offer the set as 'ready to motorise' - surface finished, painted, decaled and vinyled.

David

• Like 1

Not entirely - it seems their bounding box code is buggy - if you pack them at an angle with other shorter stuff to form a square thats under 150mm it works fine - but their web site and tools are either too daft to or intentionally make it hard to do this.

I've printed polished 26m 1:160 stock this way :danced:

Not entirely - it seems their bounding box code is buggy - if you pack them at an angle with other shorter stuff to form a square thats under 150mm it works fine - but their web site and tools are either too daft to or intentionally make it hard to do this.

I've printed polished 26m 1:160 stock this way :danced:

Genius! Thanks Alan, at 45 degrees it now lets me select polished. Test coach ordered, can't wait to see how it turns out.

David

as the 390 is going to be a very niche seller, and very expensive, once I've got a good finishing solution, I might just offer the set as 'ready to motorise' - surface finished, painted, decaled and vinyled.

David

I think that would probably be the best way to do the pendolino, the gent who was with me at the show was only put off as he doesn't have the patience to do all of the work for it I'm sure he would buy one if you did it that way.

Was very good to meet you on Saturday and just seeing the nuke wagons made me want to order 2 on the spot!!!!

Alistair

I had a spare couple of hours this afternoon, so started work on the next CAD project. I am likely to build up a few designs before I have funds to test print any of them, but this one is quite easy given the simple shape (and a handy scale side drawing from the manufacturer available online)...

Any guesses anyone? :)

David

post-6666-0-57639700-1379081253_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-75154200-1379081264_thumb.jpg

• Like 1