3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

My Kirow crane arrived a couple of days ago, truly a superb job

post-6883-0-57053400-1377441316.jpg

Loosely assembled the major components to check clearances

post-6883-0-54232600-1377441395_thumb.jpg

There was never any doubt about height as I designed in plenty to allow for US auto racks and double stacks, the Kirow comfortably clears the nearest upright that might have caused concern so I'm well pleased.

I've not yet decided on whether I'll really want the 'play value' of replacing the printed fine pins with metal as recommended, that will be decided on when I get around to working on the crane.

I've downloaded the windows and transfers graphics from the website, but I've taken a shine to the Colas livery so I'll also have time to have a think about that as I continue to oh-so-slowly progress the layout work.

Just need Shapeways robots to sort out the runner wagons...

Regards, Gerry 8)

• Like 2

Hi David, any chance of a release of any 00 versions of your lovely N gauge on track plant stuff, except the rail grinder as Pete s already doing that?

(edit: stupid iPad)

Edited by Swifty11

• RMweb Gold

Hi David#

That print looks excellent but wow - the crane does look big!  Is it out of gauge on the prototype when stowed?  That angled bit at the top seems to be a good deal higher than the 66 (and the 70) and I thought they were designed to make the most of the gauge...

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, the model is slightly taller than it should be - in order to get the telescoping crane arm pieces working I was constrained by the minimum material thicknesses, so it's a bit thicker than I wanted, but as 'short' as I could get it without having to distort the proportions elsewhere.

Looks exaggerated in those photos due to the angle - here is as best a full side on view as i could get. You can see the flat corner of the crane arm pivot - this is the highest point. When I've measured it, it's about 2mm taller than the highest point on the 70.

post-6666-0-34962400-1377461692_thumb.jpg

As I've put on my website, the model is better suited for static display due the clearances and fragile nature of the small parts, though it does 'work'. it's actually the horizontal clearance that is the bigger issue, there is a fair bit of swing from the crane arm due to the overhang from the centre of the front bogie.

I was actually quite surprised it was possible to get a posable crane model working using 3D printing - it certainly pushes at the limits of the material tolerances, and posed considerable design challenges (Gerry's photo of all the parts laid out reminds me how complex a print it is!), but I think the compromises necessary are acceptable given the impressive appearance of the finished item.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'm perfectly happy with that, whether the crane is 'posed' on a layout or within a train running on a layout, it's not going to jar for a mere couple of millimetres.

In my case the runner wagons will place it far enough away from the loco's to lose that direct comparison - cruelly enhanced in my second photo by the optical lies :good: of the longer end of the zoom lens, something mother nature hasn't cursed we humans with.

Regards, Gerry 8)

I've placed a last minute order for two new items via Shapeways that will hopefully be able to be shown at TINGS the weekend after next - the revised IQA wagon, and an upgraded version of the Pendolino Pantograph car printed in Frosted Detail (not ultra). I've not used this material before, but Im hoping it will provide a smoother finish than WSF at a lower cost than FUD - the 390 doesn't need a huge amount of fine detail, just a sleek finish. Hopefully both will be on display (though not available to order yet) at the show.

I must confess to being slightly nervous about 'going public' - hopefully most people will understand 3D prints don't just pop out of a machine like a vending machine all tidy and finished, and that there is a lot of work needed to do yourself to get to the finished article. I've also got my mental slapping stick ready for any rivet counters who unfurl scale plans of the prototypes and start pointing out all the errors...

On the other hand, even if the show doesn't generate many orders for the models, it will be a nice marker for me in an interesting year. Last september I'd never even touched a CAD package and went on my evening class. 12 months later I've designed all these and am now about to start a degree in the subject!

For anyone going to the N Gauge Show, do drop by to stand 46 to have a close up look and a natter!

David

post-6666-0-57470300-1377515611_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I will definitely be there to see you on the Saturday!

Quite looking forwards to meeting you, firstly to find out who will be taking some of my hard earned money away from other things and secondly to have a look at the other models you have on offer.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

I'm not sure whether I'll be there on Saturday or Sunday but I'll certainly come and have a look and a chat.  The stand looks very nice inded.

The instructions are excellent too BTW - you don't fancy doing them for the NGS do you??  It takes me ages in CorelDraw!!!

cheers

Ben A.

The Kirow looks to be at the bleeding edge of the cutting edge of what's possible with 3D printing. Marvellous. On a geek note, I do like the use of P22JohnstonUnderground on your graphics. Good choice.

RWJ

• Like 1

A 3D doodle this afternoon - an idea for an N gauge bus - very generic design, but a bit of a play to see how a 2-part split down the middle approach works with regards to ease of painting access.

If printed in polished WSF this would only cost about £9, printed OHP acetate for the windows, decals for the livery. I tried doing the grab poles, but they would have to be far too thick, so some thin brass rod would do instead.

David

post-6666-0-99980100-1377621839_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-46765800-1377621848_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting approach on the bus David. One of the more obscure diecast makers did this in the 1940s/1950s when they produced a lookalike to the then-market-leading Dinky Toys double decker. Most of other N buses on Shapeways seem to conventional chassis/seating, inside a one piece body.

Looking forward to admiring your stand at TINGS. Now where are my scale plans.....

Mike

Looks interesting. I'd hate to try and assemble it without some pins/holes so it all lined up nicely though

Also from experience if you print the two halves in WSF you've no guarantee that they'll get polished down the same amount. Thats usually not a problem but in this case I wonder if it would be a bit awkward..

Think I'd split it interior + wheels/body + roof so any join was hidden. Some modern busses would be nice though, perhaps a bendibus with smoke generator 8)

Just in time for display at the N Gauge Show, the revised design for the IAQ wagon is ready to go - a much 'fuller' hood that looks more in proportion.

There is a very slim possibility that the first of the upgraded Pendolino coach might be here in time for the show as well, though as I've never printed in Frosted Detail (as opposed to FUD) before, I'm not even sure what it will look like.

David

post-6666-0-39679800-1378139694_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi,

My Kirow crane arrived a couple of days ago, truly a superb job

attachicon.gifKirow-smll.jpg

Loosely assembled the major components to check clearances

attachicon.gifKirow3.jpg

There was never any doubt about height as I designed in plenty to allow for US auto racks and double stacks, the Kirow comfortably clears the nearest upright that might have caused concern so I'm well pleased.

I've not yet decided on whether I'll really want the 'play value' of replacing the printed fine pins with metal as recommended, that will be decided on when I get around to working on the crane.

I've downloaded the windows and transfers graphics from the website, but I've taken a shine to the Colas livery so I'll also have time to have a think about that as I continue to oh-so-slowly progress the layout work.

Just need Shapeways robots to sort out the runner wagons...

Regards, Gerry 8)

What is the material used for this?

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

What is the material used for this?

The crane is in Frosted Ultra Detail, as are the runner wagon set.

The bogies for the crane are in White Strong & Flexible, which is why they need to be ordered additionally.

Just had the UPS delivery notification on the runner wagons :senile:

Regards, Gerry 8)