3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

Another hour's work, and I think this is pretty much done now, unless anyone can spot any improvements?

The bodies are all in one, so won't tip as the Dapol one does (not sure anyone would use this anyway?). I've modelled the later Romanian built ones - as far as I am aware the only difference to the older Railtrack ones are the side flaps? If so, I can easily produce both versions. 

I've made the guard rail doors separate prints on this, just because by nature of the minimum thicknesses, they look hideously chunky. A nice etch or laser cut version would improve things greatly, but I will include printed ones for anyone who is happy with those.

There's a lot of plastic in this model, so I will see what the print costs are like and will then try to cost engineer it by thinning down where possible.

A nice quick afternoon project!

David

post-6666-0-51992300-1379095290_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-56886900-1379095284_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-00864400-1379095277_thumb.jpg

You really work too quickly!!!!! And they look really really good aswell! Very impressed!

Glad that you have made it so that the don't tip as it was the one thing that really annoyed me with the 00 ones as they would come off if they went derailed and if you were running with removeable ballast loads they would fall out.

Hopefully these wont be released for a while so that I can catch up and buy the runner wagons and the nukes before these.

Alistair

May take a while before I test print - this set is going to cost near enough £150 :S

On the exciting side though, the at first very consfusing new Shapways upload page is actually superb I have decided. You can zoom in and around your model to actually check it has uploaded correctly at last!!!

post-6666-0-07918300-1379099051_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-07474500-1379099055_thumb.jpg

Far far better, a massive improvement, so thank you Shapeways!

David

• Like 1

Ooh, this could be interesting - I was just updating an STL file on Shapeways (to use their new whizzy preview image function you have to upload directly again - doesnt seem to work on existing files), when I got email notification that someone had just ordered said item.

I am waiting for the auto email from Shapeways saying purchase cannot be printed...due to half the file not being there I would imagine! I can forsee one of those 'when 3D printing goes wrong' type photos...

Apologies to customer..whoever they are!

David

Aha! Hi Mark,

No, it will reject the order. If so all you need to do us reorder and apply the credit in the checkout. It was bizarre, the screen was showing the upload box literally as the order arrived.

I'm keeping an eye on it, but I'm expecting rejection email tomorrow. Already emailed Shapeways about it.

David

You have very interesting topic! Hopefully my writing is not off topic (this model is in H0 scale) - but maybe someone will get new information.

We have produced Finnish small series kits using the German made printer named EnvisionTec for making master. For example by using this printer you are able to draw rivets in 0,15 mm diameter, but in my opinion 0,2 mm works better. Typically many resin casting companies own nowadays high quality printers like EnvisionTec. I think they do not sell only 3D-printing services, but when you are making small series kits their services are quite economic (they would like to get mainly your casting work, 3D-printing is only the service for get this:)). I have also heard that EnvisionTec printers are able to print direct the silicon rubber molds so master parts are not needed any moere. By this way the job will be cheaper. I have not tested this way but maybe I will.

Petri

Helsinki, Finland

b2xb.jpg

This is the ready made body made in resin. As you are able to see there are cavities for hatches and grills that are made by etching. In some cases etched parts are still better looking than printed.

sl6n.jpg

Typically the run of 50 pcs is the minimum amount by this way. The run of 100 pcs is about 30 percent cheaper per one body.

63st.jpg

This is the ready locomotive modell in H0 scale. The prototype (Litt Sv11) comes from the beginning of 1950´s. That was the first bigger Finnish made diesel locomotive mady by VALMET (= The Finnish Aircraft Industries).

t8th.jpg

slyr.jpg

y469.jpg

... and here you are able to see how it works.

Edited by Petri Sallinen
  • Like 7

Aha! Hi Mark,

No, it will reject the order. If so all you need to do us reorder and apply the credit in the checkout. It was bizarre, the screen was showing the upload box literally as the order arrived.

I'm keeping an eye on it, but I'm expecting rejection email tomorrow. Already emailed Shapeways about it.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for the email and reorder accordingly.

All the best,

Mark

A couple of hours this evening (actually exactly two looking at the clock), and the next item in the 'design bank' is nearly finished. I am hesitant to give this a name though as my research online has told me this is both the IWA and the IWB wagon...anyone know for sure? I thought the IWB was the ferrywagon Dapol produced in N. 

Alas, it has strange European bogies from the look of it, but the NACCO bogie seems to be vaguely close, so I will use that.

It is SO much easier when the manufacturer puts scale diagrams on their website...

David

post-6666-0-58400200-1379371776_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-20458000-1379371783_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dapol's has the 'A' frame ends. There are a good half dozen different styles of end, although I don't recognize the one you have there in any UK photos I've seen of an IWA/B. Both the IW and IWB have different roofs to your van. I think your van is one of the DB steel carriers (ILE690 "Holdall"). They used to run through the chunnel to Wolverhampton in the 1990s. If you remove most of the body and add stakes you get a Colas timber carrier from it, which is I believe where they all went !

If you want a "distinctive" van then the IZA and IVA are four wheel ferry vans which I keep thinking I should do but please beat me to it!

Alan

Hi Alan,

It seems to be referred to as an IWA(Sfins) in photos I've found of it, but wagons on the web seem to call it an IWA-B...

Edit: yes, it's TOPS IWA, manufacturer code ILE690 Cargowaggon, some have been converted into timber wagons for Colas sometime around 2010 it seems.

Confusing !

David

Edited by bmthtrains - David

Its a 'holdall' van (technically its actually a covered flat), they would have originally been Air braked & vac piped TOPS code IWB, but when the vac pipe was removed the TOPS code changed to IWA.

TOPS isn't really adequate for describing wagons like this, because there aren't enough letters in the middle to individually id the type.

I quite fancy one of these in 4mm - I've built a master for 1/2 several times, but never been happy enough with it to resin cast from it.

Jon

That is a very good looking wagon! If only i modelled in N.....

I know your focus is 2mm, but how difficult in the longer term would it be to take wagons like that above, reduce them to flat pieces in kit form (sides, ends, floor, roof, etc (internal support for rigidity?)) and double the dimensions up to 4mm? From what you said before scaling straight up a finished item like that to 4mm would be stupidly expensive, But does that still hold true for kit parts? (Working off the pricing of the prototype flat parts you designed for me with that question which was very good value.)

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

Great work on the IWA/Sfins.

As has been said, these are generally considered covered steel carriers and have been used for steel (in plain or Cargowaggon livery) and also by Norsk Hydro for, I think, fertiliser, though now the company is concerned with aluminium production.

The bogies are similar or the same to those fitted to the Dapol cargowaggon and their covered steel carrier.  The Dapol bogies are a clip fit, which is good, but don't have a coupler attached because their models have body-mounted close couplers.

Personally, I'd be happy to sacrifice a Dapol Cargowaggon for these and my request would be to design the deck to accept the Dapol bogies and close coupling mech.  This might mean modelling a small part of the floor separately so "sandwich in" the close coupling mech, but given the skills you clearly have I don't see this as a problem!

cheers

Ben A.

That is a very good looking wagon! If only i modelled in N.....

I know your focus is 2mm, but how difficult in the longer term would it be to take wagons like that above, reduce them to flat pieces in kit form (sides, ends, floor, roof, etc (internal support for rigidity?)) and double the dimensions up to 4mm? From what you said before scaling straight up a finished item like that to 4mm would be stupidly expensive, But does that still hold true for kit parts? (Working off the pricing of the prototype flat parts you designed for me with that question which was very good value.)

Cheers

If printed in WSF it would be reasonably cheap in OO, but to get the detail, using FUD would still cost the same as a kit as in the full print (though it wouldn't fit in the printer bed so would have to be chopped up anyway. The same volume of material is being used either way.

David

• Like 1

Personally, I'd be happy to sacrifice a Dapol Cargowaggon for these and my request would be to design the deck to accept the Dapol bogies and close coupling mech.  This might mean modelling a small part of the floor separately so "sandwich in" the close coupling mech, but given the skills you clearly have I don't see this as a problem!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I have the Dapol Cargowaggon, so I will draw up an alternative version as requested. I thought these wagons might be a nice addition specifically because the Dapol wagon is so hard to find these days.

David